Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 08:41 PM

16 posts, read 44,603 times

Advertisements

I have strange situation. My 67 year old mother lives in Hedingham,NC. She had a history of depression. The problem is she has become agoraphobic over the past 2 years. She had 2 strokes over the past 10 years and had a ruptered appendix removed 4 years ago. Because of these issues her mobility has been more and more limited. She has become more and more fearful about leaving the house and getting out as time goes on. She also has bad sciatic pain that she has had epideral steriod injections. From her strokes it is not as easy for her to walk and be mobile. In turn this has become a vicious cycle. She has become weak from not using her legs and it has become increasingly difficult to get her out of the house. She lives in a nice home with my step-father that takes unbelievable care of her and we are grateful.
I believe that alot of her issues are fear based, which is why she needs a therapist.
However, she recently said she would like to find someone to "help" her and give her the coping skills she needs to get out and get back to they was she used to be. For her to be asking for a therapist means she is truly at her wits end.
The concern is that I am looking for someone to do phone sessions or for someone to come to her house. I'm not sure if this is possible? It would be temporary until she could get out more. She hasn't driven in over a year. funny enough she isnt that depressed, I just don't have the clinical framework to help her and I would really like to see her recieve some help.
She has medicare at this stage of her life but said she can pay out of pocket if necessary. She would also prefer a woman, no offense to the wonderful male social workers out there.
I live in New York and in sister lives Raleigh, but she has three children and has limited time to devote to this. Any feedback or contacts would be extremely helpful. She does not have a doctor in North Carolina. She has tried several but seems to be attached to her primary in NY. She goes back and forth between NC and NY. So she can't get a referral from a NC doctor for someone because she doesnt have a primary.
Thank you,
Mia
Moderator cut: Unwise to put your email address on the web! Please request people send you the info via DM (Direct Message)

Last edited by RaleighLass; 07-23-2010 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Removed email address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 06:43 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
I don't know if this will help, but you could try calling Carolina Partners In Mental Healthcare. They are a network of therapists, counselors, psychiatrists etc. They have offices all over the Triangle. Maybe they can do home visits or know someone who can. Good luck!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,612 times
Default psychologist

I just did a search in the North Carolina Psychological Association's referral base for providers that treat phobias. Here are some names that came up when I did a search within 20 miles of downtown Raleigh. (I am not familiar with any of these providers.)
Here is the website if you want to do your own search:

Referral Service - The North Carolina Psychological Association

Patricia Bowery
Highest Degree: Doctorate
527 Keisler Dr. #101
Cary
27518 North CarolinaUSA

Ann Waring
280 W. Millbrook Rd.
Raleigh
27609 North CarolinaUSA
919-846-7396

Bob Dick
3927 Benson Drive
Raleigh
27609 North CarolinaUSA
919-215-4703

Peter Summers
3701 NW Cary Parkway, #209
Cary
27513 North CarolinaUSA

Old 07-23-2010, 09:57 AM

16 posts, read 44,603 times
Thank you so much for taking the time out to help. It means so much to me. I will make contact and let you know how it turns out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary