Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:13 PM

13 posts, read 23,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPPDwhippingBoy View Post
I worked there far too long, and it was the worst job in my professional career. I'll start off by saying that Dilbert wasn't funny before my employment there, and now it's frighteningly accurate. I worked in RTP. The management didn't know much about how to manage; they were poor communicators with a sense of self-righteousness, and didn't have a problem trying to publicly humiliate you. I never really saw them unless they felt I had done something wrong, or if they wanted to dump work on me so they could go home at 5:00. There was no sense of community there. I worked in a dim grim cubicle surrounded by other dim grim cubicles with people from other departments. No one ever spoke to each other. It was as if human contact was frowned upon unless it was project-related. People within walking distance would rarely discuss projects face-to-face; instead it was email or the phone. One of the quintessential PPD moments was when I got in trouble for actually trying to take on additional responsibilities. It's a dysfunctional work environment with few ties to reality. I understand that a company needs to make money, and I have no problem with that. The problems they face are too many self-imposed policies that inhibit rather than produce, unrealistic budget expectations, and a ban on microwave popcorn rumoured to be in place because the CEO doesn't like the smell. Avoid Avoid Avoid.
Thanks, will do. I think at this point I'd rather be unemployed for just a little longer.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 02:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoskii View Post
Its just they screen you three or four times before they even meet you. Like seriously, can you meet me and then decide if you ever want to see me again, lol!
Three or four times might be excessive, but I fully understand doing some telephone screening before bringing people in for interviews. I've been involved in a lot of hiring at my company, and for every position we post we have been receiving between 150 and 250 resumes. Probably 3/4ths never make it past a two-minute review of the resume. From there a dedicated recruiter will do a phone screen to flesh out experience and find out if the candidate communicates well and has a good personality to fit into the organization. After that a hiring manager will typically do a second phone screen of those passed through by the recruitier. Finally, a small number will be invited in for in-person interviews.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 PM

I must clearly be falling in the 3/4ths of the resumes being ditched. I did not realize that several degrees do not give you an edge here. WOW! Legal and medical backgrounds and no job yet. I guess I had never experienced something like this but you live and learn.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:55 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
I must clearly be falling in the 3/4ths of the resumes being ditched. I did not realize that several degrees do not give you an edge here. WOW! Legal and medical backgrounds and no job yet. I guess I had never experienced something like this but you live and learn.
That's something about this area - there are so many people with those backgrounds, and so many people with advanced degrees...on the one hand, there's a lot of biotech; on the other hand, there are a lot of people looking for biotech jobs with the same qualifications/background. It's pretty nerve-wracking. Should I lose my job (which is always on my mind because of the economy) I'd probably move out of the area, as there are a lot of PhDs looking to do what I do and I only have a master's.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:36 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
To be honest, in my experience, if your resume hasn't impressed me before I get to the "Education" section (ususally the last section on most resumes), I'm very unlikely to consider you unless there is something truly outstanding about your educational background. In this market there are plenty of good candidates, all of whom have at least a decent education, and more than a few of which have some pretty significant job experience in the area in which I'm hiring. Education is sometimes a differentiator between good candidates, but it's rarely enough all by itself to get you in the door.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:16 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
To be honest, in my experience, if your resume hasn't impressed me before I get to the "Education" section (ususally the last section on most resumes), I'm very unlikely to consider you unless there is something truly outstanding about your educational background. In this market there are plenty of good candidates, all of whom have at least a decent education, and more than a few of which have some pretty significant job experience in the area in which I'm hiring. Education is sometimes a differentiator between good candidates, but it's rarely enough all by itself to get you in the door.
Exactly. I look at tons of resumes everyday, and honestly I rarely even look at education, as I want to see work experience. Education is one of the last things I will even look at. I don't even read a summary of skills or anything but the body of the actual position when I am looking for the first first time at a resume.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:53 PM

Well I guess that I should have used my "skills" to research the job market better. Unfortunately there was not much choice for me as far as relocation was concerned. However, I began applying in April way before moving. I figured with 15 years of legal experience entailing criminal, civil, appellate law and a couple of years of nursing something would give but was I wrong. Thanks all for keeping it real though, for a minute there I thought I was losing my mind. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary