Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:28 PM

6 posts, read 20,986 times

Advertisements

Hello forum,

I am new here, so I apologize if this is the incorrect forum or if this has already been answered. I did use the search function and did not see what I was looking for.

My wife and I are relocating to Raleigh in about a week, and I will soon be needing some service/help/parts for my semi-beloved '79 VW Rabbit diesel, possibly including:

1. fuel pump rebuilding (think it just needs a good cleaning and new seals- I'm hoping to do it myself, but it would be good to know a place that has parts or will rebuild one)
2. minor body repair (small dent on driver's side headlight panel)
3. rust repair/painting (sunroof is rusty, small rust spots forming in paint)

and potentially in the future a veggie oil conversion. It may indeed need more, but it drives ok for now minus the fuel pump being a little wonky. In fact it has very low miles on it, but its been sitting for a while. So I can get around for now, but I definitely have plans to put some time, energy, and money into it.

I don't want to break the bank, but its a reliable little beastie that gets 45mpg, almost goes 70mph downhill, and I'd like to help it last for a while.

I'll also be looking for a cheap daily driver for my wife, something reliable that can carry a few things from the garden center and stuff like that.

Anybody have any recommendations for repair shops for my car, repair shops that sell good used vehicles, or a source in general you guys trust for good work/good used cars/car parts/etc. around town?

Thank you in advance for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 10:03 AM

Anybody?

Old 07-24-2010, 11:40 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,955,901 times
As far as the auto repair ,2 places I have used are good and fairly priced.
They don't do everything and will tell you what they do & don't do.

Duty Tires on Atlantic
AAA Auto (corner of Avent Ferry & Gorman)

I don't know of anyplace that repairs, does body work & sells used cars..
That might be a great one stop business idea..The Walmart for Cars.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:47 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,122,497 times
We took our VW to Village Motorwerks, but our VW wasn't that old, and Village Motorwerks doesn't do body work. But they might be able to refer you.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 5 hours ago)

43,048 posts, read 76,581,655 times
I would go to West German Garage at Hillsborough Street and Jones Franklin Rd.
http://www.westgerman.com/
They did well for me a few years ago when I had a limping 1987 Mercedes diesel.
Always met or came in under their quoted price on services.

You may find some poor reviews on some sites, but they do not reflect my experiences.

I don't know about body work, but they may be able to steer you.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:58 PM

Excellent advice everyone, and a good starting point for me. Thank you very much!

Now I just need to get the parts and rebuild my vacuum pump that just blew today in time so I can move on Friday. Yikes!

Old 07-24-2010, 10:51 PM

78 posts, read 160,201 times
Default I recommend Autobahn Automotive in Raleigh

I would highly recommend Autobahn Automotive in Raleigh for any mechanical work. I don't think they do body work and I also don't think they have a car lot. Robert may know of specific cars for sale from time to time, but again, there is not for sale car lot there.

I've taken my VW diesel there since I've owned it and Robert really seems to know what he's doing, and, he does QUALITY work. Another plus is they have a loaner car program.

http://autobahn-automotive.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatisnotafrog View Post
Hello forum,

I am new here, so I apologize if this is the incorrect forum or if this has already been answered. I did use the search function and did not see what I was looking for.

My wife and I are relocating to Raleigh in about a week, and I will soon be needing some service/help/parts for my semi-beloved '79 VW Rabbit diesel, possibly including:

1. fuel pump rebuilding (think it just needs a good cleaning and new seals- I'm hoping to do it myself, but it would be good to know a place that has parts or will rebuild one)
2. minor body repair (small dent on driver's side headlight panel)
3. rust repair/painting (sunroof is rusty, small rust spots forming in paint)

and potentially in the future a veggie oil conversion. It may indeed need more, but it drives ok for now minus the fuel pump being a little wonky. In fact it has very low miles on it, but its been sitting for a while. So I can get around for now, but I definitely have plans to put some time, energy, and money into it.

I don't want to break the bank, but its a reliable little beastie that gets 45mpg, almost goes 70mph downhill, and I'd like to help it last for a while.

I'll also be looking for a cheap daily driver for my wife, something reliable that can carry a few things from the garden center and stuff like that.

Anybody have any recommendations for repair shops for my car, repair shops that sell good used vehicles, or a source in general you guys trust for good work/good used cars/car parts/etc. around town?

Thank you in advance for your time!

Old 07-25-2010, 08:13 PM

Fred, thank you for taking the time to post! I will definitely check them out. If you want to PM me your name, I can tell them you sent me.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:46 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,947,578 times
Been using A&J Automotive for nearly ten years now and have had nothing but positive experiences there. They have two locations, one on Departure Drive in N. Raleigh and another over on 64.
A & J Automotive - Auto Repair in Raleigh

Old 07-26-2010, 12:08 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,026,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
We took our VW to Village Motorwerks, but our VW wasn't that old, and Village Motorwerks doesn't do body work. But they might be able to refer you.
I love the folks at Village Motorwerks! I have a VW and and an Audi and they work on both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary