U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 09:31 AM

49 posts, read 99,988 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're moving to Chapel Hill in the next couple of weeks. I need to set up internet/phone/TV. We have Verizon FIOS here in the DC area (love, love, love it).

Anyhow, I know TWC will be the vendor of choice for our new home. I've been to their website, but it keeps freezing up and I'm trying to get info on a "bundle" for what I need.

Any advice on what to look for? Specifically a bundle with services I mention above?

Thanks for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 AM

375 posts, read 1,077,839 times
The site freezing should give you an indication of how well their services work...

You can customize the phone/internet speed/channel choices to what works for you. There's normally a new customer promotion going around - I think right now its all 3 for $100 for a year. They'll try to lock you into a 2 yr price lock guarantee. This is a contract, and you will have to pay to break it. They can't raise the base price of the services, but they can raise the fees and taxes. Also, the 2 yr lock will automatically renew unless you catch it in time - but it'll adjust to a higher price when it does.

The DVR hardware is hit and miss - the boxes need to be rebooted constantly, and finding a DVR that even works is a feat in itself. I'm on my 5th box - and the DVR doesn't work on this one either. I've given up on that feature.

For specific speeds and such, you'll have to wait for the site to come back up.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:05 AM

321 posts, read 832,757 times
someonelikeyou - Call TW and see what specials they have going on now - it will depend on what channels you want, etc. As we all know, internet sites freeze for a variety of reasons and on every internet provider. And for the record, we have never had DVR issues. Ever. Nor have any of our neighbors or friends here or in Wilmington where we used to live.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:08 AM

321 posts, read 832,757 times
FYI...I just surfed around their site with no problems.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:34 PM

5,822 posts, read 8,103,298 times
We tried the online stuff, but got a much better deal calling in and talking to a live person.

Just fyi as a previous Fios user also, you will HATE TWC lol

We have not had DVR issues with our TWC, but the internet speed is nothing like FIOS.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:43 PM

23 posts, read 42,169 times
We just moved to Chapel Hill 4 days ago and were better off calling Time Warner to set up a time to install.I did get a bundle and some sort of a discount for a 12 month contract.So far so good but am not in love with it yet.The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing..The guy who sold it on the phone and the guy who came to set up had different options so needless to say someone will come out AGAIN to drop off the DVR which was signed up on the phone,but the tech guy did not know about it.The service especially the internet is fast but we did sign up for the turbo whatever adverstised on their website.Good luck with your move.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,789,484 times
My experience with TWC is that I wish they had competition (other cable) their lack of this makes them very careless with their customers. I haven't moved there yet, but the process I have had trying to get through to anyone in RAleigh to sort out my install has been a nightmare and making me wish there was Brighthouse Roadrunner in the area.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 PM

91 posts, read 175,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaflora View Post
The site freezing should give you an indication of how well their services work...
i'd welcome the competition & am not 100% satisfied with TWC, for the record.

that said, they offer a $99/mo introductory bundle for the services you describe. 1yr? 2yr? i dunno.

i've used their services in CH forever. $175/mo for their fastest internet (10dn/0.5up...*not* FIOS by a long shot), and the basic digital TV package with 2 boxes (1 DVR), no phone. add ~$75/mo for AT&T landline, as cell coverage in CH can be spotty (and is nonexistent at our house, from any carrier)

i just changed to their 'signature home' service (at $200/mo). internet goes to 50/10, 2 networked DVR boxes are included, phone service, and 'premium' tech support...which has been absolutely, bend-over-backwards helpful with some install issues.

cancel AT&T and net savings of ~$40/mo, plus way fast i'net and a 2nd DVR.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:04 PM

9,680 posts, read 25,638,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaflora View Post

You can customize the phone/internet speed/channel choices to what works for you. There's normally a new customer promotion going around - I think right now its all 3 for $100 for a year. They'll try to lock you into a 2 yr price lock guarantee. This is a contract, and you will have to pay to break it. They can't raise the base price of the services, but they can raise the fees and taxes. Also, the 2 yr lock will automatically renew unless you catch it in time - but it'll adjust to a higher price when it does.

The DVR hardware is hit and miss - the boxes need to be rebooted constantly, and finding a DVR that even works is a feat in itself. I'm on my 5th box - and the DVR doesn't work on this one either. I've given up on that feature.

For specific speeds and such, you'll have to wait for the site to come back up.
DVR is improved with the new Cisco unit. Way better than before but not 100% perfect (what is).

TWC has a new customer deal $99/mo for 12 mos with all their deluxe services. I think the deal now includes DVR. You qualify.

Call. Forget the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary