Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:16 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,345 times

Advertisements

This was fan-freaking-tastic!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 03:18 AM

I am surprised that there were zero comments on the photos from the Durham Library opening...

Are we jealous? Do we really hate Durham that much? Or does the person with screen name 'Fester600' really repulse everyone?

Maybe it is a little from column A, a little from column B, and a little from column C...

Cheers!
Matt

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...look-into.html

Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,741 times
Fester,

The photos were great! I wish I had the car yesterday so I could go by at lunchtime.

My daughter and I went by yesterday evening and were surprised (and disappointed) to see that the library closed at 6. Perhaps I just overlooked it in the articles in the newspaper, but I did not recall seeing that the library would only be open until 6 on Wednesdays. The smarter thing would have been to push the grand opening back a day. There were quite a few folks who also tried to visit the library yesterday evening and walked away disappointed.

I'm glad you made the grand opening, and I am glad to see the photos with the large crowd of folks who made it to the library's opening day!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:07 AM

50 posts, read 94,728 times
All Durham County Libraries close at 6PM on Wednesdays -- they've been doing that for about 2 months now.

I agree though, opening on a day when the library closes early seems a little short-sighted

Old 07-29-2010, 08:10 AM

335 posts, read 800,932 times
I'm really jealous that the new branch opened just after I moved to VA. One of my great pleasures in life is going to a new library. Hope y'all enjoy it!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:19 PM

72 posts, read 288,073 times
Default Nice!

We also made it out to check out the new library - very nice. I like the open design with lots of natural light (not the beer), many computers, abundant comfortable chairs, and a good selection of books, recordings, DVDs, etc.

We also discovered a little eastern European grocery/deli just across Alston Ave from the library. Will have to return to try the pierogies and kielbasa.

My only complaint about the library is the proximity (or lack of) to people. The Parkwood library was within walking distance of 1000s of homes. I guess it's a bit late for that bit of feedback.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:26 PM

531 posts, read 1,982,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nicewarner View Post
All Durham County Libraries close at 6PM on Wednesdays -- they've been doing that for about 2 months now.

I agree though, opening on a day when the library closes early seems a little short-sighted
I'm pretty sure they scheduled the grand opening quite a while ago. Meanwhile, the new policy to close all libraries at 6 on Wednesdays was decided only only about a month ago (after the county budget cuts came through).

Old 07-29-2010, 03:27 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
I love living somewhere that is actually opening new libraries instead of mothballing them. I know we've cut back Wednesday hours but that is minor compared to many counties around the nation and their struggles to fund their libraries.

Matt, the photos are beautiful!!! I was there at the same time and I don't know how we missed the Only Burger truck. BUT the library it self and the festivities were AMAZING.

In regards to the location.... as I understand, DPS use to own this land. They sold it to the County to build the new library. (So the site might have been an issue of affordable land in South Durham. ???) I personally wish they could have bought that old Parkwood Plaza and built the new library there. As someone else posted there were so many people in Parkwood who could walk to the library and now can't. BUT I am hoping that Lowes Grove Middle School and Kestrel Heights (just up the road) partner with the library for programs.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times
Great pictures!! Thanks, Fester!! I wasn't able to make it as I was at work. Someone told me they thought they saw horses there. I don't know if they meant mounted police for crowd control (didn't know we had those in Durham?) or what. Did anyone else see that??

My understanding is that the building behind the library, which was a school the county wants to make into offices. Don't know if that's still on the agenda given the budget crunch.

The plaza in Parkwood was to be bought by the city who was going to build a recreational center, as all the parking and infarstructure is already there, but when the economy tanked they decided not too. The plan had already been made to move the library anyway.

Halgo, the European store is excellent, btw. They have great choices and the owners love to make their customers happy, especially with lots of samples from the deli. Hopefully the new library will help to expand their customer base.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:48 AM

It would be nice if they turned this building into something. I have no idea if they will fix it up or not, but it is right behind the library and would make a perfect spot for an office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary