Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 AM

17 posts, read 56,171 times

Advertisements

I know this post may sound strange, but my family will be moving from South Florida (Palm Beach County) to the Raleigh area as soon as my husband finds a job (which yes, I know, could take a while, we are willing to wait!) We are desperately trying to get away from snob-ville - which is where we live now. There is primo importance placed on the size of your diamond, where you live, what you drive and of course, what size you wear! That is just not "us" at all. My husband is a professional and we have two boys 5 and 7. We are very excited about the move - everyone is so nice there! Looking for down to earth, family friendly neighborhoods. North Raleigh or Cary area perhaps Any advice? Places to avoid? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 AM

76 posts, read 220,023 times
I think Cary is wrongly stereotyped as the Rich people's city that all the people from the North move to. Now, that latter may be true (haha - I'm from Ohio), but Cary is really just like any other U.S. city. It does have an area called Prestine, that you could say a lot of the higher end housing is in, but in general, Cary is relaxed, and has many, many nice neighborhoods.
I've heard the median salary in Cary is around $80K... but my family is way, way below that (family of 5, single income family) and we live comfortably in Cary and have never felt looked down upon because of our possessions.
I guess though if someone did say something, I would just laugh it off anyhow
Hope that helps! Good luck on your move!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 AM

66 posts, read 129,351 times
Oakcroft in N Raleigh is a great family neighborhood.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:21 AM

251 posts, read 515,150 times
I live in Apex in Brookshire Manor and my neighbors are pretty cool. I avoid snobs like the plague. There are some in Cary and there are some in Raleigh, you just have to have the right attitude but for the most part, I've found people here to be refreshingly down to earth! Good luck!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,425 times
in reality there are snobs everywhere; I find it's a simple matter to ignore them and in most cases I wouldn't even notice their 'status symbols' - or even care if I did. I certainly wouldn't relocate accross the country if that was the major reason for moving as there are many many many more important issues to consider 1st - that's my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemily View Post
I know this post may sound strange, but my family will be moving from South Florida (Palm Beach County) to the Raleigh area as soon as my husband finds a job (which yes, I know, could take a while, we are willing to wait!) We are desperately trying to get away from snob-ville - which is where we live now. There is primo importance placed on the size of your diamond, where you live, what you drive and of course, what size you wear! That is just not "us" at all. My husband is a professional and we have two boys 5 and 7. We are very excited about the move - everyone is so nice there! Looking for down to earth, family friendly neighborhoods. North Raleigh or Cary area perhaps Any advice? Places to avoid? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the great advice and well wishes! Naturally, there are many, many, many, many important issues we are considering which are driving our decision to relocate. The most important being that my 7 year old will need oncology care at Duke.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
I haven't really met any snobs since moving here a few years ago. We live in a part of Raleigh where there are million dollar homes and where my children go to school with kids who very likely come from families with way more cash than we have and you wouldn't know it. My son recently was given a super cool high end cell phone and the only group of friends who even acknowledged it were those from back in New York.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,070 times
I dunno....there are definitely stereotypes about various neighborhoods, and I've certainly seen people size each other up based on cars, etc. But we moved from Tampa and it's NOTHING like that there. We live in Morrisville and love it--kids go to school in "Cary"--that is, the NW part that Cary "ate" that most natives wouldn't really consider "Cary." Most of all I really don't see snobbishness where we live/play/go to school. There are plenty of down-to-earth kid-friendly n'hoods around.

A have a good friend in a pricey Wake Forest 'burb who swears it's all NY transplants (she is one) who are snobby and that there's no racial diversity. I was shocked since that wasn't my experience here. Inside the Beltline is an area I adore but I'd heard that natives live there and that natives are none to fond of transplants, and I didn't want to force myself on them (LOL).

I am under oncology and neurology care at Duke and I'm about 15-20 min from there where I live.

I don't know what your budget is...if I did I could suggest some neighborhoods. Also, hubby's commute will be a big factor!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:57 AM

Thank You! Yes, I should have mentioned our housing budget is around 250K.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
I've lived in North Raleigh almost my whole life and wouldn't say that there are "pockets" of snobs--there are good people and bad people everywhere, of course. The "old money" folks in town who might be more prone to snobbism are generally "Inside The Beltline" (capitalization on purpose) but that is not to say that even the "old Raleigh" neighborhoods are full of snobs. Similalry, some of the most brand-new neighborhoods might attract people who "DEMAND new construction, a huge ____ acre lot and a new school" etc. but that doesn't mean everyone or even most folks in those neighborhoods arae "snobs". This ain't no Palm Beach!

The part of North Raleigh that some call "Midtown" and just beyond (I'd say between the Beltline and Sawmill Road) has older homes (20-40 years old) but wonderful, mature yards and I would recommend that as somewhere to check out. The houses are nice but unassuming (no "McMansions" like many of the brand new places) and it's very convenient to things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary