Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 02:03 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
No, unless the pedestrian is crossing in a legal crosswalk, the vehicle has the right of way. This is from the NC Code:

[SIZE=3]20‑174. Crossing at other than crosswalks; walking along highway.[/SIZE]
(a) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right‑of‑way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
From NC DOT:
"Under North Carolina law, pedestrians have the right of way at all intersections and driveways. However, pedestrians must act responsibly, using pedestrian signals where they are available. When crossing the road at any other point than a marked or unmarked crosswalk or when walking along or upon a highway, a pedestrian has a statutory duty to yield the right of way to all vehicles on the roadway. It is the duty of pedestrians to look before starting across a highway, and in the exercise of reasonable care for their own safety, to keep a timely lookout for approaching motor vehicle traffic. On roadways where there is no sidewalk, pedestrians should always walk facing traffic."

So, obviously, the pedestrian is legally required to yield, but it is clear that they are to yield that which they have been granted, the right of way.
Drivers hitting pedestrians willy-nilly will not get far claiming the right of way.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,089 times
My DH said the same thing Mike...just try hitting someone & see who has the right of way. Thanks for getting the details...

Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,047 times
little kids 6 or 7 or under cannot be held negligent, so then the plaintiff attorney tries to put blame on the driver of the car for speeding, or not paying attention, or something, and it becomes a jury issue in civil court. But what parent wants to be a plaintiff in civil court because their child was serious injured or killed? I see way too many kids just running loose , unsupervised, in neighborhoods doing things like darting in the street from between cars, etc. I cannot understand this, I would be afraid to let my dog run around like this, let alone my child

Old 07-31-2010, 03:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
I'm headed out to play in the street today. 75,000 people are hanging out in the middle of Fayetteville street today for Raleigh Wide Open. Let's hope the cops don't start handing out $25 fines there! Mayor Meeker would be real upset!

Old 07-31-2010, 04:44 PM

93 posts, read 164,061 times
This isn't about kids playing in the street, it's about the kids toys (equipment) that are in the street. Everyone continues to ignore that point.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:33 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,810 times
I live in a personal hell with a neighbor who has called the police on my kids regularly for playing street hockey. She has called because they were "blocking" the street. BS. She calls because she's a wretched, bitter, nasty woman who enjoys wasting taxpayer money calling the cops. It's called STREET HOCKEY! It's not loud, it gets kids out of the house, off their non-exercise ride on toys, makes them run, sweat, think, play as a team ...

When kids can't play in the street (particularly cul de sacs) or outside anymore, look out, America- the obesity and ADD epidemic we're facing now? Will look like a walk in the park. I don't want my kids relegated to playing inside all the time - they NEED the fresh air, sunshine, and camaraderie! I would much rather hear the sound of a basketball or hear the squealing of kids playing on a trampoline or the sound of go karts or whatever - than the sound of police cruisers looking for little vandals whose parents kept them inside their whole childhoods.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:25 AM

93 posts, read 164,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
I live in a personal hell with a neighbor who has called the police on my kids regularly for playing street hockey. She has called because they were "blocking" the street. BS. She calls because she's a wretched, bitter, nasty woman who enjoys wasting taxpayer money calling the cops. It's called STREET HOCKEY! It's not loud, it gets kids out of the house, off their non-exercise ride on toys, makes them run, sweat, think, play as a team ...

When kids can't play in the street (particularly cul de sacs) or outside anymore, look out, America- the obesity and ADD epidemic we're facing now? Will look like a walk in the park. I don't want my kids relegated to playing inside all the time - they NEED the fresh air, sunshine, and camaraderie! I would much rather hear the sound of a basketball or hear the squealing of kids playing on a trampoline or the sound of go karts or whatever - than the sound of police cruisers looking for little vandals whose parents kept them inside their whole childhoods.
So what gives you the right to put two hockey nets in the street, effectively closing a public street to traffic? Since when did the 'street' become your property to put whatever you wanted on there? This would be the equivalent of a bunch of people putting lawn chairs and sitting in the middle of the street.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityslick View Post
So what gives you the right to put two hockey nets in the street, effectively closing a public street to traffic? Since when did the 'street' become your property to put whatever you wanted on there? This would be the equivalent of a bunch of people putting lawn chairs and sitting in the middle of the street.
I sympathize with both positions. thinking back when I was a kid, we always played outside - kickball, softball, basketball, army, all that stuff, but we NEVER played in the street. back in the day there used to be a lot more large lots, vacant lots and fields and stuff to play in. Nowdays, everything is developed and yards are postage stamps (unlike the old days when many houses had expansive yards), leaving kids being somewhat forced to play in the street (like city kids always had to), when I had a young kid, I loved all the kids out playing, screaming, etc. Now as an empty nester, I like peace and quiet but I am not about to start yelling at kids and calling cops - kids should be outside playing, but parents should supervise for safety of their kids, and to prevent kids from damaging other peoples property or causing unnecessary disturance.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:02 AM

746 posts, read 2,247,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityslick View Post
we don't block the street - any cars that want to come and go can. I'm thrilled that my kids love to play outside. We don't have as single hand-held game.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:25 AM

345 posts, read 1,060,334 times
What do the cops do/say when they come?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary