Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 PM

17 posts, read 26,484 times

Advertisements

Saucy... I am curious why no one else in town knew this was such as serious problem that some members of the Town Board feel that they must direct the Town Attorney to research a way to collect fines because of it.

In addition, I am so puzzled why the town would make this policy in light of the fact that the economy is horrible and homes are not selling irregardless of town govt looking to make "additional parenting laws" to help all of us moron parents raise our kids apparently (yes, my kids ride their bikes and even, Oh my goodness, play catch in the cul de sac!).

Once this nightmare is unleashed, people will steer clear of buying a home in Holly Springs.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:35 PM

27 posts, read 31,665 times
Do you assume I don't have children. My children grow up on the cul de sac but, they were not allowed to play in the street. They were allowed to ride their bikes when supervised and had to call me to cross the street. They played in the yard, both front and back and at times in the park. I moved to a cul de sac because of the quiet not so my kids use a public street as a playground. If people say the park isn't safe for the children to walk or ride their bikes too perhaps the parents should go with them and supervise. As for the police the reason the chief was not on camera was he nodded in agreement with the Mayor when asked if he backed this however, he wanted to hold off on commenting until further information came to light. Put yourself on the flip side. What about the kids who don't get out of the way, who throw the balls at the cars, who run in and out of the street without regard to the cars, I just don't understand why you would want children to play in the street. Tell me really if something God forbid happened to one your kids I can guarantee you you would be one the first people to call a lawyer. A cul de sac is a public street, just like every other street, I don't understand how you don't get it

Old 08-02-2010, 12:44 PM

3,050 posts, read 5,002,913 times
^What is it with you and lawyers, you've said that twice now.

I guess it just comes down to opinion - I feel it's safer to have my children playing in a "quiet" street rather than forcing them out of the neighborhood in search of alternatives. I get it, I just don't agree with you.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 PM

Playing in a cul de sac tucked in the back of a neighborhood is certainly different than playing on Holly Springs Road or Gable Ridge Road or Crossway Lane, or Arbor Creek Drive.

I mentioned parks because you said the kids can just go "play in the parks"..I was simply asking how they are to get there? Even if I am with them on MY bike to accompany them, there is no guarantee I will not be hit riding on HS Road or Avent Ferry Road. You missed my point.. there's no safe access to parks for kids or adults.

I have had to ask kids to move, I have had to stop and wait for a kid to grab a street hockey ball, I have had to stop and get out and move a bike. It does not bother me. I moved to a community because there are a large number of children here. It's what I wanted, it's what I wanted for my kids. I hear kids outside all the time.. screaming, yelling, laughing, playing. It's a happy "noise"... it's a welcome "noise".

If a child is disrespectful to me, I go speak with the parent, and more often than not, the issue is handled. Parents in my neighborhood thank each other for picking up a skateboard or informing them if their child went one house down the block too far from where they were supposed to be.

Basically, I believe my neighborhood functions as it should. The "it takes a village" concept. We look out for each others kids, we encourage them to play together, we foster friendships.

It sounds like you don't have that relationship with your neighbors. Your lots are small in Remington. It's obvious that if someone installs a concrete pad for basketball or hockey in their back yard you'd still have the noise. What would you do then? The "cul de sac" may be quiet in the front, but there would still the the issue for you (since you mentioned quiet) of the "noise" of children coming from yards...front, back or side.

I live on the "flip side" of what you are talking about. I have never, ever had the problem of having items thrown at my car, or kids running into the middle of the road in front of me, or kids who refused to get out of the way. It's a shame you are experiencing these issues. Have you spoken to the parents? Have you tried to ask the parents to be aware their children are being rude?

And again, you speak of the "God forbid" factor what if something happens to my kids? I fear that no matter what. And like I said, they can't ride their bikes to any park in Holly Springs, or to school even. There are not safe routes to school either.

If I did have to call a lawyer because something happened to my kid it would be because someone was speeding through my neighborhood, which is a daily crisis that the police can't seem to get a handle on.

Unfortunately for you, you live in a neighborhood that is also loaded with kids. Even if the town does approve this ban, I am not quite convinced you wouldn't be upset if your neighbor's kids were making noise playing in their own yards.

Also if the town approves the ban, will our taxes go up to pay for more police officers to come attend to all the calls, because from what you are saying this is a huge problem that requires police follow up in many cases.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,490,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostosay View Post
Saucy... I am curious why no one else in town knew this was such as serious problem that some members of the Town Board feel that they must direct the Town Attorney to research a way to collect fines because of it.

In addition, I am so puzzled why the town would make this policy in light of the fact that the economy is horrible and homes are not selling irregardless of town govt looking to make "additional parenting laws" to help all of us moron parents raise our kids apparently (yes, my kids ride their bikes and even, Oh my goodness, play catch in the cul de sac!).

Once this nightmare is unleashed, people will steer clear of buying a home in Holly Springs.
Absolutely. We will be in the market for buying a house once our lease is up on 7 months. Holly Springs was high on the list of locations. Now it's off the list.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:02 PM

Dear Whostosay: I don't care about noise, I like kids, genuinely, I have kids, when they were younger I had the Kool Aid house with kids all over the place, kids aren't the problem now I have older kids around, dogs, people, I don't care about the noise. If I didn't care about kids would their safety be a concern of mine. You are fortunate that you have neighbors that are responsive to "hey could you please tell the kids not to throw things at the car, etc." After speaking with many people in many neighorhoods yours is the exception not the rule. I've gotten answers like "oh my kids would never do that" or they just don't care. I see these kids playing hide and seek under the cars, under the cars and if you mention that in a nice way to parents they look at you like you've got two heads. Let me just say this there must be a great deal of people with issues like hockey, soccer - whatever because the two council members were quick to offer those up after I spoke about the basketball hoops.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:40 PM

4,480 posts, read 11,642,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Absolutely. We will be in the market for buying a house once our lease is up on 7 months. Holly Springs was high on the list of locations. Now it's off the list.
Be sure to cross Apex off your list as well - they already have a similar law in place.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 PM

As does Garner and Chapel Hill

Old 08-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Again, chris1963 I would like to see documentation of ALL the police reports that have come in over the last year, and what streets they have come from, that are complaining about kids in the streets. Your presentation was the first I have heard about this "crisis" in and on our streets.

Yes, some of the council members were quick to jump on the bandwagon to put all the additional items in the ordinance so that no "piece of equipment" would be left out. I am not sure why they did that. None of them have small children anymore. Maybe they forgot what it's like to live in a neighborhood with small children. I don't know. We all know how the older generations love to tell younger generations how we are supposed to do things

From what you are saying, it seems as if you just really don't like where you live and because your neighbors don't parent well, you want the local town government to step in and make assurances that they do parent to your standards.

I guess if I were in your shoes, I'd make sure to tell my fellow neighbors I am very concerned I am going to hit one of their wee ones in the cul de sac. I get home from work everyday at 6 p.m.could you please be outside with your children, or make sure they know to move to make way for my car because I am so concerned they will be hit, especially during the fall when it begins to get dark early. If the parents refuse to cooperate and are rude to you, then contact the police for mediation. (If you don't have an HOA. If you have an HOA, they can mediate this issue too).

Now what is happening is everyone in town will be obligated to "parent" according to rules set forth by all these people in town who have problems with their neighbors.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:10 PM

113 posts, read 728,238 times
So why is everyone getting so huffy puffy about it happening in Holly Springs if it's already in these other area towns? There's obviously some merit to it then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary