U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:45 AM

975 posts, read 3,529,711 times

Advertisements

No offense to anyone, but personally I'm NOT looking to replicate the NYC experience when I move--I'm starting to wonder from these boards if the only people I'll meet if I move down there are other Jerseyites and Long Islanders???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 12:12 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,965,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
No offense to anyone, but personally I'm NOT looking to replicate the NYC experience when I move--I'm starting to wonder from these boards if the only people I'll meet if I move down there are other Jerseyites and Long Islanders???
Now do you really think that everyone in the state is from NY or NJ? Really?

You will meet people from all over the US and the world.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,965,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC Fan View Post
You are certainly perceptive. Your post is right on the money.
Now you do really think that everyone here is from NJ or NY? Certainly quite a few are, but I meet people from a variety of places and native everyday....not just there.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:41 PM

Default well...

someone on here was saying there are whole communites down there where almost everyone is a recent transplant from the NY/NJ region, that's why I'm asking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Now do you really think that everyone in the state is from NY or NJ? Really?

You will meet people from all over the US and the world.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:53 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,253,505 times
Our street is broken down something like this

NC natives: 5
CA: 1
AZ: 1
CO: 1
SC: 1
VA: 1
IL: 1
MI: 1
OH: 2
NY, NJ, MA: 9
TX: 2
don't know: 5

Old 06-24-2007, 01:51 PM

Do the new arrivals usually get on with things, or do they blather on endlessly about the Yankees and how the pizza was better in NY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Our street is broken down something like this

NC natives: 5
CA: 1
AZ: 1
CO: 1
SC: 1
VA: 1
IL: 1
MI: 1
OH: 2
NY, NJ, MA: 9
TX: 2
don't know: 5

Old 06-24-2007, 02:26 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,253,505 times
I think they all "get on with things" quite quickly. In fact I must say that they are some of the first on our particular street to get get togethers and such organized. They are all involved and I don't hear much of comparison talk. But honestly isn't the pizza better in NY and if so why wouldn't you miss that. I mean the mexican food is definitely better in CA and I don't feel obligated to say NC has great mexican food when it doesn't. Same goes in that NC has much better BBQ than CA or elsewhere so why wouldn't I praise NC for its phenominal BBQ? When I am away from NC I don't think it would be wrong of me to say "I miss the pulled pork in NC". Honestly I have not really met too many people that go on and on about where they came froom. The two that I have met have already moved back to where they came from. Moving someplace new isn't for everyone!

Old 06-24-2007, 02:34 PM

ok, lol, that is good to know. I certainly don't mean any disrespect to anyone but there is a certain segment of the NY population (a minority) that seems to go way overboard in their nostalgia and sentimentality for the area, or trying to recreate it elsewhere. Would they have moved if things were perfect here??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I think they all "get on with things" quite quickly. In fact I must say that they are some of the first on our particular street to get get togethers and such organized. They are all involved and I don't hear much of comparison talk. But honestly isn't the pizza better in NY and if so why wouldn't you miss that. I mean the mexican food is definitely better in CA and I don't feel obligated to say NC has great mexican food when it doesn't. Same goes in that NC has much better BBQ than CA or elsewhere so why wouldn't I praise NC for its phenominal BBQ? When I am away from NC I don't think it would be wrong of me to say "I miss the pulled pork in NC". Honestly I have not really met too many people that go on and on about where they came froom. The two that I have met have already moved back to where they came from. Moving someplace new isn't for everyone!

Old 06-24-2007, 03:59 PM

5,661 posts, read 25,429,188 times
You can click on a specific county to see where the newcomers came from.

Moving from county to county

Old 06-24-2007, 04:32 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,204,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
You can click on a specific county to see where the newcomers came from.

Moving from county to county
ok mm34b, that is my favorite so far.

you are amazing, and I again thank you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary