Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 12:17 PM

43 posts, read 182,633 times

Advertisements

I wanted to see what types of upscale dining environments were out there in the RTP area. We are moving from Philly and have many great dining experiences throughout our city and also have some great restauranteurs like Steve Starr who have several different upscale environments and specialties that allow you multiple choices for your dining p. We are looking for places that are unique - no chains - and upscale for the night out with house specialty drinks and entrees that you can't get anyplace else.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 12:34 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,453 times
Lots of choices on the Chapel Hill and Durham side.

Lantern (in Chapel Hill) just ranked #47 and Magnolia Grill (Durham) #11 in Gourmet Magazine's list of best fine dining in the U.S. I believe Magnolia Grill is the top-ranked southeastern US restaurant.

I know Durham best, so a few fine choices in the Bull City (which has a rep as one of the dining meccas of the southeast). Most of these are going to be in the $25-50 per person for dining.

Four Square
Nana's
Piedmont (made Food & Wine's list of best new US restaurants for 2006)
Rue Cler
Pop's
Anotherthyme
Parizade
Vin Rouge
Starlu

Old 06-24-2007, 12:46 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
If you want steak, one of the top rated steak houses is The Angus Barn, on Hwy. 70 near the airport and Brier Creek.

Its locally owned bye the Eure family and a Raleigh landmark.

They also serve some of the best seafood around. The service is the best you will find and if you are the least bit unhappy, they will do anything to make you happy...except for cleaning your house...I already asked.

Vicki

Old 06-24-2007, 01:10 PM

141 posts, read 675,078 times
I've been to most of the upscale restaurants in RTP, and I believe the best one is Fearrington House in Pittsboro. I am a big fan of French cuisine, so your mileage may vary. It's a Relais & Chateaux property, and the food, ambiance, and service are all top notch.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:05 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,959,853 times
Two additions from chapel hill

Il Palio
Elaine's

For fine dining, Fearrington House and Il Palio are probably the top choices (not my kind of dining experience though).
For awesome food, Mag Grill and Four Square are my favorites.

Angus Barn is funny, some people rave about it, other (like me) think it is overpriced for a decent steak. If you like dropping big notes on wine though, they are supposed to have one of the best wine selections in the area (along with Fearrington House)

Old 06-24-2007, 02:24 PM

141 posts, read 675,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Angus Barn is funny, some people rave about it, other (like me) think it is overpriced for a decent steak. If you like dropping big notes on wine though, they are supposed to have one of the best wine selections in the area (along with Fearrington House)
The Angus Barn certainly has the best wine list in the area. As a matter of fact, it rivals almost any wine list you will find anywhere in the US.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:32 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,663,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
The Angus Barn certainly has the best wine list in the area. As a matter of fact, it rivals almost any wine list you will find anywhere in the US.
How true...and the staff educated, but not condescending.

I can tell the waiter I would like a glass of red, moderate priced, soft tannins and a fruity finish (or what ever I am in the mood for)...and they bring me two or three to taste depending what they have open.

I get to try some great wines and don't feel like I am gambling or looked down upon.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:04 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
I've never had a bad steak at The Angus Barn. Once I was with a large group and we had asked if they could keep each group straight, when it came time for the bill. Well our waitress had problems and one of the guys got a bit antsy and complained. The manager came over and said the entire dinner was "on the house". I mean, there were 16 of us!

Its more than "just steak". Its The Angus Barn! Its been written up in a lot of magazines and its rated as a 5 star restaurant so you HAVE to eat there eventually just so you can say you have! Its a Raleigh landmark!!!

Vicki

Old 06-24-2007, 06:18 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,282 times
For upscale dining, we have liked Magnolia Grill, Fearrington, Elaines and Second Empire. Out of the four, I think Magnolia Grill was the best. We personally did not like Four Square when we went there. Thought food was just ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary