Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Unless you care about the welfare of animals. NC Farm Bureau was a big part in shooting down the NC puppy mill bill. Just a warning for anyone who cares about the innocent animals being abused by breeders.
Included in that bill was a measure that was anti-hunting. I'm sure that is why Farm Bureau stepped up to the plate. Bills are never one-sided, bills are always lumped in with other bills. If one fails, they all fail. That's how politics works.

I'm not a hunter, and I also volunteer at the Wake County SPCA, and I'm comfortable with my NCFB Insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:09 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
I'm not a hunter, and I also volunteer at the Wake County SPCA, and I'm comfortable with my NCFB Insurance.
Good for you. I just wanted to make others aware of it encase it would be an issue for them.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,591 times
thanks for the input, i'm going to shop around with Amica, AAA, NC Farm Bureau, and I've heard good things about Erie too

Old 08-03-2010, 01:52 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,383 times
If you're eligible for USAA, I highly recommend that. Nobody has been able to beat the rates we have with them. We have car, home and life through them.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:02 PM

18,088 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I just dumped State Farm and went with Erie Insurance.

My homeowner's insr went from $857 down to $440/ year!! $500 deductible!

Old 08-03-2010, 02:02 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
We switched to Erie last year after too many "good customer" price increases from Nationwide .

I think shopping insurance on a regular basis is prudent.

Frank

Old 08-03-2010, 04:44 PM

21 posts, read 79,182 times
I switched from AllState to Amica recently, and my rates went down by about 1/2.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:40 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
I just dumped State Farm for the same reason - homeowners rates were going way up for no apparent reason. Try Amica... they were recently rated in the top 3 insurance companies by Consumers Report magazine. My State Farm premium was $698... and idential coverage from Amica is $420.
Amica is excellent. Been with them for several decades. Never, ever a problem. Several relatives are with them as well. I'd never go elsewhere.
Amica is a mutual insurance company ("owned" by the members). It makes a difference. In some states, they give a dividend rebate each year. NC laws are different, so instead of the dividend, they adjust the rate.

I understand a portion of all homeowner premiums in NC go toward offset of premium for people in the high-risk shoreline areas. I read that the law was passed in order to keep some insurance companies from leaving the state altogether.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 PM

8 posts, read 25,392 times
Yep, State Farm nailed me for an almost 30% increase on my house and on my rental. That's pretty bold, I guess they are not worried about losing customers for some reason. I called and asked my agent if she knew there were other companies out there, and I just got a seemingly oft-repeated spiel about increasing my deductible to lessen the increase.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:07 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle Park View Post
Yep, State Farm nailed me for an almost 30% increase on my house and on my rental. That's pretty bold, I guess they are not worried about losing customers for some reason. I called and asked my agent if she knew there were other companies out there, and I just got a seemingly oft-repeated spiel about increasing my deductible to lessen the increase.
State Farm I understand has an excellent reputation for service and do have a loyal following. That may be why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary