Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:17 AM

578 posts, read 3,080,753 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure about Raleigh but quite a bit of commercially built developments in NY use a fair amount of pre-built components, specifically roof structures. So it's not a stretch to take that a couple steps further and assemble more of the structure prior to site installation.

I have a friend in NY that's going with a modular. Said it will save him $60K+ over the same house stick built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 06:38 PM

51 posts, read 223,469 times
I was wandering...does anyone know of any neighborhoods that allow modulars. We have looked into the modulars, and by far they are not cheaper then new construction. I have so say though you can get just about exactly what you want. It is just really hard to find a neighborhood that you wouldn't be surronded by trailers. Frustrating

Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,310 times
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavinfl07 View Post
I was wandering...does anyone know of any neighborhoods that allow modulars. We have looked into the modulars, and by far they are not cheaper then new construction. I have so say though you can get just about exactly what you want. It is just really hard to find a neighborhood that you wouldn't be surronded by trailers. Frustrating
Yep. I like the idea of modular, and there are some incredible ones out there (I looked a 6000 sq foot all brick modular at one point). But you either have to buy a lot of land to insulate yourself or risk the low-end being at your front door b/c you'll have to build somewhere that has no restrictions.

In the end, that's why I've deciding on a large, planned community.

fwiw,
Mike

Old 06-27-2007, 09:38 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I have clients that are going to buy modular. I have their house for sale and as soon as it sells, they'll bring out the modular. Should take about 90 days.

His parents owe about 25 acres of land. The parents are giving each of the two kids, a couple of acres each. Then the parents are going to keep the rest. All 3 families will be close to each other and all 3 are going with modulars.

I don't think investment wise its the greatest idea since historically, modulars do not appreciate that well in this area. Perception is everything. And people in this area perceive modulars to be valued less than stick built.

However, the parents giving the land are having each family sign legal docs to say that they will not sell, so the investment doesn't seem that important to any of the families.

I've seen photos and if you didn't KNOW they were modulars, you just wouldn't know it!

Vicki

Old 06-28-2007, 06:04 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I don't think investment wise its the greatest idea since historically, modulars do not appreciate that well in this area. Perception is everything. And people in this area perceive modulars to be valued less than stick built.
Vicki
Kinda funny - after reading a few websites yesterday about the quality of modular vs. stickbuilt, I feel just the opposite. It makes sense really - have your house built in a factory with real quality control (as well as more insulation, more wood, etc.) vs. on-site by whatever labor the builder brings in. I've seen enough "quality issues" with stick-built houses to find modulars very interesting and appealing.

It's also interesting that 10% of the homes being built in the northeast are modular - weather and labor costs play a big part in that, but maybe the trend will spread.

Oh and I saw some *perfect* floorplans at one site I visited.. maybe I'll be looking for land in the country after all!

Last edited by adlnc07; 06-28-2007 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: ..

Old 06-28-2007, 11:46 AM

306 posts, read 1,192,203 times
Here is a site I found about manufactured homes, verses modular homes. I have seem some pictures of factory built homes and they are gorgeous. I remember a few years ago watching a program on HGTV, I think, about the factory built home process and it made sense to me. Build in-doors, out of the elements, no weather hold-ups, no warped lumber, squared corners verses not-so-squared corners.

This seems like it has lots of information....

Modular & Manufactured Homes

Good luck on the new home.

Char

Last edited by JustChar; 06-28-2007 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-28-2007, 02:01 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Next question, can you even get a decent piece of property 1/2-1 acre for 15K-25K? You have to also figure for clearing, well and septic. How do they figure out your property taxes then?

Old 10-09-2007, 10:24 PM

201 posts, read 1,003,335 times
I am also considering a factory-built home (i.e. modular home) . Clark Howard is an advocate of their quality but unfortunately they haven't gained the acceptance of mainstream buyers (although wealthy buyers have supposedly made the psychological leap). The problem for me is that I want to be in a subdivision (with other houses or qu quality modulars) and I'm not sure if that's possible but maybe somebody knows?

Old 10-09-2007, 11:08 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Most of the modular companies that sell in the area also are quite knowledgeable about where you can build. You should talk to the sales person there, who will probably have tips on what areas have lots that area available.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:46 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I inspect houses. Modulars have many advantages over stick-built due to the building process being performed indoors away from the weather. Unfortunately there is a preconceived notion that modulars are sub-par and therefore, as Vicki mentioned, they do not appreciate very well.
I agree, that is the only reason I didnt buy one. People are not yet accepting them as a better built house. I think that they are much better built then anything new these days. Too bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary