Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 AM

10 posts, read 88,996 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move back, but are more into the cool, hip, still regentrifying neighborhoods. It's been 7 years and the whole area is almost unrecognizable.

I'm not looking for the hood by any means, but we are ok with something that might take a tough skin to live in. Some place where people are moving in and renovating old homes. Where a small restaurant or bar have gone in maybe....

Any ideas?

Brooke
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,215,038 times
To be honest, I would look to Durham. After watching the RE market in Raleigh over the past five years I don't see much transition going on. It seems like the nice areas are still very nice (and expensive) like Oakwood, Mordecai, Five Points, and Boylan Heights and the not so nice areas are still kind of run down and not really up and coming (I haven't noticed much change over the past five years at least). I imagine streets on the outskirts of the nicer neighborhoods I mentioned above are slowly improving as people invest in those areas, but with all he speculation that has gone on in recent years the prices already reflect the anticipated improvement for the most part.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM

378 posts, read 972,041 times
I agree with NRG - Durham seems to be gentrifying at a faster pace than Raleigh. I have noticed an increase in the southern Oakwood area for young professionals and hipsters moving in and fixing up older homes on the rundown streets but the buy-in prices seem to reflect sellers knowledge of the trend, ie big $.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:39 PM

251 posts, read 513,778 times
We rented a house in Oakwood for 9 months before our home in VA sold and while it's a great area, it's not for everybody. We liked it but were glad to move to the burbs...

Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,627,185 times
Are you looking for a house that will require a lot of renovation? If so, I've seen one or two near the Rosengarten Park renovations (S Saunders, just east of Boylan Heights) that need to be rehabbed but are up for sale. Also, the same developer that did the houses in Rosengarten Park will be developing an area on Dorothea Dr. just west of Saunders in the near future. They have a few run down shotguns that are available to people interested in doing major renovation. They will eventually be tearing down two ugly apartment buildings and redeveloping those lots with cottage type houses.

An area that a friend of mine recently moved to was the Windsor Park and Longview Gardens area. Lots of mid-century houses with nice lots. Some have been renovated and others will require some updating. The neighborhood is mostly blue collar, but seems quiet. Lots of young professionals are buying here because it is close to downtown and affordably priced.

My fiance and I are looking at the neighborhoods due east of downtown Raleigh, such as the Cooke Street area. There have been quite a few renovations in the area and young professionals who want to live close to downtown have been moving in. This area is definitely more gritty and street by street, but we feel it has great potential since it is so close to downtown. We currently rent downtown and after living in the suburbs of NW Raleigh for a year, we know we want to be as close to downtown as possible.

BTW, these are all areas of Raleigh.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,329,985 times
Durham was a Best Old House Neighborhood in 2009

East Durham, North Carolina | Best Old House Neighborhoods 2009: The South | Photos | Home & Real Estate | This Old House

Also check out Preservation North Carolina Durham
www.PreservationNC.org/Durham

Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 PM

804 posts, read 1,999,439 times
if i had to guess, i'd guess that durham has more neighborhoods that are up & coming. but i'm not as familiar as which ones they are.

that being said, i know a number of people who've been moving into the east hargett street area (near the east street & haywood cross streets areas). their houses are beautiful & renovated but many in the neighborhood are in need of some revamping. the neighborhood is still very much up & coming meaning there are some criminal activities happening that one will definitely want to consider as a factor in decision-making on moving into that neighborhood. for the record, many of our friends love it & did consider that as a factor in their decision in moving there.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:08 PM

171 posts, read 429,036 times
A very strong second on E. Hargett St., but you're almost too late. You won't recognize the street from five years ago. Heck, even 700/800 Martin is way better than it used to be seven years ago.

As someone who lives in the downtown/east Raleigh area (King Charles), I've seen my first fixed gear bicycles in the last six months. Our shopping center on Raleigh Blvd is no where near what it used to be either, I'm happy with my little cheap neighborhood. The tax credit brought in lots of new young owners.

I'd keep my eye on the College Park/Idlewild neighborhood as the city continues to focus its efforts there in multiple ways.

Durham-wise: If your skin is thick, I'd check out Cleveland-Holloway in Durham, I hear great things. If your skin is even thicker, I'd go for a Project Red house in East Durham from Preservation NC or for a house around the Golden Belt complex.

Happy hunting!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,047,351 times
If I were going through this again (I did in the mid 90s when I bought a pre-renovation condo at the Cotton Mill), I'd find areas that I liked and look on its edges. Good luck.

While I am thinking about it, this market might be a good one to find a house in a neighborhood that already "up and came".

Old 08-19-2010, 10:35 AM

10 posts, read 88,996 times
Thanks everybody! That's great advice. We'll check it all out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary