U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2010, 05:36 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 2,696,532 times
Reputation: 899

Advertisements

should they be allowed to do this? Almost $600k of taxpayers money in overtime to the contractors to finish phase 2 of Terminal 2 a few weeks early to "accomodate the NHL Allstars game" ie in other words to create a good impression for visitors.

What about all the visitors who chose to fly with South West, Jet Blue and Air Tran who will continue to use Terminal 1? are they going to think that Raleigh Durham is a 'backwoods' because of the terminial? of course not - they will not even notice.

What with the announcement last week that American is discontinuing flights from RDU to Boston and reducing the number of New York flights, the chances are that a lot of the hockey fans will be flying into Terminal 1 anyways. Maybe i have lost the plot but it seems a waste of money to me.

RDU poised for prosperity - Local/State - NewsObserver.com

American Airlines to ceaseRaleigh to Boston route
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2010, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
542 posts, read 1,444,992 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
should they be allowed to do this? Almost $600k of taxpayers money in overtime to the contractors to finish phase 2 of Terminal 2 a few weeks early to "accomodate the NHL Allstars game" ie in other words to create a good impression for visitors.

What about all the visitors who chose to fly with South West, Jet Blue and Air Tran who will continue to use Terminal 1? are they going to think that Raleigh Durham is a 'backwoods' because of the terminial? of course not - they will not even notice.

What with the announcement last week that American is discontinuing flights from RDU to Boston and reducing the number of New York flights, the chances are that a lot of the hockey fans will be flying into Terminal 1 anyways. Maybe i have lost the plot but it seems a waste of money to me.

RDU poised for prosperity - Local/State - NewsObserver.com

American Airlines to ceaseRaleigh to Boston route
The majority of the operating revenues of the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority come from fees generated at the airport. The money needed for the expansion of the terminal seemed to come mostly from municipal bonds. I don't see anything wrong with Raleigh trying to put their best foot forward for the NHL All Star Weekend. It is an investment in our future.
http://www.rdu.com/news/2010/art/RDUAnnualReport08-09.pdf (broken link)

Mike
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
3,645 posts, read 8,000,454 times
Reputation: 4505
Takes money to make money. The revenue generated from the Allstar game will be well worth the 600K extra to have it completed in time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 06:16 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 2,696,532 times
Reputation: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Takes money to make money. The revenue generated from the Allstar game will be well worth the 600K extra to have it completed in time.
only if additional flights are laid on by the airlines which is most unlikely in the current economy; if existing schedule applies then not a dime of revenue will be generated over and above what would have been received.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
39,055 posts, read 67,643,023 times
Reputation: 39951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
only if additional flights are laid on by the airlines which is most unlikely in the current economy; if existing schedule applies then not a dime of revenue will be generated over and above what would have been received.
Higher load factors, although many planes are jammed.
Airport fees for additional chartered flights
In airport purchases generating income
Rental car surcharge income
Higher financial demographic passing through.

I think there will be a bunch of dimes more in revenue.
Enough to justify the OT? Don't know, but a finished concourse will show well to the visitors and media.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
3,645 posts, read 8,000,454 times
Reputation: 4505
I believe RDU had to have the concourse completed before the Allstar game or else the game would not come here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Wake Forest
2,835 posts, read 6,921,582 times
Reputation: 2050
I would much rather go a party where they had clean plates and glasses and if it rained provided a tent to keep me dry. The host bares the burden of the cost.

In this case the party begins at the airport and the host is the Wake County (People)..us, you and me. Let's show our guest the best possible time so they feel welcome and ready to spend their money and come back again and again......

Now where is the Ice? Its Hot here!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 12:57 AM
DPK
 
4,237 posts, read 4,814,394 times
Reputation: 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
should they be allowed to do this? Almost $600k of taxpayers money in overtime to the contractors to finish phase 2 of Terminal 2 a few weeks early to "accomodate the NHL Allstars game" ie in other words to create a good impression for visitors.
Alright. That $600k (really $590k) number you cited is being payed by the RDU Airport Authority and not completely out of taxpayer pockets. It's not all "our money". Most thereof is from fees generated at the airport as Mike mentioned above. They aren't exactly hurting.

Please stop trying to sensationalize and make this look like big government is screwing over poor Ma/Pa average Joe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 06:45 AM
 
9,197 posts, read 23,491,045 times
Reputation: 8556
I found one reference to Terminal 2 being a $570 million project - so the cost to accelerate completion represesents something like one-tenth of one percent of the total cost.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 06:56 AM
 
31,148 posts, read 38,020,968 times
Reputation: 13440
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I found one reference to Terminal 2 being a $570 million project - so the cost to accelerate completion represesents something like one-tenth of one percent of the total cost.
Great job debunking. We need something to offset the negative publicity being generated by school system issues. Not blaming either side in the dispute but it is negative and the All Star game and RDU are positive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top