U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 AM
NG2 NG2 started this thread

62 posts, read 140,704 times

Advertisements

It looks like they have started the project in earnest. I drove to both sides of the river yesterday and they have to begun to clear the trees on the south side of Falls of Neuse as well as creating the new "old falls of neuse" road which will eventually link into "New Falls of Neuse".

Does anyone know what they are going to do with the Firehouse? It appears that is going to abut the road by less than 30'.

Happy days for those of us who live south of the river and deal with all the traffic headed north every day. I can't wait for the road to get completed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 AM

9,761 posts, read 28,750,398 times
I live south of the river and almost never drive north on Falls of Neuse past Durant Road during the work week. While this prjoect is needed, I can't imagine the issues it will create for traffic going both North and South on Falls during rush hour. I get to my house via Falls River Avenue so I don't have to deal with it, but people north of the River (Like in Wakefield) can't really avoid it so I imagine they will have to live with the challenges that come with such long term road construction.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
NG2 NG2 started this thread

62 posts, read 140,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I get to my house via Falls River Avenue so I don't have to deal with it...
Sssssh. Don't let everyone know that secret. Do you live near Bedford? I live right next to Bedford and find that is often the best way to avoid Falls of Neuse.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 AM

2,835 posts, read 6,956,513 times
I don't know this as fact as its been awhile since I read about the project but if my memory serves me right and this is from the left side of my brain, they are going to build a new fire station as part of the road project. But again plans may have changed since I read this. I also remember the date of 2012 for project completion.

I only have to watch the 98 Bypass and Falls of Neuse work being done to see how much that has changed since they started!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:07 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,061,696 times
Quote:
I don't know this as fact as its been awhile since I read about the project but if my memory serves me right and this is from the left side of my brain, they are going to build a new fire station as part of the road project.
I assure you the county would not build them a new fire station. I believe the fire dept. which is a volunteer station is doing everything they can to keep from being closed down or at least stop from losing county funding. That fire station (Falls) is totally encompassed by the city limits. I've read the report from the Wake county fire commission meeting and it stated that Falls FD only has a few square miles of territory and almost all of the calls they run are with either Raleigh or neighboring volunteer departments. I remember reading a thread on C/D a few months ago about Falls FD and how the Bedford residents have signed a petition to keep their "neighborhood fire station" open. Well, I wonder how the Bedford residents feel about the department now that a house caught fire on Bedfordtown dr. a few weeks ago and Falls FD arrived at the fire AFTER a Raleigh fire engine, which came from Wakefield, arrived on scene.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:42 PM

569 posts, read 1,887,971 times
The Falls Fire Department is supposedly in the process of merging with the Wake Forest Fire Department. The current Falls station will be closed. Wake Forest wants to build a new station somewhere close to the Falls area, but there apparently are no concrete plans and no money.

http://www.wakeforestgazette.com/bm/...-forests.shtml

Falls Fire Dept. To Close In Two Years - Wake County - MyNC.com

Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,061,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
The Falls Fire Department is supposedly in the process of merging with the Wake Forest Fire Department. The current Falls station will be closed. Wake Forest wants to build a new station somewhere close to the Falls area, but there apparently are no concrete plans and no money.

Falls FD to merge with Wake Forest's (Wake Forest Gazette)

Falls Fire Dept. To Close In Two Years - Wake County - MyNC.com
Both of those links are over a year old. A lot has changed since the publication of those articles. Wake Forest FD stated at a recent Wake county fire commission meeting that they no longer wanted any affiliation with Falls FD and the merger was off. Besides, why would Wake Forest build a new fire station so close to an existing Raleigh fire station? Don't think the taxpayers would appreciate that too much.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:26 PM

569 posts, read 1,887,971 times
Thanks for the update. Wondered why I couldn't find anything more recent about it.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:08 PM

8 posts, read 9,069 times
UnderPSI...... I just stumbled upon this thread. I am familiar with the fire on Bedfordtown you speak of and maybe can shine some light upon your comment about Falls FD not being first responder to that fire. I did some research and found out that it was because they were already on another house fire response when that call came in. There was some storms in the area and there were a lot of calls going out. Luckily, one of their trucks and the Wakefield Raleigh truck could get free to respond.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 PM

8 posts, read 9,069 times
Also, underpsi to correct you again....... The merger with Falls FD and Wake Forest FD is on the table according to recent news releases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary