Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:09 AM

19 posts, read 49,669 times

Advertisements

Hey, I know you are looking at a bigger lot than the one I sent you in a private message. Check out the Toll Brothers subdivison in West Cary - Green Level Crossing has 2 neighborhoods (Woodlands - homes start at mid 500s, good lot size) and (Manors - houses start in the 400s). Good luck with your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 PM

29 posts, read 81,172 times
hey there - we just moved here a month ago from Memphis, TN and are renting right now until we find the right house. Just wanted to say that when we were still in Memphis and trying to do the house hunting from a computer and a couple of trips over, we thought we were on the money with our top neighborhoods. Since moving here we have changed our minds and found a home that we love in a neighborhood that we had not previously considered - it does really help to be here. We have twins also but they are nine (mine were 3 when we moved from WI to TN and we stayed in an apartment for about 2 months) We have 2 big dogs and a cat - it's not so bad really - just an adjustment I guess. We are at Courtney Reserve in Cary because they have a good pet policy and it's a relatively nice complex with good schools IMO. Oh and another thing - sitting in our house in TN waiting for it to sell for nearly a year was about killing us with keeping it pristine etc and my husband having to travel over here so much - as soon as we moved out we sold it!!!!!! I am so much more relaxed now! Good luck with everything and I hope things work out well for your family. It's a great place to be!

Old 08-31-2010, 01:14 PM

120 posts, read 236,352 times
OMG... I think you may have read my mind. Thank you so much for your advice and I think you may be absolutely right. We actually did find an house last week and made an offer but unfortionately lost it as the realtor said we took to long to get the paperwork back(it was less than 12 hours). Anyway, I think we are going to go the renting route as well. We are going to keep looking for 1 more month and then we will move forward with renting. Thanks again!!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:09 PM

143 posts, read 363,652 times
Hi,
I moved here 4 years ago with a 3 mo old and a 2 year old, 2 dogs, cat, bird and fish (long story and very difficult to do!!). We knew the area well but still, living here makes a difference in helping figure out where you will be comfortable long term. So long story short, we rented for a year and bought at the end of the rental term. SO GLAD we did-- all of our thoughts about where to live changed once we got here and started making out life here. I work in Durham, hubby in chapel hill, and we chose close to wake forest - I zip over on 98, great 30 min commute; he hops down falls of neuse onto 540 and is at work in no time. We have great schools, can walk our kids to school, awesome neighborhood, and our value has held even in this market. I am convinced it worked out well because we took the year to get to know the area better and made informed decisions about neighborhoods. Went out and drove around them at different days/times to get a feel. Looked at maybe, oh, 100 houses. But it was worth it, because now we are in the right place. Renting was not ideal- not easy with animals and kids, but gave us a chance to get it right. Good luck to you!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:54 AM

120 posts, read 236,352 times
Thanks, did you guys rent furnished or unfurnished? A house or an apartment? Did you have to have store some of your house stuff?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:54 PM

29 posts, read 81,172 times
hello again - hope things are working out for you! I haven't been on in a few days but just saw your post about renting and furnishings etc. The thing we ran into when were selecting a place to stay was the rental terms - most places wanted a year or at Courtney Reserve it is 9 months minimum. I didn't want to be here that long but there was the possibility. Don't know how much your husband's company is helping you, but I spoke to our relo co-ordinator and she put us in touch with Bridgestreet corporate leasing - they spoke to the apartments and got us a month to month lease (I know they had to pay a premium to do it but not sure how much since they are covering our rental) We asked for it to be furnished and so all we did was put everything in storage and just bring our basic needs and personal stuff with us - it has worked out great. Btw we close on our house in Preston Village on October 1st - everything started to fall into place once we got here - hope the same happens for you guys~ Good luck and DM me if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary