Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,124 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to the Triad/RTP area. I have already arrived and will be working in Burlington. My wife will be working in Raleigh. She and our daughter will arrive next week. We are not familiar with this area and are trying to get a "local's" perspective. Both are small towns, with interesting qualities, and what appear to be average (but not outstanding) schools. Which town has a better "resale" value should we be relocated AGAIN? Do either of them have good private schools? Do they have high (or low) crime rates (per capita comparison please)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 08:12 AM

420 posts, read 1,534,946 times
I live Orange County, in the country, but have also lived in Hillsborough.

First of all, I can't answer most of your questions because they don't apply to my life.

Both Hillsborough and Mebane are being seriously transformed by the rapid creation of subdivisions outside of city limits. Fortunately, Hillsborough did have some restrictions on development in the historical district, so it retains a larger feel of an older town. Mebane was a mill/textile town and is turning into a RTP bedroom community. There are revitatlizations/new businesses in downtown Mebane, but Hillsborough has a more active downtown. H-boro is also the county seat and will soon have a branch of an area co-op/natural foods store. Hillsborough also the Triangle Sportsplex, a very nice and affordable recreation center that includes a wonderful pool and ice rink. Both places are easy commutes on interstates to Chapel Hill/Durham/RTP. Mebane is closer to Burlington

Depending on where you live in Mebane, you may be Orange County (Orange County school system) or Alamance County (Alamance County Schools). The Burlington side of Mebane is Alamance County. Property taxes are rather lower in Alamance.

I think Hillsborough is a nicer location overall, but Mebane is somewhat cheaper for RE. Maybe a shorthand is to say that Mebane is more nearly part of the triad, while Hillsborough is more a part of the Triangle (due to proximity to Chapel Hill and Carrboro).

Old 06-25-2007, 01:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
I agree with the above poster. I am myself interested in moving to this area and have been looking at Hillsborough, Efland, and Mebane. The taxes on the Alamance side are lower, but the schools on the Orange side are better. I think that Hillsborough would have better resale value than Mebane, but in Mebane I can get a bigger house and lot for my money. The trouble with Mebane seems to me to be that neither the Triangle nor the Triad really claims it because it spans the county line.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:01 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
A property in Hillsborough is likely to appreciate a bit more than one in Mebane but will also cost more upfront...

I personally think Hillsborough has more character and I would say the schools are certainly better than "average"

In terms of location, Hillsborough will be a "bit" more centrally located between Burlington and Raleigh, at least there is easy access to 85 and 40 in Hillsborough.

Crime is a non issue in either community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary