Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:27 AM

7 posts, read 15,023 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be retiring shortly and my monthly pension is estimated to be about 4k a month. I'm looking for a change of pace from NYC and I think Raleigh will be the place. Can I live on a fixed income or if not how is the job market down there for the middle aged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 07:35 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
I guess that all depends on your standard of living.

If you have a 1-bedroom apartment and sit at home all day watching TV, eating nothing but hamburger helper, then you will have lots of money left over.

If you have a 6-bedroom luxury house with a maid and gardener and spend all day driving around your Ferrari, attending gala luncheons, then you may have a problem.

No way we can tell. . . . .

Old 08-09-2010, 07:35 AM

306 posts, read 882,913 times
Is that 4K after taxes? I guess it all depends on where you live/if you have a mortgage etc. Only you know you're expenses. Things in general here are NOT cheaper. The biggest difference will be in the price of your house but if you actually live in NYC, your property taxes will be about the same, maybe a little higher down here. Job market is not good either (some say the tech field and medi field are still strong) so if you need to work to stay afloat most will tell you to not move unless you have a job first. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:37 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
One person? On 4k a month? I would consider that luxurious. My family (2 adults, 4 children) live on that and are able to cover all our expenses (no debt other than a student loan) plus put something away every month for retirement. We wish we had a bit more for entertainment purposes. Our entertainment is strictly free or very inexpensive things. We almost never eat out. (Cooking for me is a hobby, though and I much prefer to eat my own cooking than go out anywhere except a very high end restaurant.) I am extremely frugal and comparison shop like crazy to stay on budget. BUT if we didn't have a large family (and a large dog!) I would live in a much cheaper/smaller house. My grocery bill would easily be 1/3 of what it is (we spend close to $1000/month on food!). We wouldn't have the education costs and clothing costs of four kids who need new clothes and shoes 3x a year. My health insurance would be much cheaper, etc., etc. So for me, that would feel like a ton of money for one person. But like others said, it all depends on your spending habits and expectations.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:39 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
$4K per month...$48,000 per year? I'd say you may make more than the average teacher and as long as you live within your means, you should have no problem.

Check out one of the "cost of living" calculators that are online. That should help you some.

Vicki

Old 08-09-2010, 08:44 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
The job market isn't great, but with a 4K/month retirement, you should be fine. We have a family of 4 and live happily bringing home that. If you know your budget, and stick to it, you can easily do it. We do it and have money for vacations, savings, and the kids to be in karate.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadesign View Post
Is that 4K after taxes? I guess it all depends on where you live/if you have a mortgage etc. Only you know you're expenses. Things in general here are NOT cheaper. The biggest difference will be in the price of your house but if you actually live in NYC, your property taxes will be about the same, maybe a little higher down here. Job market is not good either (some say the tech field and medi field are still strong) so if you need to work to stay afloat most will tell you to not move unless you have a job first. Good luck.
wait, property taxes here are the same as in NYC?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 AM

246 posts, read 626,955 times
Seriously, we are questioning if 4G a month is enough to be comfortable? If it isn't, then your standard are too high.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:58 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
For a retiree, that amount shoudl be plenty, but I'm curious as to how you picked Raleigh as a retirement destination, since it is most known for being a "working family-type" suburban kinda place (as a general rule). People tend to move away when they retire. Retirees in this state generally head for the beach, the Sandhills area if they golf, or Asheville/Hendersonville.

Job market is grim here, though you didn't say in what field you might be looking.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:07 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
From yesterday's N&O:

Quote:

The Triangle's growing retiree population is a major economic engine that fuels a wide range of businesses, nonprofits and more.

According to population counts, about 12 percent, or 1.1 million, of the state's 9 million-plus residents are over age 65. The bulk of these retirees are often living on fixed incomes, primarily Social Security, and in some instances on government or corporate pensions, and savings.

But many have money and time to spare. The Triangle, in particular, is a destination for that demographic, with a wide range of communities built or planned to attract them.

Read more: Retirees are as good as gold for N.C. economy - Business - NewsObserver.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary