Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 01:16 PM

37 posts, read 75,239 times

Advertisements

Also, for those who live in either area - do you like it and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 01:31 PM

And what can people tell me about Carrboro? My girlfriend's sister lives in Chapel Hill and thinks Carrboro is the coolest place on earth. Is it?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:43 PM

222 posts, read 545,829 times
Carrboro is a pretty neat little town. It is small, though, so it wouldn't be "metropolitan" as you had said before. It feels a little bigger since it blends in with Chapel Hill. It has lots of great independent shops and restaurants in a walkable area. It's definitely crunchy for NC, though you might think nothing of it having lived in Burlington. It's also home to Cat's Cradle, one of the best places for live music.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:45 PM

I like the idea of living in a place like that, but being close to a rather large city. Would the connection between Carrboro/Chapel Hill and Raleigh/Durham fit the bill?

Old 08-09-2010, 02:03 PM

222 posts, read 545,829 times
Chapel Hill is still very much a town, not a city. They do have a nice, central scene, though, so you have tons of restaurants, bars, and entertainment options all in a centralized area.

Areas of Durham has a much more urban feel, even though it's a still a small city. However, it is not as centralized as Carrboro/Chapel Hill. The whole town is full of pockets of amazing restaurants and bars, but it's not all in one cohesive place. Raleigh is a medium sized city, but has a more suburban feel overall. It does have a decent downtown scene, though.

Chapel Hill is definitely close enough to take advantage of all that those cities have to offer, especially Durham. Not sure what you are looking for in terms of a "large city." It has nationally recognized restaurants, big name music and entertainment, and people from all over the world. It does not compare to a big city in terms of atmosphere, but I think that it has a lot more than most cities its size.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:06 PM

As a former college student who lived in a "college town" (Burlington, VT), I wonder if Chapel Hill has a similar vibe. Mostly young people, lots of partying, etc...?

Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM

Also, can you expand on Raleigh's downtown scene? This interests me...

Old 08-09-2010, 02:43 PM

69 posts, read 163,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGator View Post
From what you posted, Durham or Carrboro do seem like good fits within the Triangle. Great restaurants and local haunts. I love this area.

Have you checked out the Asheville area? There is a lot more you can do outdoors there since you have the mountains. There are nice things around here, but it's nothing compared to what the mountains can offer. It's only an hour further from Winston-Salem than the Triangle is. It's worth checking out.
I lived in Asheville and absolutely LOVED it! But please be aware that there is a tremendous amount of development going on there right now, which is disappointing to those of us who love trees. And unless you are independently wealthy, it's really hard to afford to live there. The housing cost is ridiculous compared to the amount of jobs and the low salaries. Seriously, there are very few jobs and tons of competition from locals and people looking to move into the area.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:44 PM

Yea, Asheville really isn't in our sights - for those exact reasons.

I want to learn more about Raleigh, Durham, Carrboro, Chapel Hill...what've y'all got to say???

Old 08-09-2010, 02:45 PM

69 posts, read 163,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejneilson View Post
Also, for those who live in either area - do you like it and why?
For this particular question, your best bet is to search this forum. There have been tons of recent posts asking this same question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary