Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 AM

48 posts, read 119,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimaCheryl View Post
Where in MA? Eastern or Western?
We relocated here from W. MA about 2 months ago & are getting spoiled by the driving here.

What used to be a 45 - 60 minute work commute has been dropped to 20 - 30 minutes here. And we are amazed how close/easy it is getting to the mall, ball park, etc. Compared to Hartford, Worcester or Boston Durham is a breeze as far as traffic is concerned.

And as others pointed out, depending on where you work will depend on your commute. If your job is in North East Raleigh you will have a longer commute than if your job were right in Apex.
If you are not locked into a particular place already I'd suggest looking at where you work and then letting that help you decide where you want to look for a house/apt.

And welcome to NC!
Worcester county,I traveled from Charlton to Westborough..and thanks for the welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 10:50 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,302 times
what I've noticed about traffic is that generally you are good. But here it appears that EVERYONE leaves for work at the same time. So a leaving 15 minutes earlier saves me a half hour in commuting time.

I used to work on the east coast of MA - did the drive from Manchester NH to Andover every day so I'm used to traffic but here it just "wierd" for lack of a better word. People either drive way too fast, weaving in and out like they are too important, or they drive way too slow. There is no inbetween. And forget about rain, you'd think you were in a snowstorm up north. People driving with their hazards on, stopping...it's frustrating.

In any event, just leave early, people tend to start work here around 8, so avoid the major roads between 7:30 - 8:30 and you're good to go.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:17 AM

132 posts, read 403,696 times
The traffic is different, but I agree to some extent that the people who claim traffic is bad don't know what bad is. I used to live in DE right off of i-95 that would go between baltimore and philly... now that is some messed up traffic. I've been to Boston and Drive through DC every time I go home and that is some real traffic.

I could tell you what the problem with traffic here is, except I'd get a lot of nasty comments. That being said, depending on where you live things are going to be further than you are used to up North. Everyone warned us of this but we didn't listen. We said who cares it isn't that big of a deal. Yeah well, it is. To us anyway. Having a store 3 minutes away is far different from 20 minutes away. You don't even notice it until about a year after you've lived here. Again it depends on where you live though. We are pretty far out now, but when we first moved here to N. Raleigh, it wasn't bad at all.

anyway, I ramble. I live in Youngsville (and not all the way in Youngsville either right off Tarboro Rd.) and it takes me 1 hour to get to the RTP (right off Davis- and no I don't take 40 ANYWHERE) by way of 540 during the week. now I can get out there on a Saturday in 30 minutes. So, you decide what's up with the traffic.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:23 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimaCheryl View Post
Where in MA? Eastern or Western?
We relocated here from W. MA about 2 months ago & are getting spoiled by the driving here.

What used to be a 45 - 60 minute work commute has been dropped to 20 - 30 minutes here. And we are amazed how close/easy it is getting to the mall, ball park, etc. Compared to Hartford, Worcester or Boston Durham is a breeze as far as traffic is concerned.

And as others pointed out, depending on where you work will depend on your commute. If your job is in North East Raleigh you will have a longer commute than if your job were right in Apex.
If you are not locked into a particular place already I'd suggest looking at where you work and then letting that help you decide where you want to look for a house/apt.

And welcome to NC!
I am going to have to respectfully disagree as RTP traffic is far worse than anything Hartford has to offer. In the Insurance City, you get some back up going through the city but it clears right up quickly. Afternoons may be a little worse but at least there is some public transportation to alleviate the stress. I think having more companies with flex time helps with the commute too.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:57 PM

132 posts, read 403,696 times
Oh yeah that reminds me... no traffic Fridays. It appears that there is much less traffic on Fridays either because people use flex time, or work from home or take Fridays off or whatever, but the commute to and from work is always much much shorter on Fridays.

The traffic here isn't worse, it is frustrating because there is traffic here for no reason. If you are from somewhere like DC or Philly you can understand why there is congestion, etc. When you look at the traffic on 540 and realize everyone is in the left lane going 10 mph under the speed limit because they are scared to death to drive it is annoying. It is also frustrating when people don't use turn signals or know how to merge properly (ie not STOPPING on the on ramp and waiting for it to be clear). I notice that if you do use your turn signal and change lanes (like a normal person, not like someone flying through traffic) everyone around gets scared and hits their brakes. I find myself constantly screaming "what are you braking for!!!" And like someone posted already, god forbid it rains... or even gets cloudy. It will take you twice as long to get anywhere.

nasty comments can fly at me bc I won't be back to the forum for another year. ha. But I'm not the only person who thinks this way.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 PM

11 posts, read 21,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedc43 View Post
I have been hearing horror stories about the traffic in the triangle area.I currently live in mass and I travel 41 miles to get to work.It takes me about 1 hour.Is the traffic really bad to get anywhere within a 40 mile radius?I will be more than likely relocating to the Apex area,right off of ten ten rd.What do I have to look forward to?
Right now I commute 33 miles from Apex to Sanford where I work and it's a 40 minute drive for me. My job also has required me at times to commute to Raleigh for training and it was a 30 minute drive for me from Apex. It all depends on what route you'll be taking and what time you'll be leaving. Obviously, 7:30 to 9:00 are going to be the worst times in the morning, and to be safe, if you estimate it will take 30 minutes to get to work between those times, then you'll probably want to allow yourself 1 hour drive time. My work day starts at 7:30, which I'm sure cuts out a lot of my morning traffic, and ends at 5:00 M-F and I have every other Friday off, so not everyone's situation is going to be the same as mine.

HS_DUDE and Sugar Magnolia, your comments are so funny and so on the mark! I often find myself wondering why people who drive too slow don't get pulled over by state troopers, as I feel they potentially cause more accidents than speeders do. On one part of my work commute, every morning it never seems to fail that I'll get behind someone who is driving 5-10 miles below the speed limit and, on this particular stretch of road, it's a double yellow line for a good 5 miles. Thankfully, this is the only frustrating part of my drive. I used to live in Atlanta for 3 and a half years, so it could be a whole lot worse.

Last edited by kev5778; 08-31-2010 at 01:20 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 09:02 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedc43 View Post
I will be more than likely relocating to the Apex area,right off of ten ten rd.What do I have to look forward to?
You'll be looking forward to a bunch of non driving idiots headed southbound on US 1 who know they have to be in the right lane to exit onto ten ten road and then highway 55. So what do said idiots do? They drive about 30 MPH in a 65 zone in the left lane waiting until the last minute to cut over in front of someone to exit.

I know this because I have a 45 mile (40 minutes) commute to Raleigh every day from Sanford to work. I run into these people every day on my way back home. If you have to get on the beltline headed east you'll have an easy drive. If you have to go west you'll be sitting in traffic for a good while.

God forbid if there is a wreck, ladder in the road, dead possum, etc during your commute. You won't be able to move because of all the rubberneckers! Raleigh traffic sucks. That's my 24 cents on the matter.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:37 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I think it really depends on where you live, where you are commuting to and the type of road you will be traveling on. My 14 mile commute to the outskirts of Durham takes me anywhere from 20-45 minutes each way (worse in the evening). Our office is moving 7 miles further away to downtown Durham and I expect my commute to be 10-15 minutes longer (45 minutes+ for 21 miles in the evening). When I commuted to North Raleigh, it took me 30-45+ minutes to drive the 21 miles to my office. If you live and work near a major highway then sure you can just hop on and floor it, but there are definitely some areas of the Triangle that will have a fairly long commute to just about anywhere (except if you are lucky enough to work in the same town).

Old 09-01-2010, 08:04 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, obviously it depends on where you live and work--if work is next door, no communte, but if you live in Carrboro and work in East Raleigh, bless your heart (said in the non-ironic way). Also many choose to live in outlying areas that are cheaper and commute in (just like in other cities) so their commutes are of course longer. Do you have a specific job offer and are looking for where to live?

A 40-mile commute here would be an hour or more if you had to go through RTP or any of the downtowns, but if you lived in Raleigh and worked 40 miles east, it would be nothing. There IS traffic, very bad in certain time windows, and just because "it's not as bad as [whatever city somebody moved here from]" doesn't mean it's not bad at all or should be dismissed. An all-day migraine isn't as bad as a kidney stone, but it doesn't mean it's nothing. Also, the population here is increasing by about 4% a year, which of course increases the traffic each and every year, since major road improvments take a long time to catch up with the growth. I estimate that my own commute (30 mins from North Raleigh to near downtown, off-hours) gets longer by about 1-2 minutes per year on average.
Superb post! Absolutely right! But of course you are a native and have been doing this for some time

I used to commute 32 miles from East Ral to downtown Durham - for years. My route was Raleigh's main roads, I-40, 147N. It took me 40 mins ave., 50mins heavy traffic days, (Tue and Fri)50-1hr if it rained and there was a wreck. I know you will drive a different route but this is to show you that yes, maybe it's not as bad here as other places, but it can still be a long commute. My colleague from NW Cary usually beat me by 10 mins - 15 tops.
I also heard the comments about 55 being a no go. 540 should make a big difference.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM

635 posts, read 3,091,689 times
Ditto on the Sanford -> Raleigh commute. I come from downtown Sanford to East Raleigh(Poole Road), and it is a reliable ~45-50 minute commute. I used to spend that long in traffic going half the distance back in California.

Now, I do notice that the reverse commute direction on the inner Beltline in the AM is pretty heavy while I am traveling on the outer to work. So it does depend. But it generally is still a moving "heavy" versus a parking lot.

Having moved out here from the SF Bay Area, and having lived in Houston, DFW, Orlando, and elsewhere.... traffic in the Raleigh area is not awful. It can still certainly get frustrating, but if one is used to absolute stop and go(mostly stopped) freeway traffic for an hour or more, the generally crowded but still moving flow of traffic here on a bad day is no big deal

Good luck with your move!

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary