Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:33 PM

48 posts, read 119,902 times

Advertisements

My wife was concerned about the copperhead snake situation down there because we have a 5 year old.Are they all over the place or do you have to lurk in the brush to find one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 01:45 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Search this forum for at least a couple of threads on copperheads just recently. Also, the News and Observer did an article on them just a week ago and it is probably still on their stie (though I find the site very un-user-friendly).

Short answer: Copperheads are in every county in NC. This has been, apparently, a particularly bad summer for bites, and Wake has had the most in NC which is the #1 state for copperhead bites. But now that I've scared you, that still means that very few people actually get bitten in a year. They tend to like underbrush, piles of sticks/leaves, etc. Think like a snake and imagine where you would live if you ate rodents and wanted somewhere to be cool from the summer sun. Some huge creature comes up to you and extends a limb in your direction and you don't have any arms or legs, all you can do is bite.

People who've gotten bitten say they were walking in the woods (or even their own bushes) without shoes on, or reached down into a pile of sticks/underbrush where they couldn't see where they were putting their hand, etc. It is a good idea to stomp your feet hard on the ground if you're walking near an area that looks copperhead-friendly, as they are scared of people and will get away if at all possible, so giving them warning that you're coming is good for both parties I've heard that putting mothballs around, say if there is a scrubby area through which they might enter your yard, will keep them (and probably most critters, considering the smell of mothballs) from coming in. We actually did that at one little part beside the house where blacksnakes had been coming into the backyard where our dogs are.

I have lived my whole live in NC and actually enver seen a copperhead "loose" in the wild, but that doesn't mean I'm not wary of them, especially from what I've been hearing this year, and two Facebook friends having posted pics of ones they found in their yards!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
I've seen one in the dozen+ years I've lived here. It was a juvenile, sunning in our yard next to our driveway. We scoped him into a small box, took him to some nearby woods and let him go.

I never otherwise think about them, except perhaps when I need to sit on the toilet in the dark of the night. Everyone knows how they like to lurk there under the lid and .... But even then I just assume the big poisonous spiders will get them before they get me. So nothing really to worry about.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:00 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
We're not exactly swimming in Copperheads down here you know. Yes we have them, and it's just something to be aware of this time in the season. I've had close encounters with them at least several dozen times in my life without a bite and I can assure you I spent a lot of time as a boy in their environment. I bet most folks here have never even seen one. I think Copperheads are probably a little overrated Don't let them keep from coming to NC.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:16 PM

28 posts, read 46,948 times
Hand to god, there must be some kind of misinformation campaign going on above the Mason Dixon. I have never in my life heard so much rumor about the abundance of snakes in this area from Northeners. This *has* to be the fifth or sixth time I've run across this in the past few months - either in casual conversation or online.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Take the above post with a grain a salt. Copperheads are what has caused Wake County & North Carolina to be ranked #1 in snake bites //www.city-data.com/forum/north...ake-bites.html Copperheads can be found in all 100 counties.

Pay attention to the snake diamond Shaped head and striping in order to Spot one.
If you need to do yard work around bushes around your home use a rake and sift around the grounds
surrounding the bush before reaching in.

Black Snakes are the next most common.

Courtesy from CDC
Quote:
Copperheads

Photos courtesy of U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (1 & 2) and Edward J. Wozniak of CDC (3)
Copperheads vary in color from reddish to golden tan. The colored bands on their body are typically hourglass-shaped. Most adults are 18–36 inches long. They are not usually aggressive, but will often freeze when frightened. Workers are more likely to be bitten when they unknowingly step on or near a copperhead. Copperheads are often found in forests, rocky areas, swamps, or near sources of water like rivers.
Quote:
Cottonmouths/Water Moccasins

Photos courtesy of U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (1 & 2) and Edward J. Wozniak (3)
Cottonmouth snakes average 50–55 inches long. The adult snake’s skin is dark tan, brown, or nearly black, with vague black or dark brown crossbands. Juveniles have a bold crossbanded pattern of brown or orange with a yellow tail. Cottonmouths are frequently found in or around water. They do not scare easily and will defend themselves when threatened.
Quote:

Symptoms

Signs or symptoms associated with a snake bite may vary depending on the type of snake, but may include:
  • A pair of puncture marks at the wound
  • Redness and swelling around the bite
  • Severe pain at the site of the bite
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Labored breathing (in extreme cases, breathing may stop altogether)
  • Disturbed vision
  • Increased salivation and sweating
  • Numbness or tingling around your face and/or limbs
Recommendations for Protecting Workers

Employers should protect their workers from venomous snake bites by training them about:
  • Their risk of exposure to poisonous snakes
  • How to identify poisonous snakes
  • How to prevent snake bites
  • What they should do if they are bitten by a snake
Preventing Snake Bites

Workers should take the following steps to prevent a snake bite:
  • Do not try to handle any snake.
  • Stay away from tall grass and piles of leaves when possible.
  • Avoid climbing on rocks or piles of wood where a snake may be hiding.
  • Be aware that snakes tend to be active at night and in warm weather.
  • Wear boots and long pants when working outdoors.
  • Wear leather gloves when handling brush and debris.
First Aid

Workers should take the following steps if they are bitten by a snake:
  • Seek medical attention as soon as possible (dial 911 or call local Emergency Medical Services.)
  • Try to remember the color and shape of the snake, which can help with treatment of the snake bite.
  • Keep still and calm. This can slow down the spread of venom.
  • Inform your supervisor.
  • Apply first aid if you cannot get to the hospital right away.
    • Lay or sit down with the bite below the level of the heart.
    • Wash the bite with soap and water.
    • Cover the bite with a clean, dry dressing.
Do NOT do any of the following:
  • Do not pick up the snake or try to trap it.
  • Do not wait for symptoms to appear if bitten, seek immediate medical attention.
  • Do not apply a tourniquet.
  • Do not slash the wound with a knife.
  • Do not suck out the venom.
  • Do not apply ice or immerse the wound in water.
  • Do not drink alcohol as a painkiller.
  • Do not drink caffeinated beverages.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:47 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,434 times
Well in my 10 mile run through Fuquay on saturday I saw 3 dead copperheads on academy street a live one on a side street sunning itself, when I got home in my yard I had a black rat snake on my front lawn and a real skinny green snake slither across mt backyard in the evening.

Uh in my NJ days I saw 1 copperhead in a lake one day...

Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 AM

261 posts, read 307,351 times
Copperheads are a part of life in NC. This summer has been bad due to high heat which has likely made them have to search farther for food and water. We've, of late, also had a lot of rain which is another likely cause for their being around people so much, they could be getting pushed from their habitats by rapidly rising waters or grounds turned mushy by frequent rains.

Understand what they like: hard wood forest with perennial water sources (creeks, rivers etc..) and the times of year when they are most troublesome (early Spring and Fall before hibernation).

I've lived here 19 years and have either relocated or terminated 13 copperheads. Relocation is always my first choice but unless you are going to move it far far away it will likely come back to its territory. With kids and dogs around sometimes there isn't much choice, especially if it's a larger snake!

Many people kill all snakes they see. Black and King snakes are great to have in your area as they keep the copperheads away!

If you are planning to move here, I wouldn't let copperheads stop you. They really don't want to see or bite you at all, unfortunately at times humans and snakes come together with painful results. Their bite doesn't kill, but is very painful.

They are a part of living here that has to be respected but I wouldn't say worried about.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:44 AM

48 posts, read 119,902 times
Thanks for all the info.We will be explaining to our youngest how to tell the differance between the coperheads and the other snakes that are in the area.Hopefully we can do this in a way that wont freak him out.My wife is a nurse so she understands the implications.
Theres not really much here in Mass to worry about as far as animals or snakes.We live out in the woods and the only issue we ever had out here were porcupines,and those were the dogs problems not ours.(lol)

Old 08-11-2010, 11:39 AM

43 posts, read 123,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post
Their bite doesn't kill, but is very painful.
Would a bite kill a young child? I'd obviously rush the child to the emergency room, but could it still be lethal? I don't know much about these snakes, but I'm definitely going to familiarize myself with them before we move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary