Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:15 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,743 times

Advertisements

I think the answer to this may depend alot on what type of industry you will be working in. If it's anything high-tech, then it's highly unlikely that you're going to encounter "bible thumpers". I even have some very religious neighbors (graduates of Liberty University), and they didn't seem aggressive about their beliefs either.

I think you'll do fine. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 12:18 PM

577 posts, read 1,902,048 times
I have lived here all my life and never had any one talk to me about joining their church at all. Dang maybe nobody liked me enough, now my feelings are hurt. (Not) Its a misconception that you will be hounded if your not Southern baptist or what ever, Its just like any where else, now the small rural towns band together alot around the church and you will see more involvement to fit in so to speak, but not in general NC.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:48 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
We've beeen in NC since March of last year. I'm not religious at all either. No one has ever asked me what church I attend or what religion I am. One of our neighbors is a Baptist minister. Not even he has asked if we go to church.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:20 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrawford1324 View Post
I really appreciate everyone's output. I guess it's just a mix wherever you go. If I'd had the incident that the person just described when they were trying to lease a place, I wouldn't have handled it so smoothly. That kind of self righteousness just kills me and puts such a bad taste in my mouth. I'm glad to hear that there's plenty of diversity!
Yeah, the leasing encounter seems to be a very odd aberration, since everyone I have mentioned it to has been shocked. I was only able to handle it well knowing that: 1) after seeing the place, it was nothing to write home about and I didn't want it anyway, and 2) the owners had turned down several other people for the same reason and the unit had been empty for over a month because of it - their loss, not mine!

I am also very set in my ways about my beliefs even though I don't force them on others, and my own upbringing and life experiences proved a lot of his arguments wrong, but it wasn't worth wasting my breath on. But had it been a place I ended up really liking and needed housing badly enough, I think things might have gone a tad differently, though I'd like to hope not .

That said, someone mentioned that it might depend on what industry you will be working in. For what it's worth, I work in the agricultural industry and you'd think that I'd see religion creep into daily conversation, but I don't. I do know that a few of my coworkers are very involved with their churches, just by them mentioning things they did over the weekend or whatnot, but they have never said a thing to me about my religious beliefs or preferences. They are extremely nice people and seem not to really be worried about me and what I do or don't do on Sunday mornings.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:34 PM

550 posts, read 1,487,623 times
I don't go to church and never have. Most of my coworkers do, but they've never asked me to join them or try to talk to me about Jesus. One thing I will say, though, is that a lot of things are closed here on Sundays, and many of the ones that open only do so for limited hours. Sunday mornings and Sunday evenings are pretty dead around here. A lot of people's social lives seem to revolve around church as well.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:35 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,572 times
I recently moved to North Raleigh. The only issue my family has come across is locating non-devotional preschools. Virtually all of them are religious-affiliated with some amount of devotion-related activities. That includes the YMCA which also had devotion-related activities during their childwatch which is completely different than the Rochester, NY YMCA we were part of previously where religion was never mentioned even once.

I'm not shocked, mind you. But slightly surprised.

We're still searching for an affordable, secular, close-to-our-house, has-spots-open preschool for our 4 year old daughter. Seems to be a fairly tall order.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:53 PM

275 posts, read 1,114,836 times
We have been asked what church we go to, and to go to holiday plays and things like that. I like that people ask and they are just being friendly. I've actually encountered more religiousness at work than anywhere, which is so totally opposite of CA, where a manager would never ask anything like that! In our neighborhood, almost no one goes to church regularly. I had wondered about it too, but its not been a problem or uncomfortable.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:30 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,332,006 times
lol, sorry I just had to laugh at the ymca comment since it stands for young men's christian association.
but, I think (from what I've seen) mind you, people are a little more open here than elsewhere regarding their religious endeavors and views.
I don't view it as negative though. just each his own. and have not had a problem fitting in with people (regardless of what church they do or don't attend) at all. So, I'm sure most would feel the same moving here.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:56 PM

460 posts, read 2,422,105 times
When I lived in NC before people discussed going to church and where they belonged but no one tried to recruit me. Although once Jehova's Witnesses came to my door. Here they come once a month. There is too much of a mix of people now to say anything sterotypical of the area. When you live in a big city that is always the case. Christians are a huge religious group. Someone could try and witness to you anywhere. I was witnessed to at a NY Giants at the Meadowlands in NJ game once in line for a hot dog. Praise the lord and pass the mustard.
Religious folk do not make me uncomfortable. If that is the joy they enjoy bless their heart.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:04 PM

14 posts, read 44,276 times
I moved from No. Virginia 2 years ago so I know where you are coming from. Religion is not an issue at all where I live in Wake Forest. I've noticed that most of my neighbors are home on Sunday morning just like me. I'm sure that if you wanted to be a part of something religious you would be able to find it here more easily but only if you are looking. Nobody has every tried to recruit me for anything and treated me as an outcast for not being a church go'er. I would recommend the area over No Virginia any day. Traffic is not a big issue, life is way more laid back and people are a lot more friendly here. This is not your typical "south", it's such a melting pot that I rarely meet people who are actually from NC, most are from somewhere north of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary