Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 06:44 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times

Advertisements

According to this article:

Top Public Schools: Large U.S. Cities

"Great Schools' study of 18,000 U.S. cities identifies the top places nationwide with the best public school districts by population and median home price"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:30 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,587 times
Funny. They don't seem to know that the "diversity" and "choice" that make the system so desirable are about to come to an end.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
That's what I was thinking too! This will all be a moot point if/when the changes go through. I wonder how that will effect our ratings then?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:51 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,357 times
Given that recent data shows little-to-no improvement in the lower socio-economic demographic in WCPSS, I think its premature to assume that changing the diversity policy will create a system that's worse. It seems to me this population is underserved in the current (i.e. - old) system or else the scores would show differently. Maybe spending less time on a bus and having parents closer to school will actually help some of the kids in this demographic.

I believe WCPSS has been a good school system and will continue to be, regardless of changes to the diversity policy. However, I think the kids will be even better served going forward by going to school closer to home and having some sense of security in what school they'll be attending from one year to the next.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:45 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,207 times
the methodology used is interesting in that cities with an unemployment rate higher than 9.3% were eliminated - not sure of the impact of that factor on the schools but it could well exclude a number of cities that were badly hit during the recession

Top Cities 2010 methodology
The number-crunching details behind our top cities lists.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By GreatSchools Staff Print Email
We analyzed 17,377 cities from 49 states* and the District of Columbia, using a combination of the most recent K-12 public school student enrollment and test score data, along with 2009 median home price and population data. We narrowed the list by eliminating cities with insufficient data for analysis — for example, small towns with populations under 10,000 or fewer than five K-12 public schools. For all but the largest cities in the country, we also eliminated towns with unemployment rates higher than 9.3%.

The remaining cities were divided into three population and six median home price categories and then ranked based on state standardized test scores and the most recent data from the National Assessment of Educational Progress (the only test given to a randomly selected group of students in every state). NAEP data offers a good way to compare cities across states — even though standards differ.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,945 times
When I saw Portland show up in the top 10 I questioned the research's methodology. Portland Public Schools has MAJOR funding issues. They are cutting ALL PE this year in K-12. And it's been a norm for quite some time to have 40 plus kids in a high school class (even when the economy was good). We had some EXCELLENT teachers there and the parents were INCREDIBLY committed to propping up their schools. But when it becomes necessary for parents of a 300 student elementary school to raise $75,000 a year to maintain part time art and music programs, not to mention the school year was only 172 days when we left and is fewer days now, I really question how the district made the top 10. And don't even get me started on the VAST INEQUALITIES of the system. We loved being about to walk to our neighborhood school and thrived in it's sense of community, but there were HUGE disparities based on where a child lived.

Given my shock of them listing Portland, I don't put much stock in the "Raleigh being #1".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary