Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 PM

842 posts, read 2,587,826 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if it would be okay to plant arborvitae trees at this time? Also, do you know how durable and/or resilient it is. In addition, could anyone tell me if there is a much better tree to plant around the perimeter of my yard in lieu of a fence? I need something fast growing, tough and can stand up to the elements; in addition, it must provide privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 PM

423 posts, read 1,094,794 times
I would wait one more month no matter what you choose to plant. I prefer cryptomeria over arborvitae. They are from the cedar family and a little bit fluffy looking.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
I know very little about plants and trees but it seems like I am seeing lots of leland cyress trees, used for privacy. A client of mine told me that the reason is that they grow 2 feet per year.

Vicki

Old 08-11-2010, 08:03 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,380 times
Now is NOT the time to plant trees... frankly you could not pick a worse time with it being so hot. Wait until end of September/early October.

Green Giants (arborvitae) will do well. So will Leyland Cypress these guys will grow faster and taller. But personally agree with other poster that Cryptomeria have the best look. They don't grow quite so tall but way tall enough and much wider and thicker and have a nice soft bushy look. We have a mix of these in our back yard and the Cryptos look amazing

Old 08-12-2010, 05:16 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
We planted 2 "yellow ribbon" Arborvitaes over a year ago and I don't think they've really grown more than a foot in that time. They are attractive trees though. . . .not as big as the green giant, but the new growth is tinted yellow so it gives the look of yellow ribbons through the tree.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:14 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,181 times
I've landscaped my two yards since moving to NC 5 years ago. I've found the time of year not to be an issue BUT you must be willing to give those trees VERY consistent weekly water. I think consistent watering has been part of the health of my trees/plants and not necessarily the time I have planted them. I try to plant only in the fall since I really am not a fan of outside watering during the summer months for recent plantings...and digging those huge holes is so much more enjoyable when it is cooler .

Old 08-12-2010, 06:44 AM

39 posts, read 139,181 times
I planted two green arborvitae's in spring but they died in the extreme heat while we were out of town. They require consistent watering every 2-3 days. Also, once they start becoming brown they don't turn back to green on watering. I would wait till Fall starts to do any more planting.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:04 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,826 times
Guys,

I really thank you for your feedbacks.. You can not imagine how much I appreciate your input. I was looking into the Cryptomeria online to see what it looked like and realize that there are different species of this tree and am now wondering which one is best to get and whether or not it is more resilient that the Arborvitae. In addition, is it a much faster growing plant than the Arborvitae? It would seem to accomplish exactly what I am looking for, which is privacy.

cryptomeria - Google Product Search

I will need a whole lot of this plant, so I will have to see if it is available out at Broadwell's Nursery on Old Stage Road in Angier.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:10 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I know very little about plants and trees but it seems like I am seeing lots of leland cyress trees, used for privacy. A client of mine told me that the reason is that they grow 2 feet per year.

Vicki
NC State's Extension office does not recommend Leland Cypress in this area. They recommend the Gaint Aborvitae instead. The Lelands get bag worms really badly (which can kill the tree) and in wind storms the split and topple over easier.

The Aborvitae are suppose to grow 2 feet in a year. But mine have not. I think it's too shady where I planted them.

JA- check out the NCSU Ag Extention Website for planting info or you can call the AG Extension office in Durham. Good luck.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:13 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
When I moved here my real estate agent called them "hate bushes" - used to screen out those neighbors you don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary