Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times

Advertisements

..the call of typical duty these days?

I'm looking to move to Durham I think (or maybe Chapel Hill or Raleigh). I'd like to be in a very walkable neighborhood near restaurants and markets etc..possibly an historic section. Needless to say, it needs to be safe as I'm a middle aged and would be living alone. Ideally it would be a few miles from Whole Foods Market or within walking distance.

I'm self employed (with an on-line insurance agency in multi-states) and would be paying cash for the house. I have some houses picked out that I found on-line that I have questions about and I'm wondering if there are agents there that would be willing to research them for me; go in and take pictures of all the rooms and email them to me as I won't be able to go and see a bunch of them as I'm in Charleston, SC now. I'd rather really get it narrowed down and find one or a few places something that meets my criterea before I come up to see it and make an offer. I might even be willing to make an offer sight unseen contingent upon my seeing it and liking it (and it passing a building/pest) inspection.

Does anyone know anyone who would be willing to work with me on that basis? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:22 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Remember to send your realtor recommendations by DM only.

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2010, 03:25 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
Typically when a home is listed in MLS the listing agent can post up to 25 pictures with any of the listings. If they are a good listing agent they will have as many photos available for view as well as a vitrual walkthrough. It shouldn't be too difficult for an agent to provide pictures to you upon request.

IMO i wouldn't consider something like that "above and beyond". That should be something you should expect from an agent representing you.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Typically when a home is listed in MLS the listing agent can post up to 25 pictures with any of the listings. If they are a good listing agent they will have as many photos available for view as well as a vitrual walkthrough. It shouldn't be too difficult for an agent to provide pictures to you upon request.

IMO i wouldn't consider something like that "above and beyond". That should be something you should expect from an agent representing you.
No kidding. It shouldn't be. If I was an agent I'd offer to do that for all my out of area clients and I'd throughly question the listing agents about properties before bringing clients to see the properties. Most agents down here and in southern New England where I moved from except for one I know of who is older and probably used to working harder, get exasperated with you if after they show you a few houses you aren't willing to make an offer. You'd think if they were good they'd want a detailed list anyway and then they'd save both you and their own time not showing you houses you aren't going to like....but NO. They don't do any research ahead of time and just show you places you'd not be interested in in a million years.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:25 PM

I just want to thank PDXMom, xylemphloem, sacredgrooves, beachbum98 and Raleighlass for their suggestions. I answered your messages and will let you know how it goes....

Old 08-18-2010, 07:05 AM

342 posts, read 751,558 times
Hi folks,

Wanted to jump in on this thread as we may be in need of the same info in the near future. Just entered the very early stages of selling our home, and we have solid thoughts of moving to the area.

As many transplants are, we're tired of the high cost of living, want a slower pace, and a smaller house. We have friends in Chapel Hill, Kings Mountain, and Huntersville, and will get as much advice from them as they can provide.

Keeping our fingers crossed on our sale.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:12 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
If I could just add a little nugget of information....I see and hear a lot of folks moving from out of state. Just fyi I am an onsite agent NOT a general brokerage agent. One common misconception that people have when they consider a move to NC is that everything is cheaper. To some degree you are correct but I have found that a lot of people think we're giving away homes here in NC.

My suggestion to people thinking about moving to the area from out of state and think they are going to get something for nothing....please try and keep your expectations reasonable. You are NOT going to get a 3000 sq ft home with granite, hardwoods, stainless steel appliances on an acre of land for $150,000. It's just not gonna happen. Yet on a daily basis I see people coming into my office that think this way.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:26 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
My suggestion to people thinking about moving to the area from out of state and think they are going to get something for nothing....please try and keep your expectations reasonable. You are NOT going to get a 3000 sq ft home with granite, hardwoods, stainless steel appliances on an acre of land for $150,000. It's just not gonna happen. Yet on a daily basis I see people coming into my office that think this way.
I doubt these people are coming from the NYC Metro area. It's possible to sell your home there and get that 3,000 square foot house and pay cash for same. And you'll save about $10K a year on property taxes. Just doing that can save your average homeowner about $2500 a month.

We just moved here and for what I'm paying for car insurance, homeowner's, and an umbrella policy that's what it cost me just for homeowner's in NY.

If this poster is from northern NJ they aren't going to have any trouble seeing the economic light once they're here.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:43 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,450 times
If you are still looking for someone I have know a great agent for the Durham area that went above and beyond for us on both selling our old home and purchasing our new home...

If you are still in need, shoot me a direct message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary