Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:42 PM

346 posts, read 613,076 times

Advertisements

I have heard pensions are taxed here in NC...you might want to find out more about that...not sure where you would go to find out,but hopefully someone will chime in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 05:07 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
I have heard pensions are taxed here in NC...you might want to find out more about that...not sure where you would go to find out,but hopefully someone will chime in...
Social Security - No

There is a $4000 exemption for private and Federal pensions.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:35 PM

4 posts, read 4,692 times
My family and I moved here to NC four years ago from New York City. We lived in Harlem until we moved to NC. Maybe I could help with some of your questions.

I am not retired or anywhere NEAR it. I used to work as a public school teacher and an EMT in New York. I understand the super high bills to pay in New York. You should get a break here in NC!

Living expenses are better than NYC's. Although it's not super cheap here to live as many would believe, you would get more bang for your buck down here.

There are plenty of older homes with big porches, especially in the downtown area of Raleigh. I think the newer homes are a bit tight on the inside, unless you could pay close to a million for a home.

Finding work here is like any other place: it's about who you know. The hot markets are in healthcare, pharmaceuticals, technology, and skilled trades. If you're looking to get back on the police force, I know Raleigh PD are short on people, as well as the highway patrol (they've done news reports about these two agencies). I believe Durham PD could use a few people, but working there may remind you too much of NYC! I used to work as an EMT in Durham.

Many people in the triangle area are from the Northeast, especially from NY, NJ, New England, PA, DC, and even more midwest such as in Ohio, Michigan, etc. Many from NY are either from the city or from the Buffalo area. My wife is originally from Buffalo. I think we northerners are overflowing this area a bit, though. When I was in Texas, I was a celebrity because I was from NY. Down here, though, we're simply a dime a dozen.

Hopefully some of this helps! You'll feel at home here, especially when you see New York Style pizza shops!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-24-2010 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: No soliciting allowed

Old 08-22-2010, 10:55 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Wow! One nice thing I can report about the heat index is at least tonight on August 22 , MSN weather says it is a comfortable 73 degrees and feels like 73 degrees in Durham, NC. Whereas here in Charleston, SC as per usual the heat index is HIGHER than the actual temperature. Tonight it isn't TOO bad with the temperature at 84 degrees but it feels like 88. We literally have had 126 degree heat indexes on a regular basis maybe even beginning mid May thru now. On regular basis during the day it is in the high 90's or 100's with these rediculous heat indexes. Here even the Ocean temps get into the high 80's low 90's. There is no getting away from the heat! It is awful!

I certainly could get used to not having to keep the A/C on 24/7 for a change. That would save on summer utilities.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:56 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
It's been ridiculously hot, in the 90's every day, humid and miserable since the beginning of June.

Feels like 73? Maybe for 5 minutes somewhere after a rain at night or something. As it gets closer to fall, it will get cooler, but this summer season has been awful. Air conditioning is a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Wow! One nice thing I can report about the heat index is at least tonight on August 22 , MSN weather says it is a comfortable 73 degrees and feels like 73 degrees in Durham, NC. Whereas here in Charleston, SC as per usual the heat index is HIGHER than the actual temperature. Tonight it isn't TOO bad with the temperature at 84 degrees but it feels like 88. We literally have had 126 degree heat indexes on a regular basis maybe even beginning mid May thru now. On regular basis during the day it is in the high 90's or 100's with these rediculous heat indexes. Here even the Ocean temps get into the high 80's low 90's. There is no getting away from the heat! It is awful!

I certainly could get used to not having to keep the A/C on 24/7 for a change. That would save on summer utilities.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Maybe it feels hot to you but I'm telling you Raleigh-Durham nowhere near has the market cornered when it comes to heat in the summer. You haven't felt REAL HEAT until you've spent a summer in Charleston, SC or maybe New Orleans, LA or south Texas....where you get full force humidity added to the temperature and when it cools off at night it is STILL TOO HOT!

Again tonight the temperature in Durham is a cool 73 degrees and the heat index is also 73.

http://local.msn.com/weather.aspx?q=durham-nc&zip=27701

Charleston is 82 but feels like 90. Again a good 17 degree difference in what it feels like.

Local weather conditions, forecasts and Doppler radar maps - MSN Local Edition Weather

I think you all should be grateful it isn't worse ...and it can be a LOT worse.

I checked San Antonio and as of 9:30 tonight it was 93 degrees but felt like 100

Old 08-24-2010, 09:11 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
This week there was a break in the weather. But it has been miserable for a long time. It's not fun to be outside.

The meteorologist just said right now, "The 90's are coming back..."

Great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Maybe it feels hot to you but I'm telling you Raleigh-Durham nowhere near has the market cornered when it comes to heat in the summer. You haven't felt REAL HEAT until you've spent a summer in Charleston, SC or maybe New Orleans, LA or south Texas....where you get full force humidity added to the temperature and when it cools off at night it is STILL TOO HOT!

Again tonight the temperature in Durham is a cool 73 degrees and the heat index is also 73.

http://local.msn.com/weather.aspx?q=durham-nc&zip=27701

Charleston is 82 but feels like 90. Again a good 17 degree difference in what it feels like.

Local weather conditions, forecasts and Doppler radar maps - MSN Local Edition Weather

I think you all should be grateful it isn't worse ...and it can be a LOT worse.

I checked San Antonio and as of 9:30 tonight it was 93 degrees but felt like 100

Old 08-28-2010, 06:12 PM

4 posts, read 4,005 times
Falls River subdivision in North Raleigh has charming houses, many with front porches, although it is a newer subdivision than your preference of an older home with a front porch. The subdivision is about 15 minutes south of Wake Forest. It has a nice walking trail, also, and is near Falls Lake damn, where walking is very pleasant. If you are seriously considering moving to Raleigh and plan to drive back to NY for visits, Wake Forest or North Raleigh might be better choices, because they are closer to NY as far as long-haul driving goes. Both are charming areas with access to everything you would need to live and live well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary