Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 11:42 AM

6 posts, read 12,196 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a 27 year old male. I've been living in Orlando Florida for 11 years and I'm sick and tired of it. I have family in Raleigh, and was considering moving up there.

I've heard nothing but great things about it. I currently have a job working at home so the move wouldn't be a factor.

1. How is the job market for Flash/Silverlight games and/or applications, and Web Development?
2. What is the night life/ dating scene like up there?
3. How are the dog parks?

I consider myself a pretty active person so I'm looking for a place that has a lot to do. As I said, I'm 27 years old and single, so a night life and active dating scene is must.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 11:50 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,776,089 times
I guarantee there are hundreds of 27-YO singles here.

Can't speak for the job market (which is not-so-great as a whole, but depends on the specfic industry)--that's obviously something you'd want to research thoroughly within your industry before seriously considering a move.

There are lots of threads in this forum about the night life scene; I suggest you search under "bars", "Glenwood South", "downtown", "nightlife" etc. Bottom line--it's not what a major city has but is growing, and there are some very "hot" spots. We also have Durham and Chapel Hill right nearby, of course. Chapel hill is a college town so has bars full of 20somethings (not just college folks) and Durham's downtown and "scene" has improved phenomenally in the past decade.

There are some dog parks here. It's certainly not dog-unfriendly.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:52 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,335,823 times
1. How is the job market for Flash/Silverlight games and/or applications, and Web Development?
>>> lots of computer jobs here in RTP and game companies like Epic Games

2. What is the night life/ dating scene like up there?
>>> not bad, you have 3 colleges and downtown raleigh, durham, chapel hill....lots of young working professionals here...and single too i think LOL.

3. How are the dog parks?
>>> lots of designated dog parks here....lots of parks just in general...very outdoorsy here...i have 3 dogs myself...they love it here

Old 08-18-2010, 12:13 PM

6 posts, read 12,196 times
very helpful information, thank you all

Old 08-18-2010, 01:13 PM

204 posts, read 383,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashmasterful View Post
How does Raleigh sound for a 27 year old single male
Raleigh sounds like RAW-lee, which is pretty similar to what it sounds like to the rest of us.

.....sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:15 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,855,235 times
The Games industry here is not what it was...or so I've been told by my daughter who just graduated with a degree in it. it looks like it takes about a year after the general economy falters for it to trickle down. Which makes sense when you think about it. Layoffs = less disposable income= less games purchased. She knows folks who've been looking for months, even over a yr. One of her classmates just started at a local games co, I won't say where but it's not Serious games, in their first 3 days, they worked over 50 hrs. As you know, this is normal during crunch time getting a game ready for release.

From what I can tell, if you have games experience along with web applications development, you have a slight advantage. Companies want games devel. experience, so for new college grads, it's hard to break into it. Now if you are a genius at this stuff, then you won't have a problem. Or, if you have connections, AND skills, no problem.

I found this site, not sure if it helps....Games - Wake County Economic Development

You know that Austin is big for gamers too. But I think they are feeling the pinch?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp38393 View Post
Raleigh sounds like RAW-lee, which is pretty similar to what it sounds like to the rest of us.
Actually, it's "RAH-lee", not "RAW-lee".

Old 08-18-2010, 05:56 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,071,638 times
Francois beat me to it.

Before I moved here, I said "Raw-leigh." My first bicycle was a Raleigh, so I figured I knew how to pronounce it.

But I married a native Raleighite, and I learned "Raleigh" rhymes with "holly."

Old 08-18-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
But I married a native Raleighite, and I learned "Raleigh" rhymes with "holly."
Rhymes with "Polly", not "Pauly".

Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,088,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Actually, it's "RAH-lee", not "RAW-lee".
I guess I'm odd because both those sound the same to me. As Brentwood says, rhymes with holly..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary