Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 02:50 PM

560 posts, read 2,848,734 times

Advertisements

Anybody have any fruit trees or vegetable gardens on their property?

Looking for suggestions on what grows in this wonderful clay/sand stuff that I wish I could call soil

I would love to plant a couple of apple trees and a couple rows of squash, tomatoes, etc.

What's the deal with cross-pollination and fruit trees, mom left this out of the "Birds and Bees" talk we had a few years back Will a Red Delicious and a Granny Smith "get it on"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 03:50 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
I am researching too. I would love to plant a couple of ornamental lemon trees in some planters I am having put in but have no clue of they will withstand the winters here. I need a NC gardening bible.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:55 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,144,769 times
Use the NC Extension Service North Carolina Cooperative Extension: Home.

Here's a link for vegetables: Home Vegetable Gardening

Here's one on fruit trees:
Producing Fruit Trees for Home Use

This is a nice publication:
successfulgardener.org - information on successfulgardener.org

And be sure to get your soil tested (free) here. Then you'll know what to add to make it less red and less clay!
NCDA&CS Agronomic Division - Soil Testing Home Page

I don't garden much now (completely shaded home), but I grew up with a farm-girl mother who had a HUGE garden and fruit trees. Yes, different types of apple trees will "get it on" but not if you space them appropriately. Some varieties are "self-fruitful" so they don't require a "friend" to produce fruit. I have no expertise in lemons, but I see that has been discussed here before. //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...mon-trees.html

Old 06-26-2007, 05:18 PM

460 posts, read 2,421,504 times
Here is what I grew here. Pears, figs, grapes, tomatoes, cukes, cabbage, onions, mangos, pecans, squash, eggplant and herbs of all types. You should get a ph soil kit and test your soil. I did and adjusted mine to grow my veggies. At the time I added manure to mine to adjust the ph. You also must must must till. Raise your beds because when it rains in the summer may rain for a few days. I used hay for mulching and everything grew wonderful. Don't let the soil frighten you. You can always truck in some top with manure mixed and have it dropped at your garden. NC grows wonderful fruits and veggies.
Go to the farmers market in Raleigh and see for yourself. Ask questions there the people are informative and friendly. They sell plants and trees.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:23 PM

120 posts, read 758,326 times
I love figs! Can't wait to grow some myself. Our front lawn is huge and sunny (southern exposure) and the back is all trees. Guess my garden will have to go out front. There's no homeowners association where we're moving, so hopefully nobody will complain if I have a nice looking garden out there. Thinking about doing a typical german farmer's garden. A square divided into four sections with low boxwood borders and a cross-shaped path through the middle.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:21 PM

445 posts, read 1,858,780 times
I lived in a subdivision that did have covenants against a garden in the front yard. I just mixed the veggies in with the flowers and no one was the wiser. Had three beautiful squash plants right by the front door. I have had good luck with tomatoes, squash, bell pepper. There is a fertilizer called Tomato-Tone, works wonders. You can get it at Atlantic Avenue Nursery.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,126 times
Same here, absolutely no problem growing veggies. corn, tomato, peppers of all kinds go nuts in this area, pumpkins, watermelons (they didn't grow as big as I'd wanted but that could have been me) cantaloupe, herbs, berries.
highly agree with above post to raising the garden. It isn't absolutely required, but it will help. It will also help keep weeds out. If you keep it low, rent a tiller and make sure you've a good mix with the clay and good soil. Other than that, let them go. NC's a great place for gardens. Have not tried the fruit trees yet, but see them everywhere.
And also agree with above that masking the veggies is a good fix for the covenants problem. pots are a wonderful way around the garden taboo.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:46 AM

560 posts, read 2,848,734 times
Thank you everyone for all the info!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary