Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times

Advertisements

For the record, I love the Joneses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Not sure which is worse..."keeping up with the Joneses" or resenting the Joneses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Not sure which is worse..."keeping up with the Joneses" or resenting the Joneses.
You hit the nail on the head!

Vicki

Old 08-23-2010, 12:37 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
We're not criticizing granite. Granite is nice.

We are simply amused that granite seems to have become such a vital "requirement" for so many in our society.

Who would have thought that a kitchen countertop material would be near the top of someone's wish list for a home or that it might be a "make or break" item in the decision to purchase?

Granite countertops are not simply granite countertops. They are symbols of success for many.

But in the great scheme of things, how vital are they to our lives? Truly?

Not very.

(And Formica countertops often last decades. Never heard of anyone replacing them every seven years.)
Yeah, People will choose granite but the cabinetry will be made of particle board with a thin Cherry Wood like laminate covering to make it look like Cherry.

Lots of people don't realize it but "Silestone" made in Spain out of quartz and granite is MORE EXPESIVE than granite. So if they REALLY want to out do their social climbing friends, they should get Silestone instead of granite.

Personally, I think the feel of both Granite and Silestone is too cold--almost like touching an icicle. I prefer Corian or Solid Surface because it is warmer to the touch.... but I really like something that looks well and will last.

Unfortunately they stopped using quality Formica it seems in the 70's.However even in the 60's and 70's the formica counters had seams.

In the 80's the builder grade was laminate and it has a very limited life span.

Some of the new "green" counter materials include heavy industrial vinyl flooring. That is what my sister selected for her LEEDS certified green home in San Antonio. It is very durable she says.

What about stainless steel? I rented a place once that had a stainless unit with 4 legs with a big sink and lots of counter space on either side and a short back splash. It certainly was practical and easy to clean and certainly long lasting.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:06 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Interesting read in the NYT

NYT: Homes fading as means to build wealth - Business - The New York Times - msnbc.com

Paraphrasing - the real estate market has changed, don't assume your home will create wealth for you down the road ...

Seems like most markets run through cycles over time ... The trick being getting in early and out before the end. I think maybe I'm going to start investing in tulips, its been almost 400 years since they peaked.

Frank

Old 08-23-2010, 07:13 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Personally, I think the feel of both Granite and Silestone is too cold--almost like touching an icicle. I prefer Corian or Solid Surface because it is warmer to the touch.... but I really like something that looks well and will last.
The coolness is what I love about granite, and why I wanted it. It's great for rolling out dough.

We have an open floor plan, and the kitchen is the first thing you see when you walk into our house. I like the look of the granite, and it's part of the overall decor of the house.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:42 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
to get the "bells and whistles" they want, we have to get more square footage,
Yup. We couldn't get what we wanted with the features we wanted WHERE we wanted it without buying a giant house.

In our case, neighborhood was the biggest factor. We also wanted enough room to put a pool table, we needed a home office, and we wanted a yard big enough for a pool and running room for the dogs. We also wanted a three car garage (we have 4 cars).

To get that in our neighborhood, we had to go over 4000 square feet.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Granite countertops are not simply granite countertops. They are symbols of success for many.

.)
I wonder how that can be true when you see $100k and $200k houses being built that have granite. Surely that faboo granite isn't going to blind people to the fact that they're in a starter home?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think I can introduce you to several builders who will build you a small home with very high level of trim, finish, and appointments.
This is a good point. You can always take a smaller (and that usually equals cheaper) home and finish it out beautifully and price yourself right out of the neighborhood.
That smaller home has a much higher likelihood to be in a less 'fancypants' neighborhood...where other houses will not have that kind of finish and 'bells and whistles' which, btw, may be attractive to you, but your buyer may not like your taste, style, choices, etc, and they are not going to want to pay for it (as your upgrades are likely to be reflected in your price).

Old 08-23-2010, 09:07 AM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Take away the pool and you could just as easily be describing a jail cell.
Or my apartment.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:22 PM

397 posts, read 805,484 times
Folks,

Go to home depot or lowes. Granite is not that ultraexpensive. Especially in a smaller home that's not a mcmansion where there's less counterspace

As a comparison, laminate might be $750, and the granite is $2000.

If you're buying a $200,000 entry level home, $1300 is a small amout of money. Builders make there money on upgrades. They want to spend as little as possible and do things cheaply on homes under $250,000. They don't give a crap about resale in 5 years. It's get in and get out and turn the property as quickly as possible.

There's no doubt that you'll double ++ your money back when you have granite and nice cabinets in the kitchen. It will make a cheaper 225-250k home stand out from the crowd.

But if you look at the average cost of upgrades, it's not as expensvie as you think. You can buy an average $225,000 - and spend $7500 on your own and turn it into a model home.

That's what I did in my house in Holly Springs when I bought it.

I put 5 inch Santos Mahogany floors in my home. Big crown moulding, changed out all the lights and added some classy ceiling fans. I could go to home depot and buy nicer stuff than the builder offered. It made a huge difference and was probably the only reason I sold my house as it was pretty upscale for a lower priced neighborhood.

Last edited by jperryrocks; 08-23-2010 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary