Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:27 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,256,491 times

Advertisements

The question posed here is Why Are Homes Cheaper in the 27610 area of Raleigh?. Please, limit your posts to this topic. You are welcome to discuss race and segregation issues in the Politics forum.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingLady07 View Post
Moderator cut: personal insults

ReloAdvisor
Do you have any websites I can look at that would give me statistics that back up your claim that the area is about to experience a boom. Is this area all African American? I don't want to be in an all black neighborhood.
Okay, I am late in getting in on this discussion, but I am black and live in 27610. I was born and raised in the 27610 area. I left NC for 5years and moved back and lived in Cary for 1 year before building in 27610 and moving back. As it stands today, I want to move so far out of 27610 that I am willing to take a loss on my 3100 sq. ft. home for under $250K.(more bang for my buck or course, $50K cheaper than in cary) the neighborhood is diverse, majority black though. I have been very disappointed. Me and my husband are two professionals and we regret moving in this area and zip code. I will not raise my kids in this area if they built 10 highways and shopping centers. Our house is going on the market next year and I pray we can sell it. Also, it will take this area, in my opinion, 20-25 years to get to the status of other areas, albeit it will get there eventually. Crime is not bad in our area, its just the AREA and the PEOPLE.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:55 AM

266 posts, read 1,050,216 times
Default Areas do get tagged...

and that causes any characteristic they have to simply snowball.
The housing type and cost in this area has been dictated by its proximity to Research Triangle Park to a great extent. Area closer to RTP (and to Falls Lake) tend to be pricier. Southeast Raleigh was further and land therefore cheaper. That made it a natural area for lower cost housing.
Opposites do not attract in the housing business, as people want to live around other like themselves, whether you are discussing race, economics or any other factor. Therefore an area will usually continue in much the same vein in which it begins.
The lower economic status of the residents of SE Raleigh has done, as it has in neighborhoods everywhere else in the country, some damage. While most of the residents take great care of their property and are wonderful people, there are some who do not and are not.
This has been worsened by the fact that many shady lenders were irresponsible and encouraged them to spend more than they should have with loans that started at low payments and then went up. That has hiked the number of foreclosures considerably since lower income folks have less financial flexibility. It will take a while for this situation to clear up.
Southeast Raleigh IS ratcheting up. Higher end homes are being built there. as well as better shopping, etc. Also, Wake County mixes their student population based on income and school performance so that some students there go the top schools in the county. I will agree, though, that this is going to take some time. If you love a diverse community and are going to live in your house a long time, then the area can be a very good investment. Shop carefully and check the crime reports yourself! I heartily agree that you must feel comfortable in your home and neighborhood no matter what your criteria for a home may be. You will spend a lot of time there and it will be the biggest investment most people will ever make.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:56 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,146,440 times
Default hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd0407 View Post
Okay, I am late in getting in on this discussion, but I am black and live in 27610. I was born and raised in the 27610 area. I left NC for 5years and moved back and lived in Cary for 1 year before building in 27610 and moving back. As it stands today, I want to move so far out of 27610 that I am willing to take a loss on my 3100 sq. ft. home for under $250K.(more bang for my buck or course, $50K cheaper than in cary) the neighborhood is diverse, majority black though. I have been very disappointed. Me and my husband are two professionals and we regret moving in this area and zip code. I will not raise my kids in this area if they built 10 highways and shopping centers. Our house is going on the market next year and I pray we can sell it. Also, it will take this area, in my opinion, 20-25 years to get to the status of other areas, albeit it will get there eventually. Crime is not bad in our area, its just the AREA and the PEOPLE.
If it is not the crime what exactly is the issue there? Not nice people? Run down? I always thought it was crime...something else?

Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 AM

10 posts, read 27,875 times
Angry Don't agree

Sorry to say, I don't agree with many of the posters of the negative comments about this 27610 zip. I just bought a house in this area, yes we are in a diverse neighborhood. Are the houses well kept, yep at least 90% of them. It sounds like many posters on this forum are looking for McMansions in an anglo community where their children will never be exposed to diversity. As an educator, I feel sorry for those children. I would recommend our area to anyone who has an open mind and can be apart of the solution instead of the problem of downgrading an area because it has a diverse population. The area will never improve with all the negative talk on this forum. Also look at the size of 27610 on a map and compare it to any other zips in Wake County. What do you see? Its huge!! In an area so big, of course it is going to have a few bad spots.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:36 PM

8 posts, read 17,770 times
Smile the next boom??

I have lived on a dead end road off of Poole, inside the beltline, for three years. I paid $130k for a 2500 sq ft house on half an acre build in 1960, I am three miles from Fayetteville Street! I lived in Cameron Village for 4 years before that. I am a 5'3" white guy and some streets here do scare me and I would not drive down them at night. What I have learned from the older neighbors is that this was a subdivision in the country when it was started around 1960. Then all the kids moved to the new burbs of North Raleigh and real estate values and the social class went down.

I am hoping this is the next boom and my property will be worth more when I decide to retire and maybe move. I remember in the 70s when Oakwood was the ghetto and you would only want to go there to get drugs or get killed!!

So maybe SE Raleigh will boom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
And the AMAZING thing is that when I, the real estate agent, say that that area of Raleigh has a bad reputation, I get people that say I shouldn't say bad things about any area!

Well, here is the truth, guys. The area around Rock Quarry Road and Poole Road has ALWAYS had a bad rep. due to lower income housing and foreclosures and people just not taking care of what they have.

Now having said that...developers are building out there like crazy. Well, there IS alot of land out there. Developers and builders say this will be the next "boom" area.

I hope so. But for right now, the appreciation isn't there. I ALWAYS give my clients the FACTS and then its THEIR decision, but I do get a bit frustrated with those of you that want everything sugar coated!

Like I can keep my mouth shut???

Vicki

Old 06-09-2008, 09:24 AM

5 posts, read 8,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingLady07 View Post
Moderator cut: personal insults

ReloAdvisor
Do you have any websites I can look at that would give me statistics that back up your claim that the area is about to experience a boom. Is this area all African American? I don't want to be in an all black neighborhood.
LeadingLady,
We do not give information out based on race or ethnicity. The area is diverse and what I have said is based on current activities in the area. I do not have any current stats to send you. However you can look at the City of Raleigh website and look under the Planning Department for information about development in that area. Hope this helps.
ReloAdvisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary