Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 06:36 PM

114 posts, read 618,456 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

What is downtown Durham like? Does it have good activities, cultural events? If so, are there any neighborhoods within walking distance? If so, what kind of price range would one be looking at?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 07:12 PM

141 posts, read 675,303 times
I am in the process of moving to Downtown Durham, inside the loop. With the recent revitalization effort, it is really coming along. I live very close to American Tobacco, so that is a prime source of dining and entertainment (and the Durham Bulls). I can also walk to Brightleaf and the bars in that area pretty easily. As far as cultural events, there is the Carolina Theater, and the Man Bites Dog Theater. Additionally, there is a performing arts center that is in the construction phase. I think many more options will emerge in the coming years, as there are some new restaurants in the works, as well as a boutique hotel/spa that is supposed to occupy the CCB Building.

Depending on the type of housing that you want, I think Trinity Park is the closest traditional neighborhood with houses and yards. There are a few apartment buildings in the immediate downtown area that will be available shortly: Kress (~$250k - >$500,000), The Eleanor (~$250k - >$400,000), and Trinity Lofts (most right around $300k -/+ $30,000). If you are willing to wait a little while, I know that The Wesley at Mangum will be opening in about a year, and the pre-construction prices are somewhere in the $250k range. There are a few more in the works, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Downtown Durham is pretty good at the moment, but what I love about it is the potential it has for becoming a truly vibrant and eclectic place to live and work.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:28 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Great post, Clockwork. In terms of pricing -- Trinity Park ranges from the low $200s in the northern end (closer to I-85) to the $400-$1m range on the southern end (close to Brightleaf). That said, between the greenway trail and sidewalks, on the northern end you're still just a 15 minute walk to Brightleaf and a 25 minute walk or 10 minute bike ride to downtown.

Other neighborhoods near downtown to look at would include Old North Durham and Duke Park.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:23 AM

Thanks to both of you. It sounds like many of them are going to be too expensive for me. What about the neighborhoods on the "northern end"? Are there any there that might have homes/condos in the 150K range? I'm in a profession that pays only moderately, I'm afraid. I'd love to be somewhere where I could ditch the car (at least most of the time). That way, we could be a one-car family. I also prefer the vibe of walkable neighborhoods. I lived in one for a year here in Knoxville, and I loved the fact we could walk to night life/entertainment in the evenings and on weekends.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:32 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
A little harder to walk to things, but still bikeable, would be Northgate Park. The north-south greenway runs through there on the way to downtown. It's just north of I-85. Northgate Mall, a middle-income mall with some chain restaurants like Ruby Tuesday, is near there too.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:24 AM

141 posts, read 675,303 times
I just remembered that Maverick Partners is in the process of bringing more affordable living to Downtown Durham. Mangum506 Condos is just outside the Downtown loop, and the spaces are in the $99-199k range. See Welcome to Mangum506.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:38 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lizards View Post
Thanks to both of you. It sounds like many of them are going to be too expensive for me. What about the neighborhoods on the "northern end"? Are there any there that might have homes/condos in the 150K range? I'm in a profession that pays only moderately, I'm afraid. I'd love to be somewhere where I could ditch the car (at least most of the time). That way, we could be a one-car family. I also prefer the vibe of walkable neighborhoods. I lived in one for a year here in Knoxville, and I loved the fact we could walk to night life/entertainment in the evenings and on weekends.
There's still some houses on the MLS that are within a couple blocks of 9th street and a long walk to brightleaf/downtown that are going in the 150's. I'm guessing the neighborhoods may be a little transitional, but they are within a block of other neighborhoods with houses going for $300-400K on up. So it's likely you can find something in your price range if you are willing to put some work into it, and will likely get a pretty good return on your investment.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:06 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
I just remembered that Maverick Partners is in the process of bringing more affordable living to Downtown Durham. Mangum506 Condos is just outside the Downtown loop, and the spaces are in the $99-199k range. See Welcome to Mangum506.
OH MAN! Thanks for posting this. I asked to be put on the waiting list...all units are reserved already

Old 06-27-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
There's still some houses on the MLS that are within a couple blocks of 9th street and a long walk to brightleaf/downtown that are going in the 150's. I'm guessing the neighborhoods may be a little transitional, but they are within a block of other neighborhoods with houses going for $300-400K on up. So it's likely you can find something in your price range if you are willing to put some work into it, and will likely get a pretty good return on your investment.
Thanks for that tip! I'm interested in that type of situation. Another place we are considering is Decatur (just east of Atlanta), and it has very little that could be called transitional that is within walking distance of anything. We're trying to widen our net. We're also considering Athens, GA. Most of the other places that were on our list have been eliminated for one reason or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary