Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 PM

42 posts, read 99,184 times

Advertisements

Fellow Golfers -

I would like to get some opinions on local course conditions. I know a lot of the course's greens with bent grass have taken a beating. We just got done playing Lochmere and it was almost unputtable. I have also heard that The Challenge is also having a hard time.

The 3 courses I am most interested in are The Crossings, Falls Village, and The Neuse. I have a friend coming in from LA this weekend, and am looking to show him a good course. We are both around 90-95 golfers, so we aren't looking for super challenging, just nice scenery with well maintained grounds.

I have heard that Falls Village dropped off for awhile when they went bankrupt, but have turned things around recently. Comments?

I am open to other courses, but these are 3 that I have played and enjoyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 08:06 PM

242 posts, read 796,033 times
Try Olde Liberty Golf course. West on Rt 96 from Capital Blvd. Go 2 miles. It's on the right. The greens are great. With your averages, I'd suggest playing the Gold tees.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,425 times
The Neuse was in very good condition last week when I was there. Another great course on the east side of Raleigh is River Ridge. Alternatively, on the west side of the Triangle is the Fred Couples course at Chapel Ridge in Pittsboro, or The Preserve at Jordan Lake, both which are excellent courses.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 PM

33 posts, read 59,699 times
The Neuse is a great course, but the greens are kind of beat up right now. I played River Ridge about a month ago and the greens there were even worse. That course used to have the most amazing greens, but I'm not sure what happened. The Preserve is also a great course, but I haven't played it since last year, so I'm not sure how the greens held up.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs2004 View Post
The Neuse is a great course, but the greens are kind of beat up right now. I played River Ridge about a month ago and the greens there were even worse. That course used to have the most amazing greens, but I'm not sure what happened. The Preserve is also a great course, but I haven't played it since last year, so I'm not sure how the greens held up.
Lets put this into perspective, The Neuse costs $29 including the cart and for that price I found the course to be 'very good condition' - I didn't say it was perfect, and yes there are a few blemishes on some of the greens but at that price point and the number of players attracted by good value then that is exactly what you get. The Preserve costs $30 Monday thru Thursday and is in even better condition and is better value but again has some minor issues which I certainly can live with and enjoy my golf.

For a total disaster go the Mill Creek at Mebane where the fertilizer they used recently on the greens actually killed all the grass and they are currently in the process of having to rebuild them from scratch - but the course is still playable if you want all day golf for $20 including the cart, but no grass on the 'greens'

Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 PM

42 posts, read 99,184 times
Thanks so far for the suggestions. BeerMat - any experience with Olde Liberty? Seems like the price is right, since we are looking for an early tee time on Saturday ($35) vs. the Neuse ($62)

Old 08-21-2010, 09:58 AM

20 posts, read 92,649 times
Last time I played Olde Liberty was about a month and a half ago so take this with a grain of salt. The greens were good but the fairways were horrendous. Weeds were far more abundant than grass. It was better to be playing from the rough because at least there was some grass there. Don't know if it's gotten any better.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:15 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,910 times
Chapel Ridge's greens are pristine, although getting aerated Monday. The preserve's are a bit thin and weedy.

Last edited by Rich6896; 08-21-2010 at 04:36 PM..

Old 08-21-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdye View Post
Thanks so far for the suggestions. BeerMat - any experience with Olde Liberty? Seems like the price is right, since we are looking for an early tee time on Saturday ($35) vs. the Neuse ($62)
so how was Olde Liberty? I have never played there but would be interested in the condition of the course

Old 08-21-2010, 08:29 PM

242 posts, read 796,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
so how was Olde Liberty? I have never played there but would be interested in the condition of the course
I play there 3 or 4 times a week (retired). It's a young course and it's still filling in. They fertilized it, not long ago and the fairways are coming in nicely. Granted there are a couple fairways that have a ways to go yet, but it's all starting to come together. You'll have a tough time finding better greens (size and condition) at their price. I'm currently a 7 handicap and that's my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary