U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 PM

6,246 posts, read 15,088,729 times

Advertisements

I'm old enough to remember when people called people such as Rev. Barber "troublemakers" or "uppity."

Those terms were used by white people who didn't like seeing black people stand up for their rights.

Gee. I wonder what made me think of those times from long ago? Hmm.

Quote:
What kind of role model is someone that practically incites riots requiring
a huge tax payer expense for security just to conduct a board meeting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 08:45 PM

8,582 posts, read 14,769,860 times
The group that wants neighborhood schools elected people to
carry out that change..

Barber should work to have people elected to support his viewpoint.
Not intimidate elected officials..

The school board is a representative system .

Old 08-22-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I'm old enough to remember when people called people such as Rev. Barber "troublemakers" or "uppity."

Those terms were used by white people who didn't like seeing black people stand up for their rights.

Gee. I wonder what made me think of those times from long ago? Hmm.

Yes, everything is a race issue isn't it

Old 08-22-2010, 09:02 PM

6,246 posts, read 15,088,729 times
It IS when you're talking about an NAACP leader and a diversity policy being dismantled, and his efforts to prevent a backward step is criticized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Yes, everything is a race issue isn't it

Old 08-22-2010, 09:22 PM

3,169 posts, read 7,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
It IS when you're talking about an NAACP leader and a diversity policy being dismantled, and his efforts to prevent a backward step is criticized.
What does the diversity policy have to do with race? I thought it was about economics. The supreme court already ruled that you could not bus kids based on race. I don't agree with Rev. Barber, just like I don't agree with many white politcal leaders. How does not agreeing with what he stands for make me racist? The word racism is thrown around like a cheap suit these days. There are plenty of people that think he is the one trying to take a backwards step.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:02 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,306,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
What kind of role model is someone that practically incites riots requiring
a huge tax payer expense for security just to conduct a board meeting.
The same person that tells you to stand up for what you believe in. I doubt this would be a HUGE tax payer expense. Really just a formality that happens from time to time with controversal topics come up at board meetings. The board meeting is where this has to happen b/c where else would you get all the board members in the same room. Plus it brings publicity to the topic that one wants so that things aren't happening behind closed doors in secrecy.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
I doubt this would be a HUGE tax payer expense.
$14,000 for the July 20th board meeting.
I wonder how many kids could have been tutored for that???

Old 08-23-2010, 06:01 AM

351 posts, read 732,521 times
I wonder if Meeker is going to receive it too since he is doing so much work with those "people who are not from the area, don't share our values, who are the majority on the school board"

Old 08-23-2010, 08:16 AM

9,197 posts, read 23,418,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
The supreme court already ruled that you could not bus kids based on race.
I don't believe there has ever been any such ruling.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:10 PM

128 posts, read 256,858 times
maybe I am being too cynical but I think Governor Perdue has started her 2nd term election campaign and is trying to get the support of the NAACP supporters. Face it the Tedesco fans won't be voting for her anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary