U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM
 
18 posts, read 35,197 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I don't believe there has ever been any such ruling.

I think he's talking about the parents involved in community schools case. Even though that's not what the case is about, I knew what he meant by it.

Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District No. 1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2010, 04:55 PM
 
202 posts, read 200,430 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I don't believe there has ever been any such ruling.
Supreme Court Rules Against Use of Race in Seattle and Kentucky Schools

"This Supreme Court decision shows that the era of race preferences is quickly coming to an end. The Court is finally starting to catch up with what the American people have known for years: Race has no place in American public life," said Connerly. Jennifer Gratz, plaintiff in the Supreme Court case Gratz v. Bollinger, joined Connerly in his optimistic response to the Court's decision.
"America is quickly moving beyond race preferences, set-asides, and quotas. Within my lifetime I believe we will see a sunset on the idea of race preferences. Our government institutions should judge people on character and merit, not skin color or sex," said Gratz.

Last edited by NC to Austin; 08-23-2010 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting issue
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 06:08 PM
 
9,197 posts, read 23,401,304 times
Reputation: 8556
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilms0309 View Post
I think he's talking about the parents involved in community schools case. Even though that's not what the case is about, I knew what he meant by it. Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District No. 1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Agreed. But note that only a plurality (4) of justices supported that particular conclusion in that case. There's no question the Supreme Court has called into question non-remedial racial desegregation plans, but I would stop short of saying that the Court has ruled that you cannot bus kids based on race.

There are often subtleties in Supreme Court rulings that get lost in media reports of their decisions, which are rarely as black and white (pun not intended) as portrayed. Couple that with a need to interpret majority opinions in conjunction with partially concurring opinions by one or more justices, and determining the "rule" (if ever there was one) becomes extremely challenging.

The Seattle School District case leaves open for future argument the question of whether achieving (or preserving) desegregation can ever be a "compelling state interest" that would survive constitutional challenge.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 06:11 PM
 
202 posts, read 200,430 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Agreed. But note that only a plurality (4) of justices supported that particular conclusion in that case. There's no question the Supreme Court has called into question non-remedial racial desegregation plans, but I would stop short of saying that the Court has ruled that you cannot bus kids based on race.

There are often subtleties in Supreme Court rulings that get lost in media reports of their decisions, which are rarely as black and white (pun not intended) as portrayed. Couple that with a need to interpret majority opinions in conjunction with partially concurring opinions by one or more justices, and determining the "rule" (if ever there was one) becomes extremely challenging.

The Seattle School District case leaves open for future argument the question of whether achieving (or preserving) desegregation can ever be a "compelling state interest" that would survive constitutional challenge.
Divided court rejects school diversity plans - CNN.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A bitterly divided U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday issued what is likely to be a landmark opinion -- ruling that race cannot be a factor in the assignment of children to public schools.

concluding they relied on an unconstitutional use of racial criteria
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 07:15 PM
 
9,197 posts, read 23,401,304 times
Reputation: 8556
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC to Austin View Post
Divided court rejects school diversity plans - CNN.com WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A bitterly divided U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday issued what is likely to be a landmark opinion -- ruling that race cannot be a factor in the assignment of children to public schools. concluding they relied on an unconstitutional use of racial criteria
Yes - but again note the role of the important 5th concurring vote by Justice Kennedy in that case. As the article you linked to points out:
Quote:
But supporters of the school choice plans found some hope in Justice Anthony Kennedy's concurring opinion.While finding the two particular plans were unconstitutional, Kennedy said race could still be used in narrow circumstances to ensure integrated schools."A district may consider it a compelling interest to achieve a diverse student population," he said.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 07:53 PM
 
419 posts, read 1,308,529 times
Reputation: 193
Just what this guy needs........more attention.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top