U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:13 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,179,337 times

Advertisements

Crawlspace question:

What about moisture and bug problems in this open area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 04:17 AM

37,373 posts, read 64,797,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC? View Post
*I* thought crawlsplace was better construction. My dad said slab was better. Now I am glad that I am renting while I reasearch some homes. I do like the look of a crawlspace better. Which has better resale? Slab or crawlspace? Any home inspectors on this board to answer our foundation questions?
Read Mrs. Steel's repost of sacredgrooves' post discussing slabs.
Sacredgrooves is a home inspector.

Slabs are an accepted foundation system and have been around for many decades.
I would rather have a well-done slab foundation than a messed-up or damp crawl space.

One unmentioned benefit, slabs that require just a step up to enter the home, and I would seriously consider a patio home just for the benefit of easy access/egress. Makes it so easy to integrate inside and outside living.

Resale is the same since the foundation is priced in at construction and that value follows through in resales. However I think more people prefer crawlspaces, but we are beginning to accept slabs more.
If slabs didn't sell, builders would adjust.
Slabs are selling all over the Triangle.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 AM

9,680 posts, read 25,230,441 times
What you really need to watch here is soil subsidence that throws the entire slab and home out of plumb. Listen to the ads for foundation repair on the radio. A lot of the soil here is clay and is unsuitable for construction. The builders don't care.

Our apt is 9 years old and built quite soundly. Soil subsidence has hit the floors, windows, and some walls hard. Although only cosmetic now, I'm glad I don't own it.

Good to get soil evaluated along with quality of construction.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:14 AM

275 posts, read 1,059,213 times
Our home in CA was on a slab. I know that people even out there had problems with cracks and settling, but not a problem in our 50 yr old house. The one reason I miss it is because it was so much QUIETER. Being over a crawlspace with wood floors makes a LOUD house...especially with 2 5 yr olds...took alot of getting used to.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 AM

9,680 posts, read 25,230,441 times
After 50 years, most soil has finished settling. New construction has the most exposure to this, of course.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 AM

3,959 posts, read 10,040,814 times
Quote:
Crawlspace question:

Definitely an issue if left uncontrolled. Around here you almost have to throw the conventional wisdom out the door in regards to keeping foundation vents open in the summer. With our high humdity levels, open vents pull that humidity into the crawlspace where it condenses on surfaces with a lower dewpoint such as HVAC ductwork and cold plumbing lines. This leads to a "rainforest" effect which can wreak havok in the crawlspace if left that way over an extended period of time. I highly recommend visiting your crawlspace, if you have one, in the hot summer months to gauge the moisture level. If you see excessive condensation (a little is normal) then the easy route would be to close the vents. If that doesnt cure it, add more vapor barrier and a $150 dehumidifier. There are companies that will retro-fit sealed crawlspace systems for thousands of dollars but what I outline above cures moisture problems just as well. There will be an outlet in most crawlspaces to plug the DH into and just drill a hole with a masonry bit on any exterior wall for the condensate drain line, or you can tap into the existing condensate line used by the HVAC.

Bugs are definitely prevalent in crawlspaces that are not fogged or treated. If you toss a couple foggers in or have a pest inspector treat a few times of year it will be basically be bug-free.
If anyone wants any more detail free to ask away.

ps - Dont overlook grading at the foundation walls. Build the soil up with our good ole red clay to shunt water away from the house. Mulch against the foundation walls will also hold water to the masonry block which is a porous material.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:35 AM

310 posts, read 1,635,938 times
Quote:
Crawlspace question:

My current home in SC is on a 6 acres pond. Moister and storm water was a problem in the crawl space. I added 3 exhaust vent fans with a humidistat. I have had no problems since then. The humidity level is very low, and the foundation is dry.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:40 AM

4,389 posts, read 10,634,770 times
The more I read about crawlspaces, the more I like slabs!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:42 AM

3,131 posts, read 7,791,103 times
I have a question! Under "building data" in the Wake County Tax website it says my home has a crawl space foundation, yet I don't have any vents and I have no way of getting into the crawl space!? I thought I was on a slab foundation, even though there is exterior brickwork around the house that goes up about 1-2 feet. Can you have a crawl space without having an enter/egress door and no vents present? confused

I know for a fact that there is concrete right under the linolium in my kitchen. I covered up that floor with laminate, but there is concrete right underneath, so I can't have a crawl space can I?

Last edited by Waterboy526; 07-16-2007 at 09:51 AM..

Old 07-16-2007, 04:15 PM

3,959 posts, read 10,040,814 times
It is simply misinformation on the tax records. You definitely have a slab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary