Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:20 AM

239 posts, read 1,089,868 times

Advertisements

I was shopping yesterday and saw that Costco offers granite counters (and other types). I was wondering if anyone used them and how it went. I assume that perhaps they subcontract out. So far, we have gotten estimates from Absolute Stone and Polished edge. There was about a 1000 dollar difference in the 2 companies. They both offered the same services-although some slight differences with polished edge.

If anyone used Costco or anyone-I am interested in hearing your experience.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 AM

488 posts, read 1,550,781 times
I haven't used Costco but I'd love to hear what you find out. Who was cheaper between Absolute Stone and Polished Edge? We've had several friends use Absolute Stone.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:38 AM

239 posts, read 1,089,868 times
Absolute stone was cheaper. Did your friends have a good experience with the company?

Old 08-23-2010, 09:46 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,551,654 times
What about the companies that advertise $30/sq.ft.?

Old 08-23-2010, 11:05 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,146,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
What about the companies that advertise $30/sq.ft.?
Those companies charge EXTRA for the edge you choose and they charge EXTRA for the undermount sink and they charge EXTRA for other things, such as getting rid of the old countertops, etc. You'd have to ask the right questions in order to know what the finished total would be.

Vicki

Old 08-23-2010, 11:23 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,330,709 times
for what I needed to get done, Absolute Stone and Polished Edge both had the same prices, around $1500....there's also AB Stone Boutique in Cary

I ended up with Polished Edge since they were more flexible with the free undermount sink (I needed a smaller size)

Old 08-23-2010, 11:23 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,936,170 times
I work for Costco and while I personally have never used this service (I will be in the next year), members I have spoken to have been very happy with this service.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:04 PM

The problem I'd have with using Costco is the same problem with using Home Depot and Lowes...they sub out the work so you don't know who you are getting or their level of experience.

I used The Polished Edge to do my granite in the kitchen and bathrooms and then had them come back 4 years later to do my tile backsplash in my kitchen and the tile floors and shower in my bathrooms. I like the fact that the owner, Jason, is very hands on and makes sure that EVERYTHING is done correctly. I like that he is experienced. He even helped me figure out how to re do my shower, which is something my friend paid a general contractor to do for her.

I know that if I have any problems with any of my granite or tile, years later, I can still call The Polished Edge and Jason will come by to see what the problem is and he'll always make it right. I'm not sure if the subs that Costco and Home Depot use, will give you that level of service.

As with everything, make sure you understand what you are and aren't getting and who will stand behind their work.

Even though I don't do as much cooking as I did when my kids were all at home, I still love looking at my kitchen and granite is a huge part of that.

Vicki

Old 08-23-2010, 09:01 PM

31 posts, read 105,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The problem I'd have with using Costco is the same problem with using Home Depot and Lowes...they sub out the work so you don't know who you are getting or their level of experience.
Vicki
Not sure I would agree with the home depot / lowes comparison - simply because being a very regular customer of all 3, i perceive Costco has much higher levels of due dilligence. Likely related to their much more liberal return policies, and general focus on getting their suppliers to Provide better quality products.

I do not work there - but have been a customer for many years. Last week I returned a auto soap dispenser for which I had no receipt that I purchase 6 months ago that stopped working. No problem at all. Not sure how well that will work with the granite -but you get the point

Old 08-23-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdnight View Post
Not sure I would agree with the home depot / lowes comparison - simply because being a very regular customer of all 3, i perceive Costco has much higher levels of due dilligence. Likely related to their much more liberal return policies, and general focus on getting their suppliers to Provide better quality products.

I do not work there - but have been a customer for many years. Last week I returned a auto soap dispenser for which I had no receipt that I purchase 6 months ago that stopped working. No problem at all. Not sure how well that will work with the granite -but you get the point
Not sure I'd agree that returning a product that you purchased at the store is the same as having an issue with a subcontractor that came from a list that the store had.

I purchased a hot water heater many years ago, from Home Depot. They had a "special" that included installation for a nominal fee so we used a plumber from that list. I had to tell him that I wanted a permit to be pulled. When the inspector came out to check his work, he didn't pass the inspection.

When he didn't return, I had to call Home Depot. They were at a loss as to why he didn't return and what needed to be done. After dealing with a few different folks at Home Depot, we got them to send another plumber to correct the plumbing issue.

We then had to call Home Depot repeatedly to have them credit us the fee (about $60) for the inspector's return. This time, the work did pass.

I live about 5 minutes from Home Depot so I shop there OFTEN. I like Home Depot but I would not use their subs again. I'd rather use my own people so I know who to call if there is a problem.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary