U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 11,669 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the long backup at the small stretch of CFS when going west trying to cross Hwy55? The backups have started pretty much since the new traffic lights were installed. Hardly 4-5 cars can cross the light and this causes traffic to be backed up till Morrisville Carpenter Road and sometimes way back. It is frustrating as just crossing this light in evening hours takes about 20 minutes!!!

Also, after making through this light you again get backed up at the intersection of CFS and Green Level Church Road near Harris Teeter. As there is no left lane and hence no light for left turn, cars wanting to go left get little time to do so and end up blocking everyone else.

My work place is not even 20 minutes drive from home but getting back in the evening is taking me 45 minutes thanks to these two lights. Are there any plans the Town of Cary has to ease this traffic? With more construction of new homes in this area, this is going to get even worse.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,709,760 times
the extension of Morrisville Parkway from Davis Drive to Green Level Church Road will help once it's complete in maybe a year or two's time. Once McCrimmon reopens after the construction of the 540 bridge then more traffic will revert back to that route which hopefully will be in 2 or 3 months.

Rather than turn right at Carpenter Firestation Road you may find it better to continue to the end of Morrisville Carpenter, turn right onto 55 then have the left turn signal to get onto CFSR. Turn left at Cary Glen Blvd and take the left turn on Green Level Church to avoid the traffic light by Harris Teeter. Maybe I have been lucky but haven't had any delays cutting across 55 - maybe one light cycle but that's all

Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 PM

297 posts, read 700,889 times
I had to make that agonizing commute all summer, but luckily those days are over and I'm back to my regular commute north. I would often have to wait 3-4 light cycles to cross 55 going west. I hated getting trapped near the train tracks. You're absolutely on spot about the extra time it takes to make it through that light.

With regards to approaching 55 going east on CFS, we now build in an extra 10-15 minutes to accommodate the back up that's almost always there.

It's not fun - I definitely feel your pain!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 11,669 times
Beermat - I have already tried going straight on Morrisville Carpenter and then turning left on 55. Traffic is backed up there also, and by the time you get on 55 to take the left on CFS, its almost the same. I do make the left on Cary Glen most of times if traffic is already backed up, however I do believe a left turn lane and light at that intersection will benefit everyone.

NoneOfThis - You are lucky to have your commute changed, but I am still having to go the same route. I am surprised no one else is complaining about this. A simple fix to the timing of the traffic light or making them traffic sensitive like the others through Cary would help the commuters a lot.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:29 PM

379 posts, read 912,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulgirl View Post
Also, after making through this light you again get backed up at the intersection of CFS and Green Level Church Road near Harris Teeter. As there is no left lane and hence no light for left turn, cars wanting to go left get little time to do so and end up blocking everyone else.

Green Level Church Road Widening
Published Aug 25, 2010 by Carol Parker

The Town of Cary has awarded the Green Level Church Road Widening Project to Barnhill Contracting Company. They will be widening Green Level Church Road from approximately 500 feet south of Carpenter Fire Station Road to McCrimmon Parkway. Also included in this project will be the widening of Carpenter Fire Station Road from 900 feet west and 700 feet east of the intersection with Green Level Church Road. Construction includes widening to a 4-lane section with a median, curb and gutter, wide outside lanes to accommodate bicyclists, sidewalk and multi-use path, street lights and a pedestrian tunnel at Morris Branch. The multi-use path is located on the east side of Green Level Church Road and will provide access to the new pedestrian tunnel and Amberly Greenway.
Construction is scheduled to begin in late August 2010 and will take approximately 15 months to complete. Periodic lane closures and traffic shifts will be necessary during the construction.
As we look forward to safer and easier travel on these roads, please be cautious and patient when driving through this construction area

Old 08-25-2010, 03:46 PM

5,581 posts, read 16,553,846 times
I've lived here for 4 years and it continually amazes me how bad the traffic lights are in Morrisville, directly south of RTP. There is a similar backup going south on 54 at the Cary Parkway intersection. There used to be a huge backup on Morrisville Carpenter at 54.

When I worked at Sony Ericsson (Davis @ Development) and lived at the Camden apartments in Morrisville (54 @ Weston Parkway), a mere 6 miles from my office, I used to go sooooo far out of my way to drive home that it was rediculous. I would leave Sony and head in the reverse direction to 55. Then go down 55 to Morrisville Carpenter, across to Davis, then south on Davis to Morrisville Parkway, then take Morrisville Parkway across to 54, then take 54 back the reverse direction to Weston Parkway. Crazy.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,709,760 times
That's just too simple to do - but you are absolutely correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulgirl View Post
Beermat - I have already tried going straight on Morrisville Carpenter and then turning left on 55. Traffic is backed up there also, and by the time you get on 55 to take the left on CFS, its almost the same. I do make the left on Cary Glen most of times if traffic is already backed up, however I do believe a left turn lane and light at that intersection will benefit everyone.

NoneOfThis - You are lucky to have your commute changed, but I am still having to go the same route. I am surprised no one else is complaining about this. A simple fix to the timing of the traffic light or making them traffic sensitive like the others through Cary would help the commuters a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary