Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 AM

19 posts, read 43,296 times

Advertisements

Has anyone worked with this non-profit? I get nervous about some of the lesser known non-profits and just want to make sure I am not asking my friends and family for donations just to get scammed out of their money.

Any advice will help! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 AM

836 posts, read 3,468,712 times
What "baptist" is it? Is it a specific church? Is it the North Carolina Baptist Men? Is it the Southern Baptist Convention? There are tons of different Haiti mission operations out there, some better run than others. Did someone come to your door? Did a friend ask you to support a trip they were going on with their church? Need more info.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:07 PM

19 posts, read 43,296 times
A Read-A-Thon for charity. I have a book club and was contacted through that.

Read For One. Quick Start Guide. (http://www.bhm.org/bhm/lang-en/read-for-one/get-started.html - broken link)

Old 05-27-2009, 01:28 PM

836 posts, read 3,468,712 times
Well, although I am Baptist, I favor mission groups that are there to help, not to evangelize. This groups primary mission is to convert people to Christianity...they make no bones about it on their website. No question they are also doing good, but it seems secondary.

If it was my money, I would give it to a more direct relief organization. There are many groups out there that are only there to help, and there are also religious organizations that are there to "do unto others" as Jesus told them to, and if someone asks them about their faith or learns about their faith by seeing how they treat others...then all to the good. But I don't think the primary goal should be to beat the faith into the "great unwashed"...but that is just my two cents.

I am sure I am going to get flamed for this.....

Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,286 times
The Baptist Haiti Mission has been operating for more than 60 years. Its primary mission is to share the gospel, but it does it through tangible, development projects. People are not required to "convert" to benefit from the projects. I know the mission very well and have been a long time supporter of them.

BHM supports more than 300 schools throughout Haiti with more than 60,000 students attending. The students from those schools consistently outperform the national average on state exams.

This is a reputable organization, and their read-a-thon is simply a way to raise awareness and funds about its education programs.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,047 times
I have been to the Baptist Misson many times
it was started by the Mr and Mrs Turnbull
www.bhm.org
Mission Baptiste Mountain Maid Self Help Project photo - Beulah Chapel Church of the Nazarene photos at pbase.com

Old 02-02-2010, 01:20 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNC View Post
Well, although I am Baptist, I favor mission groups that are there to help, not to evangelize. This groups primary mission is to convert people to Christianity...they make no bones about it on their website. No question they are also doing good, but it seems secondary.

If it was my money, I would give it to a more direct relief organization. There are many groups out there that are only there to help, and there are also religious organizations that are there to "do unto others" as Jesus told them to, and if someone asks them about their faith or learns about their faith by seeing how they treat others...then all to the good. But I don't think the primary goal should be to beat the faith into the "great unwashed"...but that is just my two cents.

I am sure I am going to get flamed for this.....
Yes. My husband's church sent their donation to a Clinton effort. They do much volunteer work in the community, visiting volunteer nurses, meals on wheels for the weekends when our local civic group stops providing meals. They never proselytize, believing God leads people to them when they are ready. Because they do not force their religion on people and believe God works in mysterious ways, they end up doing much more good in the community than churches with many times more congregation. All their financial records are open each year.

I am not a member, but encourage my husband to give to this honest group because if anyone is doing Gods work on earth, they must be.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,408 times
to sparksgirl re Baptist Haiti Mission. Our church has supported this mission, begun by Wallace Turnbull, since the mid 1950's. We sent a team there to learn about what they are doing 3 years ago, and were wonderfully suprised to learn how much they are helping in Haiti. They have mission schools that have 65 thousand students. they are teaching about re-forestation to help with the devastating erosion of the land--they are teaching sanitation and health. they have a hospital and clinics.
After the arthquake last winter, they worked with Samaritan's purse to get supplies and aid to the places where it was needed.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-25-2010 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: No solicitation of any type allowed on this site!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary