Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,241 times

Advertisements

So we've been here over 2 months and still don't have a phone book. Granted I can look things up online--when I can get my kids off the computer that is--if I know what I'm looking for. Back in San Antonio we got 2-3 phone books a year dropped right on our doorstep by various companies. Here in Holly Springs I can't get ATT so I understand why I didn't get a book from them. We had TWC for phone and they certainly didn't give us anything. The previous owners cleaned the house out of everything--including window coverings but that's another issue altogether. I'd really like a yellow pages so I can see what's out there. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,372 times
Watch out what you ask for..... we get about 6 dropped on the doorstep every year. I could send ya a few!! lol
I put most of them directly in the recycling bin. What a waste of paper.....

EDIT: I think most Chamber of Commerce offices will have a local phone book to give you. I know the one in chapel hill does....

Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,269 times
Hotels get them by the boatload. The visitors bureau might be able to help.

Like the other poster, I also get about 3 left on my porch each Jan-Feb...I never use them, do it all on line.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,934,977 times
We just got new Yellow Pages books dropped off last week at our house (the real ones). We too get books from several companies each year, all of which go straight to the recycling bin.

I know you know you can search the yellow pages online. You can also download the full directory to your computer.

AT&T Real Yellow Pages Online - Download Directory (http://www.realpageslive.com/skin/entrymap/_att/downloads.asp - broken link)

Old 08-25-2010, 12:31 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Go to a recycling place where people have unloaded theirs. If you get one off the top of the pile, it probably won't be dirty. There are certain times of year where it seems there's a new one every week.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:33 PM

120 posts, read 498,359 times
My garbage?

Old 08-25-2010, 01:10 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,241 times
Okay so I guess we just landed here the wrong month. I'll keep an eye out for one or maybe visit one of those big recylcing cans. Thanks for the info!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:03 PM

161 posts, read 581,302 times
I thought you couldn't recycle phone books in the normal recycling bins? I thought you had to take them someplace special.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:11 PM

161 posts, read 581,302 times
Default Telephone book recycling

Yep, I'm right. Wake County does not accept phone books for recycling.

The Official City of Raleigh Portal - Telephone Book Recycling

"It is not permissible to put telephone books or other directories in curbside recycling bins to be recycled. The reason is that paper in telephone books has been recycled many times already and it no longer can be made into a paper product...to coincide with their delivery schedule, Raleigh Recycling sets up collection boxes specifically for telephone books and directories at several recycling drop off centers each year..."

Old 08-25-2010, 09:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ech86 View Post
Yep, I'm right. Wake County does not accept phone books for recycling.
HELLO??:

Quote:
"It is not permissible to put telephone books or other directories in curbside recycling bins to be recycled. The reason is that paper in telephone books has been recycled many times already and it no longer can be made into a paper product...to coincide with their delivery schedule, Raleigh Recycling sets up collection boxes specifically for telephone books and directories at several recycling drop off centers each year..."
They most certainly do take them for recycling. I never said they were in the curbside recycling boxes. The drop-off center I go to most assuredly has a phone book "dumpster" there.

Quote:
Yep, I'm right.
"Nope, you're not".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary