Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 06:03 AM

180 posts, read 733,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmarie
i'minformed, I quess I should be a bit more clear We are leaving our home of 40+ years--which I really don't want to do at this point in my life. Even though I've only heard great things about living in NC, I still don't really want to leave our home state because of life long friends, family, etc...

However, my husband has taken a job down in Cary. It all has happened in the last month. To say the least I'm a bit overwhelmed because I know nothing of the area, other then what I've researched.

I don't want to make it sound like we are fickle and just picked an area to live in passing through to Mertle Beach. Or that we have been thinking of moving and ended up picking Cary, it is the location my husband was transfered to.

As far as the $375 price range, I'm not 100% familiar with price housing in the Raleigh area--what is considered high/low, etc... In our area here--$375 is what an average house will get you. I guess what I'm looking for is a nieghborhood which will appreciate while we decide where we would like to stay for the long term.

I will be going down to visit, check out the area & meet with a realtor--just getting some opinions from others on this board--which I was glad to find, by the way!
Wow! 40+ years in your home so that puts your husband at 60+ and they transfered him to Cary? Couldn't he take an early retirement? sorry not prying just curious why he would take a transfer at that age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 07:52 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Park at West Lake? I love it! I sold two houses out there last year. One has already appreciated $50,000 and I am not kidding!

Don't like K****? Yhea, he is pretty much useless!

But...even if you are going onsite and there is an agent or a sales associate there...please take a buyer's agent! You deserve representation. Its free to you. The Realtor's commission is built into the base price of the house. You are not saving any money by dealing with the onsite person (who works for the seller/builder). You should always have a buyer's agent no matter which neighborhood you go to.

I love Park at West Lake and if I could convince my 12 year old to switch schools...I would have bought in there last year too!

Vicki

Old 08-14-2006, 08:16 AM

225 posts, read 953,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinmass
Wow! 40+ years in your home so that puts your husband at 60+ and they transfered him to Cary? Couldn't he take an early retirement? sorry not prying just curious why he would take a transfer at that age.
Scott...Sorry for the mix up, not 40 years in our home, 40 years in the same area...we are in our early 40's.

Vicki & Stef, I'll have my husband check out the Park at West Lake...thanks! jmarie

Old 08-14-2006, 10:58 AM

180 posts, read 733,612 times
Oh, good, glad you are in your early 40's. The park looks good and lots of homes to choose from. Looks like many in your price range and there all new!
See ya there some day in the near future...

Old 02-12-2007, 10:14 PM

16 posts, read 83,381 times
I looked at the Park at West Lake and saw a new home that I loved but it backs up to West Lake Road which also deads ends into the water treatment plant (the realtor on site never mentioned it when I toured the property!) What do you think about how the plant will affect the future appreciation of those homes?

Old 02-13-2007, 07:16 AM

237 posts, read 1,029,274 times
Pheck out Wescott too. It is just down the road from park at west lake. when we were looking we had it narrowed down to: Park at West Lake, Sunset Oaks and Wescott. we didnt like the idea of the water treatment plant at Park at West Lake. we really thought it would be an issue for re-sale. all the homes at Sunset Oaks were either an arms length from each other or backed up to Pierce Olive or Optimist Farm...again, worried about resale value. Also, the fee to join the water park seemed outrageous! Wonder how many kids in Sunset Oaks sit with their noses pressed to teh fence watching kids swim in that pool!!!

Wescott seemed to be the only subdivision that didnt have any "issues".

Old 02-13-2007, 08:08 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Of the two homes that I sold in The Park at West Lake, one backs right up to the water treatment plant. My client is a single woman and wanted the privacy of not having another home behind her. We couldn't miss the plant...its right there! And...the disclosures state it, so if you missed it...I don't know HOW!

There was a bit of an odor on certain days but according to my client, thats been removed. She can hear a slight "buzz" when her windows are open but it doesn't bother her.

The other home I sold was about a year ago. Same street but other end. I think they should change the name to Vicki Drive but when I mentioned this to Kirby...he just laughed.

Anyway...both homes have gone up about $40,000 in l.5 years. I think they will continue. I thought the homes were alot of house for the money. I have been told by both clients that they love the neighborhood...alot of Bunco groups and EVENTUALLY the pool will be built.

Hope this helps, Vicki

Old 02-13-2007, 08:26 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
What are the HOA dues like in P@WL? My wife goes ga-ga over those houses, but the yards are a tad small for what we're looking for, and once you add in the city taxes and HOA fees, they may be out of our budget. Will the dues change once they get the pools built?

Old 02-13-2007, 08:49 AM

237 posts, read 1,029,274 times
Have you been to NC to visit any of the homes or are you still searching on line from your home state? What is your target date to be settled here? I would think the market will be picking up any week now with spring coming......

Old 02-13-2007, 12:29 PM

225 posts, read 953,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmarie View Post
We are going to be moving down to the raleigh area permently---- hopefully by the 1st of the year. My husband began a job in Cary (1 & 64 area) Aug.1, so he is currently down there in a provided apartment.

Because we are so new to the area & not sure where we want to eventually live, our plan is to buy a home & live in it a few years to get the "lay of the land" and then probably buy our "dream" home.

He wants to be within 15-20 min. of his job. Is there any direction we should be looking in for possible good investment to buy a home? He is leaning toward going west over in the Pittsboro direction. We are in the $375-425 price range and would like at least a 1/2 acre lot--2,500+ square foot home.

We've never been to NC before (other to drive through on the way to Mertle Beach . So, I do not know anything about the area.

Yes, we are working with a realtor, but, I thought I'd try and get some opinions before I meet with him.

Thank You!!! jmarie
LOL...I think this was my first post back in Aug. 06...boy, has a lot changed. To think that I learned in July that we were moving, boy, was that overwhelming & emtional, everything happened so fast. We must of been nuts to think that we where going to buy a home to live in & then sell a few years later & buy another one! Yikes! I have sinced learned that no way was I going to move 3 times!

Well, I did move down the first of the year. We left 80% of our items up in our MI home (which is currently on the market) & are in a small rental in Cary. I'm glad we took this route. It gives me time to "regroup". And obviously, look around the area to see where we would like to settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary