Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 07:49 PM

225 posts, read 954,069 times

Advertisements

We are going to be moving down to the raleigh area permently---- hopefully by the 1st of the year. My husband began a job in Cary (1 & 64 area) Aug.1, so he is currently down there in a provided apartment.

Because we are so new to the area & not sure where we want to eventually live, our plan is to buy a home & live in it a few years to get the "lay of the land" and then probably buy our "dream" home.

He wants to be within 15-20 min. of his job. Is there any direction we should be looking in for possible good investment to buy a home? He is leaning toward going west over in the Pittsboro direction. We are in the $375-425 price range and would like at least a 1/2 acre lot--2,500+ square foot home.

We've never been to NC before (other to drive through on the way to Mertle Beach . So, I do not know anything about the area.

Yes, we are working with a realtor, but, I thought I'd try and get some opinions before I meet with him.

Thank You!!! jmarie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2006, 08:13 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmarie

He wants to be within 15-20 min. of his job. Is there any direction we should be looking in for possible good investment to buy a home? He is leaning toward going west over in the Pittsboro direction. We are in the $375-425 price range and would like at least a 1/2 acre lot--2,500+ square foot home.
=========

Welcome to the forum!
Your husband won't be in within 15-20 minutes drive from Pittsboro to Cary factoring in traffic. It's bumper to bumper from Pittsboro all the way down I 64. In your price range, I would suggest moving closer in. Some others from the Raleigh, Cary, Apex area can probably give you more specific locations. Pittsboro, I know. I know that drive, too. Wouldn't care to do it myself.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Yac; 08-14-2006 at 02:46 PM..

Old 08-13-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the forum!
Your husband won't be in within 15-20 minutes drive from Pittsboro to Cary factoring in traffic. It's bumper to bumper from Pittsboro all the way down I 64. In your price range, I would suggest moving closer in. Some others from the Raleigh, Cary, Apex area can probably give you more specific locations. Pittsboro, I know. I know that drive, too. Wouldn't care to do it myself.
Thanks Cassie! That's good information to know about the heavy traffic (he wouldn't like it either). Thanks for the tip!!

Old 08-13-2006, 08:32 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
If you are looking to get the "feel" of the area why on EARTH would you buy a $375k house when you first move here only to sell it later for your dream home?. I'm sorry, but as I've seen in other threads by other people; I question your sincerity. Not only because of that; but because you said you wanted to move to the area "permently", and you only ever drove through the area when on your way to "mertle" beach.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
If you are looking to get the "feel" of the area why on EARTH would you buy a $375k house when you first move here only to sell it later for your dream home?. I'm sorry, but as I've seen in other threads by other people; I question your sincerity. Not only because of that; but because you said you wanted to move to the area "permently", and you only ever drove through the area when on your way to "mertle" beach.

i'minformed, I quess I should be a bit more clear We are leaving our home of 40+ years--which I really don't want to do at this point in my life. Even though I've only heard great things about living in NC, I still don't really want to leave our home state because of life long friends, family, etc...

However, my husband has taken a job down in Cary. It all has happened in the last month. To say the least I'm a bit overwhelmed because I know nothing of the area, other then what I've researched.

I don't want to make it sound like we are fickle and just picked an area to live in passing through to Mertle Beach. Or that we have been thinking of moving and ended up picking Cary, it is the location my husband was transfered to.

As far as the $375 price range, I'm not 100% familiar with price housing in the Raleigh area--what is considered high/low, etc... In our area here--$375 is what an average house will get you. I guess what I'm looking for is a nieghborhood which will appreciate while we decide where we would like to stay for the long term.

I will be going down to visit, check out the area & meet with a realtor--just getting some opinions from others on this board--which I was glad to find, by the way!

Old 08-13-2006, 09:09 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
As a Realtor, myself, I'm glad you have the good sense to have a Realtor and not try to navigate all alone! I'd say if schools are an issue...even though Wake County Public Schools covers most of the area...different schools have different scores and some are better than others. Also...in these areas of Cary and Apex and Holly Springs, new homes tend to outsell older homes. You'll pay a bit more but if you can get in at phase 1 and by the time you are ready to sell, the neighborhood is done, you should get some good appreciation. I agree with your decision not to rent...why throw the money away and the tax deduction. I've had folks come here for the first time and once I've spent a few days with them, showing them differences and what each area has to offer, they are well educated and can make that decision. I've never had a client yet who told me they regretted their decision! Which makes ME feel a whole lot better! Vicki

Old 08-13-2006, 09:21 PM

Yes Vicki, schools will be an issue---also, good idea about getting into phase 1!! thanks!!

Old 08-14-2006, 04:21 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,215 times
I live near 1 & 64 and there are plenty of houses available in that price range and with that description. There are 2 new subdivisions going up on Olive Chapel Rd near 55, you might want to check them out.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:45 AM

32 posts, read 45,730 times
Park at West Lake is a nice area. There are homes available from about 300k and up. High School, Middle School and 2 Elementary School's are all within walking distance. Home appreciation is high right now, some running as high as 30k a year, and it would be probably a 10 minute drive to hwy 1 / 64...

Old 08-14-2006, 05:49 AM

32 posts, read 45,730 times
Default Park at West Lake

Not a fan of the realtor but the neighborhood and location are great. Here is the link to the website...

link removed

Last edited by Yac; 08-14-2006 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary