Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 04:31 PM

108 posts, read 397,353 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Raleigh on Monday and finally got to interview with a school and have found that High Schools in Wake County are structured ENTIRELY differently than those in , which is where I am from. I don't understand the system here. I was told that they run block schedules, but they also have a different teacher the second semester than they do the first semester. Also, a whole year of material is crammed into one semester? I'm completely lost as I come from a state where High School is structured with 6 53 minute classes in a day and you have the same core classes (English, history, math, and science) all year long with the same teacher for an entire year.

I tried to find this info online and haven't had any luck. Can someone please explain this system to me in non-Raleigh native terms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 04:38 PM

27 posts, read 95,009 times
When i was in high school up in PA we went to a block schedule. Instead of 8 45 minute periods year round, we had 4 classes for half the year, 90 minutes each day (with a half hour lunch sometime during the 3rd block). I would guess that's what they meant by block schedule.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:26 PM

709 posts, read 935,274 times
Welcome to the block schedule!!

It stinks, wait until your kid has math first semester 9th grade then gets math 2nd semester 10th grade ONE FULL YEAR apart!!

It is used only for discipline and less movement.

It was used in the 1970s it did not work then. It will not work now, heck I have taught in the block heck give some pillows they are sleeping after 75 mins!!

Oh you cannot run away from the block the entire nation is going that way!

Old 06-27-2007, 06:55 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
We were on a block schedule this year and they changed teachers for Science and history/social studies in the second semester. They get 1.5 hours of instruction for each course instead of 50 and can therefore do it in one semester.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:07 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
This is yet another reason I've decided not to look in Wake Cty. I dont' like this schedule (as well as year round schools, overcrowding and redistricting...). Our HS in MA has block schedules 2 days a week but I like it because the rotate the periods through so that once/week, the kids get a double period (1.5 hours) so they can accomplish something. Other than that, except for some electives, all courses are year long, not semester.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:27 AM

27 posts, read 95,009 times
I actually enjoyed being in the block scheduling. We could get more done in a day having longer classes. I was in all honors in AP courses, so maybe that has something to do with it. Just seemed like we were better able to grasp concepts of math and science if we had more time to discuss/experiment.

Also, if you fell asleep, you got a longer nap!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:51 AM

Kids get way more done in a day with block scheduling and they have more time to relax and concentrate on the subject being presented. IMO, the block scheduling was lower stress on the students. We love it even though I thought we'd hate it. They also have more opportunity to work with the teacher if they are having problems (like going over a frustrating math problem) and have less homework and are able to do more hands on, in class and group projects.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:42 PM

I'm actually fine with the block scheduling, we had that in CA. I don't understand how the semester system works with having one subject only half the year. I'm specifically wondering how this works with English. I interviewed for a position teaching English and they explained that I would be teaching English 1 first semester and English 3 second semester. I thought I understood what they were saying, but now I don't think I have a grasp on how this system works.

Can someone give me a summary of the whole different classes each semester thing? I just don't understand it. Thanks.

Also, does anyone know if middle schools are run the same way or if they have the same English teacher all year long? Do private schools run the same way as well?

Thanks for all your input.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:47 PM

Can you tell us what school it is They're not all run the same.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Can you tell us what school it is They're not all run the same.
Knightdale High School

Do you know which high schools DO NOT run this way? I'm not really happy about spending one semester teaching my students information that they are highly likely to forget because they don't have English again until the following year. But, again, I don't know if I am understanding the system correctly. If anyone could help to explain it to me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary