Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:25 PM

133 posts, read 450,832 times

Advertisements

We just got back from a DC trip with our kids (3, 8, and 8). Whoever invented the portable dvd players needs a big kiss. The kids watched a couple movies and we barely heard a peep from them on the whole trip. There is nothing along 85, and not much along 95 either. We ended up making a considerable detour on our way up though - a day at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 09:30 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,453,147 times
That is a boring drive up 85. We used to make it several times a year when my in-laws lived in VA. There is a rest stop on 85 that has a small slide/climbing gym thingy. Nice for the kids to stretch their legs a bit. I can't remember which stop...I think it's on the VA side of the highway. And if I remember correctly it's the only one on 85 in Virginia before you hit 95.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:20 PM

6,793 posts, read 8,985,561 times
I'm surprised at the folks who complain about 85. I think it's one of the more beautiful drives I've taken. It's a whole lot better than driving from one end of North Carolina to another on 40. I go out of my way to take 85 when I go between the Triangle and DC. I guess some people aren't happy unless there is a Starbucks or a Walmart every 20 miles. South Hill, VA is always there as a half way stopover between DC and Durham.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:57 PM

3,286 posts, read 8,520,137 times
85 is an awesome drive and while it can be boring, it is a much nicer driver than 64 to 95. Once we get on 95 in Petersburg the drive pretty much sucks. I to would stick to just taking 95 right through Richmond (rather than the loop). Of course if you take 85, then you get on 95 north of where you could take 295 anyway. Make sure that you do the speed limit or very close to it in South Hill, VA as they usually have at least one cruiser running radar there.

Traffic can be very stop and go north of Richmond and especially Fredericksburg to points north. Of course 95 south out of DC is much worse on a Friday.

Side note....if you want a really pretty drive I would suggest taking creedmoor rd. north to Oxford and then taking rt. 15 north all the way through Virginia where it combines with rt. 29 in Culpepper, then you hit I-66 in Manassas and take that to other points in NoVA or into DC. Nice rolling hills, beautiful countryside and you go through a few small towns. I've done that drive so much that it's boring now, but it does offer beautiful scenery. It's the exact same milege from my house in Raleigh to my in-laws in NoVA, but it takes an exta 1-1.5 hours depending. You won't hit any traffic that way (at least until you get to I-66), but it takes longer because the 55 mph speed limit and the many small towns you have to drive through.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:21 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,252,574 times
I also agree that 85 is better 64 to 95. Much less traffic, much prettier. Fewer Starbucks and other assorted "attractions," but if you bring enough provisions in the car, you'll be fine

Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,453,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'm surprised at the folks who complain about 85. I think it's one of the more beautiful drives I've taken. It's a whole lot better than driving from one end of North Carolina to another on 40. I go out of my way to take 85 when I go between the Triangle and DC. I guess some people aren't happy unless there is a Starbucks or a Walmart every 20 miles. South Hill, VA is always there as a half way stopover between DC and Durham.
Have you ever done it with small children? I'm all for a beautiful drive, but little kids get tired of looking at trees. It's really helpful to have a diversion...not Starbucks, just someplace interesting to visit.

One thing we always did was to bring a ball. Then when we stopped at the rest area we had something to play with so they could get their wiggles out.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 PM

804 posts, read 1,997,703 times
richmond native here -- weighing in on the 95/295 discussion for any future drivers:

there isn't too much of a time difference going 295 around versus 95 through the city of richmond. although there may be a mileage difference. i select one or the other depending on the time of day. specifically, take 295 around the city if it is anywhere near morning, mid-day, or evening rush hour in richmond; take 95 through the city if there are no pending downtown richmond events of which you are aware &/or non-rush-hour times. beware that when you take 95 through the city there is a point where it intersects with interstate 64 downtown & it can be a nightmare if it's a major event or a summer saturday morning (when people are traveling to the beach areas).

as for the discussion on 85 v 95 from cary to richmond -- 85 is definitely shorter but does have less stops. essentially there's nothing between raleigh & south hill, va (which is a good halfway point for stopping). from there the next major area is petersburg right around the 85/95 merge. your kids may enjoy some of the battlefields in petersburg or even the citie of henricus (Henricus Historical Park) which is pretty neat for history buffs.

your trip from richmond to DC can get treacherous based on the day/time of travel, so it might be worthwhile to stop with the kids in richmond overnight to allow them to have a break before hopping into the car to battle northward. best of luck to you!

Old 08-30-2010, 02:07 PM

355 posts, read 955,217 times
Interesting that some people here haven't found a difference between 295 and 95 around Richmond. I've driven Raleigh to DC more times than I can count (did it yet again last week), and I swear that 95 is quite a bit quicker. 295 loops you quite a ways out of the way. I've run through Richmond at all hours including numerous morning and evening rush hours and never had a problem. The traffic can be heavy, but I've never had to slow down much. Maybe I'm just really lucky, but I wouldn't think of taking 295 and I never give Richmond a thought. It's childs' play compared to anywhere around DC.

The only trouble I ever have is anywhere from Dumfries to DC. Through that stretch no one drives in the right lane and the two left lanes are perpetually *******sed up with people going under the speed limit. So aggravating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary