Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:01 PM

24 posts, read 52,487 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My husband and I are looking at several different areas to live in the triangle and surrounding areas. I would like to ask in your opinion, are there any towns or communities in particular that have a healthy/proactive attitude about their neighborhoods/environment? We are looking for an area where people feel comfortable taking walks and where we can find an organic grocery store. Also, do your major chain grocery stores provide both fresh & frozen produce?

~Thank you in advance for your input ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 09:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
There are Whole Foods Grocery Stores in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and Cary. Several of the other Major Chains here (Harris Teeter, Kroger, Earth Fare, Lowes Food) offer organic produce as well. There are also some awesome farmers markets that offer local organic vegies and meats.

Some people may point you to Chapel Hill or Carrboro, but I think there are people focused on healthy lifestyles in every town in the Triangle.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:14 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni20030 View Post
Also, do your major chain grocery stores provide both fresh & frozen produce?
Are you serious?

Where do you think you're moving? What do you think life is like here?

Yes, we're like the rest of the Westernized world, and the grocery stores provide both fresh and frozen produce.

It's been that way for more than half a century in most places in the United States.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Are you asking about the whole state (as your thread title suggests) or just the Triangle (as it says within your text)?

Carrboro is the "crunchiest" town in the state, either way. But I agree that your grocery store question is an odd one. What must you imagine North Carolina to be like, to ask that?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:57 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Are you serious?

Where do you think you're moving? What do you think life is like here?

Yes, we're like the rest of the Westernized world, and the grocery stores provide both fresh and frozen produce.

It's been that way for more than half a century in most places in the United States.
Too funny!!! I guess some folks still think of the South as being a bit backwards?!!

Old 08-30-2010, 03:49 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
We have TV and electricity in our house. People feel comforable walking (if they are healthy) and organics can be found at some farm markets.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:41 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,180 times
Just came in from my outhouse and thought I'd chime in.

Cary has an extensive greenway system, an extensive network of bike trails, and a strong parks and recreation department. Tough to find a town that doesn't offer more opportunities to stay fit if you want to.

The state farmer's market in Raleigh is a great source of local produce.

Come have a look around-don't be scared.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:52 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,416 times
lots of proactive activities here in NC :

White Trash People*|*Archive*|*Funny

Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,276 times
Okay y'all, give the OP a bit of a break. It's possible that wherever she is moving from it might be difficult to find fresh & frozen vegetables??? Or maybe she's been somewhere like that and wanted to see what we have here.???
Regardless, we ALL occasionally ask questions that seem odd.

To the OP, FWIW, you will find even in many small rural counties in NC, there are Farmers Markets that sell locally grown vegetables. They will range from organic to conventional veggies.... the ratio of each kind of depends on where you are.

While I think CH & Carrborro are the most progressive in terms of their local governments looking at impacts on the environment, you will find many people in the Triangle area who share your views. The City of Durham has a plan to reduce it's carbon foot print. I imagine other local cities do as well. I live in Durham so I'm not sure about Cary, Raleigh etc. Others probably know officially what their cities are doing.

Good luck with the move.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:54 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,865,906 times
Phew, just got thru fighting the gang member from next door for the last can o' creamed corn at the corner gro store. Hate that I had walk to the corner. Truly, to us, this is how your post comes across. It seems you didn't mean to offend us but really, for you to think that we might not have these things here, is pretty surprising. Is is like this where you live now, is that why you asked?

Anyhow, I'm with Brentwood but get what PDXMom says too.

In addition to the above, we also have lots of home grown produce, co-ops, and local small farms. You can join one and pay from $300 to $600 yr roughly, and get fresh produce and such delivered to your home every week. The farm at the end of my street does this and they have eggs, honey, berries, and the usual array of vegs. Grocery stores are Harris Teeter, Lowes Foods, Fresh market, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Food Lion, Kroger, Costco, etc.

You should know that the triangle area - Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, has a high % of educated residents. We have many universities here, and folks from all over the US and from around the world. This is a very diverse area.

Many neighborhood's have walking trails, or sidewalks, we have lots of parks, ck out the city of Raleigh website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary