Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times

Advertisements

I didn't get any notice from the school...and I live in Holly Springs. As for this issue...I'm from CA and there were many famous child abduction cases as we all know...in many...probably most cases these guys start out by hanging out where kids might be...this is not uncommon. In many cases they have several failed attempts to lure kids in before they finally just physically take a kid off the street. So I don't believe that you can be too careful...these are our kids we are talking about! Believe me, Holly Springs police need something to do : ) But I don't think I'd have a problem walking up to someone parked in my neighborhood to ask what they are up too...its completely reasonable in this day & age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 06:35 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
I call the police frequently to report suspicious stuff, about 99% of which probably turns out to be nothing. But they've never said I was overreacting. They've always said they'd check it out and that if you're ever unsure, you should report it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
so we live in a society where we're told to be alert and vigilant and when we are the cary cops tell us we're overreacting **scratches head**

Old 08-31-2010, 09:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I too take down license numbers and time and date. Guess I watched too much Law and Order.

But I think the best thing I can do is regularly remind my kids to

BE AWARE of YOUR SURROUNDINGS

Don't even talk to anybody you don't know in a car and never fall for the old "help me find my puppy" routine. We do roll playing in our family to help them with any possible situation they might face. It gets kinda silly and fun at times but I think if they have some remembrance of what we practiced it could possibly save their lives.

They are only 8 and are never more than half a block from our house and usually there are other kids outside too. But I worry most about my teeny tiny 4'9" 27 year old single daughter who lives in Atlanta. She would be such an easy mark but thankfully she is rarely alone.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
HS_Dude, are you a guy? I can understand a man having no hesitancy. It's great that you can feel confident to be so direct with a stranger. I commend you.

However, it's not always the same world for women as it is for men. It might be prudent for a woman to be more cautious.
I understand that. And by no means am I a "tough guy". It was daylight and I could see him and his hands. If it were night, I would have been more cautious.

We are lucky (at least here in Holly Springs) that crime is low and we have a police force that can respond. So if you ever feel hesitant to approach someone, by all means call the cops. I'm sure that they understand and even if the person is legit, it's better safe than sorry, in my opinion.

All it takes is for me to turn my back and run in and do a chore or something for something bad to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary