Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:21 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,275,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCScrapmom View Post
We rented the house through a Real Estate agent. His response upon me inquiring about whether the homeowners are up to date on their mortgage was, "Oh, I'm sure they are". Thanks...that's helpful. We don't have any contact with the homeowners....not even a phone number so I can't ask them directly. I used to think that for the most part, everyone paid their bills, but I don't think that you can assume that anymore and I don't think it's out of line to ask when you're paying rent on a home that could potentially get pulled out from under you with minimal notice. It happens a lot and has happened to a couple of people we know. It's a big thing to move 5 people and over 2000 sq. ft. of stuff.

My original question was more aimed at....is there a way through public records and such to check up on this or do I have to rely on the agent's "Gosh, I think so" answer. Some of the previous suggestions are places to start toward that end I think.
There are a few rentals on our MLS so the Agent probably did a search for you and showed you some of the rentals until you found one. This Agent may have gotten $50 to $100 compensation for time and gas. However, if this Agent isn't involved with a property management company, the Agent has no more or less knowledge than you do.

I'd start with the Sheriff Dept. Explain the situation. I bet they'd be happy to help.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 AM

118 posts, read 345,693 times
No, in this case we found the house on Craigslist listed by the realtor who is acting in the homeowner's behalf as the property manager. We pay our rent to him and call him when something breaks....things like that. In other words, he doesn't work for us...he works for the homeowner.

Again, I have no real reason to suspect that they aren't paying their mortgage other than that one unpaid bill, just that I'd feel better if I knew for sure.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:08 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,590,433 times
I know someone who was in that situation. The place they rented from an individual was foreclosed on. Bank gave them notice and they had a few months to move out and got them rent free.

The security deposit was never returned. Obviously if your landlord can pay the mortgage you security deposit is probably not safe with them either.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:17 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,870,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCScrapmom View Post
No, in this case we found the house on Craigslist listed by the realtor who is acting in the homeowner's behalf as the property manager. We pay our rent to him and call him when something breaks....things like that. In other words, he doesn't work for us...he works for the homeowner.

Again, I have no real reason to suspect that they aren't paying their mortgage other than that one unpaid bill, just that I'd feel better if I knew for sure.
If you pay your rent to him, what's he doing with the money? Is he giving it to the homeowner? Is he tasked with paying the mortgage somehow? I wouldn't accept "gosh I think so" from him. I'd tell him, " YOU are acting as a property manager. I'm paying YOU rent money that should, in turn, be used to pay the mortgage. I'd like to see an up-to-date mortgage statement, with their personal info redacted, showing that I'm not going to be put on the street in 2 months."

Old 09-02-2010, 09:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,175,303 times
it most definitely is NOT the property managers responsibility to pay the mortgage. It is the holder of the mortgage responsibility to pay the mortgage. If he is not getting payments from the property manager, that is not your business. I assume you have receipts?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,175,303 times
for all OP knows there was some dispute with the lawn care people about services not being done, etc and that is why this ONE bill has been unpaid for so long. I think you have jumped to alot of assumptions.

Why don't you post your original inquiry on the Rent Forum of CD. There are alot of professional ppl there who might be able to help you.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:11 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,729,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you pay your rent to him, what's he doing with the money? Is he giving it to the homeowner? Is he tasked with paying the mortgage somehow? I wouldn't accept "gosh I think so" from him. I'd tell him, " YOU are acting as a property manager. I'm paying YOU rent money that should, in turn, be used to pay the mortgage. I'd like to see an up-to-date mortgage statement, with their personal info redacted, showing that I'm not going to be put on the street in 2 months."
Unless you have some kind of really odd clause in your lease you would have absolutely no standing to make such a demand. While I understand the OP's concern, from a legal standpoint I don't think it is any of their business. I mean, say the roles were reversed and the landlord wanted to see his bank statements to make sure he could keep paying the rent. I am pretty sure most people would suggest that he tell his landlord to go pound sand.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:41 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,870,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
Unless you have some kind of really odd clause in your lease you would have absolutely no standing to make such a demand. While I understand the OP's concern, from a legal standpoint I don't think it is any of their business. I mean, say the roles were reversed and the landlord wanted to see his bank statements to make sure he could keep paying the rent. I am pretty sure most people would suggest that he tell his landlord to go pound sand.
I agree with you but I think the property manager still needs to be pressed a little.

I agree that it's a jump to go from a lawn service not being paid to a mortgage not being paid. If the lawn service is leaving the bill at the house, clearly they do not have the homeowner's address.

Also - my sister went thru something when she moved with a lawn service she had used once. When she moved, she kept her old phone number. This place called her up and said they'd been over and treated the lawn and why weren't they paid. My sister said "what address were you at?" and they named the old address. My sister said "I haven't lived there in a year, so obviously you had no permission to do a treatment on that lawn if you're calling me about it".

Lawn service said "well, where do you live now?"
That was the end of the conversation!

Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 AM

18,184 posts, read 15,761,055 times
I too think it's a leap to assume the house is in danger of foreclosure if a lawn care bill is not paid.

For all you know the owner may own the majority of the house and only have a small outstanding mortgage.

I really would not assume that you are in danger of losing your rental house because of the lawn care bill situation--that is a big jump to panicville based on one unpaid bill. Why don't you instead call the lawn care company and give them the name and phone number of the realtor who is acting as the property mgr on the house so they can forward the bill to him/her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary