Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 12:15 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenaj View Post
Im a 49 yr old woman who finds herself embarrased to b one of these panhandlers. I fught for disability for 5 yrs n there is no help for adults without children so please dont lump us all into one judgement. If someone nos other assistance i can get to get back on my feet i would gladly do it. I have never broken the law in my life n now have court for panhandling...i would never break a law on purpose but things change when ur cold n hungry, i c that now...this is a problem that needs a solution...i am now homeless, lost my home n my car...thx for listening...even if i chg one persons judgement n yes i no theres career ppl out there all im saying is some of us dont want to b tere, it is very degrading especially when u had no control over becoming disabled n the/system u payed into ur whole life turns its back on u!
Have you checked out Vocational Rehabilitation Services? If you meet criteria for having a disability that affects your ability to seek or keep a job (such as a medical diagnosis), they will help you figure out a career that is a good fit, help you get the training you need to get started, help you search for a job and provide support while you get started. They will work with employers on accommodations for your disability. Often there are programs where employers can be reimbursed for some of your initial OJT costs. It's a great program.

NC DVRS: Employment Services

Voc Rehab Counselors are usually terrific people who are able to tap into a range of resources depending on what each client requires.

What you need is an honest desire to work and the willingness to do your part.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I have to ask you this question. If you did find yourself down on your luck, would you spend your day trying to make your life better or trying to get cash money on a street corner? Do you think your work effort is part of the reason you're not looking for handouts?
I get down on my luck all the time but have yet to be put out on the street. People become homeless from bad decisions not bad luck.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,049 times
Default Don"t judge!!!!!

Yes, some are doing it in place of a job. some do it for drugs or alcohol. The then ones in need and have been turned away from "CRISIS PREVENTION" or Churches. Maybe they are disabled and fighting the system to get a disability check. But no matter why they need it....they feel the need to go out there and ask strangers to help them. But if you give a dollar...a sandwich....or a 20 dollar bill. you did a good thing and that is between you and your higher power. It is then up to them to also do the right thing. You will most likely never know. But you can know you helped someone with whatever they needed and that is a good thing. Don't judge, you don't know everyone's story, or life.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyDevauhn View Post
Yes, some are doing it in place of a job. some do it for drugs or alcohol. The then ones in need and have been turned away from "CRISIS PREVENTION" or Churches. Maybe they are disabled and fighting the system to get a disability check. But no matter why they need it....they feel the need to go out there and ask strangers to help them. But if you give a dollar...a sandwich....or a 20 dollar bill. you did a good thing and that is between you and your higher power. It is then up to them to also do the right thing. You will most likely never know. But you can know you helped someone with whatever they needed and that is a good thing. Don't judge, you don't know everyone's story, or life.

First of all thanks BeckyDevauhn,

It seems that most people are not as open minded as you on this topic. And as everyone knows not everyone has the same story. I am a Military Vet who fell on bad luck due to his parents passing away and lost everything. What gets me is the people who say get a job or it makes our town look bad obviously don't have a clue. Do you know how much pride it takes from you to ask another person for help or money. Not only that these people get penalized with a fine and a mark on their record that may prevent them from getting a job to get them back on their feet from the police. You people joke and call them names because you were fortunate to have. And to me that's sad and I sit here and ask myself is this what I fought for? For those that have a good job or have would you hire me if I came in without the proper clothing or hygiene? No you wouldn't. The churches who we turn to now, have limited ways for people to travel to get jobs, limited the help in clothing dept. and etc. Also the resources and government of the state have got so behind in paperwork that people have years to wait to be heard or seen. So when you tell me go find a job (I'm gonna say get on yours and catch up!!!) Lets not forget the homeless people that have died because of this slow system. Some took their lives and others were killed due to the wait times of your programs and had not the will to carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary