Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 06:53 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times

Advertisements

A) Durham (Hope Valley, Woodcroft, Southpoint) to Downtown Raleigh
B) North/Northeast Raleigh to RTP
C) Wake Forest to RTP
D) Wake Forest to Raleigh
E) North/Northeast Raleigh to Durham

My guess, as an outsider, is that ranked from best to worst I'd say

D
A
B
C
E

Agree? Disagree? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 07:34 PM

306 posts, read 1,136,223 times
A fine and amusing question!

Yes, surely Wake forest to RTP is the worst.

Personally, I would imagine Wakefield or Bedford to RTP to be the worst both to and from RTP-based work. Not only to you have to negotiate the crawl that is Falls of the Neuse, then you hit the 540 to 40 nonsense.

Bm

Old 06-28-2007, 08:08 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
C) Wake Forest to RTP

My guess, as an outsider, is that ranked from best to worst I'd say

D
A
B
C
E

Agree? Disagree? Why?
Guess it depends what area of RTP you are going to. I drive it every day and I don’t think it’s bad at all…not short, but not bad and pretty stress free . To get to many areas of RTP from WF you don’t have to go down Falls of the Neuse, 540 or 40.

To say it’s bad across the board is a gross generalization.

I’d hate driving into Raleigh every day from WF more, due to having to deal with Capital and there just not being lots of options to avoid it.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M View Post
A fine and amusing question!

Yes, surely Wake forest to RTP is the worst.

Personally, I would imagine Wakefield or Bedford to RTP to be the worst both to and from RTP-based work. Not only to you have to negotiate the crawl that is Falls of the Neuse, then you hit the 540 to 40 nonsense.

Bm
yep, it depends on where you live in wake forest and where you are going in rtp. my husband drives purnell road in wake forest to miami blvd in rtp and it is 30 minutes, no highways, back roads.

easy breezy

leigh

Old 06-28-2007, 09:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Personally I would HATE any drive drive from NE Raleigh to downtown Raleigh and vice versa. Capital Blvd is the road from H@ll but it's the only straight way to get there. I'd take 40/540 anyday. Now, does anyone remember what the commute from Knightdale to Raleigh used to be like before they built they 64 bypass? Worse than Capital Blvd on a bad day.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:50 PM

137 posts, read 606,987 times
Wow, having only been in Knightdale since the beginning of the year, it's a bit hard for me to fathom that volume of traffic through here. I know it builds quite a bit as you get down to the New Hope Rd and Trawick Road areas. My commute is only Knightdale to Wendell, presently (and yes, I count my blessings). I possibly imagine that the opening of 540 has helped a little bit.

My only other experience has been on I-40 from Clayton all the way up through to RTP. I can see where Wake Forest to RTP would be a rough commute, but the two-lane I-40 crawl between Hwy 1 and Wade Ave is brutal.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:10 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,152 times
A.Durham to Downtown Raleigh possible.

But truly the worst would be Clayton to RTP or Chapel Hill. Easily. Think about the distance.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:58 AM

285 posts, read 1,039,598 times
C) Wake Forest to RTP

I used to commute from Downtown Durham to NC State in Raleigh, and it was not as painful as it sounds. I usually breezed right by folks heading in the opposite direction from Raleigh to RTP who were putting along bumper to bumper.

The worst commute I ever had was from Western Orange County to NC State. Ugh. One morning I left before 8 and didn't arrive to my office until 10 am.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:59 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaClaire View Post
C) Wake Forest to RTP

I used to commute from Downtown Durham to NC State in Raleigh, and it was not as painful as it sounds. I usually breezed right by folks heading in the opposite direction from Raleigh to RTP who were putting along bumper to bumper.

The worst commute I ever had was from Western Orange County to NC State. Ugh. One morning I left before 8 and didn't arrive to my office until 10 am.
This has been my wife's experience, too. She's working in downtown Raleigh and commuting there from our home outside downtown Durham. 35-40 minutes each way (which is a pain) but zero traffic jams or delays to deal with.

I actually thing Durham -> Raleigh is a very good commute for someone who doesn't mind driving distance -- and some people do like time to listen to music, NPR, etc. If your focus is on the shortest time/distance commute, though, not as good a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary