Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 12:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,093,500 times

Advertisements

Okay. I've been here going on two decades, and I thought the tiny creatures buzzing around our butterfly bush were tiny hummingbirds.

My Southern husband said they were insects. I didn't believe him. I looked them up. They are "HUMMINGBIRD MOTHS."

Has anyone ever heard of them? They look just like miniature hummingbirds -- their color, their wings, the shape of their bodies. Unbelievable!

Here's a short clip I found on YouTube.

YouTube - Hummingbird Moth
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 12:52 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,550,351 times
Yes, I've seen them. They are very cool!

Old 09-04-2010, 01:16 PM

260 posts, read 545,582 times
Very common. We have a butterfly bush where I work and I've seen the little things there very often. I actually had to go look the first time this year because it was a very large hummingbird moth.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:43 PM

23 posts, read 43,441 times
If you've got tomatoes or datura you can probably find the hummingbird moth caterpillars. They're pretty big, maybe 3 inches long, and bright green. They have what looks like (but isn't) a stinger on their rear.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:59 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,154 times
I see them all the time in my garden. It's funny to me that people mistake it for a hummingbird - especially since birds don't have antennae or a probiscus. The first time I saw one, I mistook it for a bumblebee.

Here are a few photos I took in my garden last year. They are not skittish around people at all, and this one was very easy to get close to.

Here's a shot of a bumblebee on a coneflower, with a hummingbird moth in the background.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:02 PM

35 posts, read 237,797 times
Oh my goodness! I saw one for the first time just the other night and described it to my wife as a miniature hummingbird!

I'm so glad I saw this as we were both wondering what in the world it was.

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2010, 07:13 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,093,500 times
I thought they were bumblebees, at first, too. Then tiny hummingbirds. If I'm not mistaken, they make a loud buzzing noise, too, much louder than a bee.

(Beautiful shots, Claire_F!)

Old 09-04-2010, 07:20 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,008,146 times
I think the caterpillar stage is the tomato horn worn which will destroy a
tomato plant if not found in time .

Old 09-05-2010, 06:20 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,926,307 times
I used to get a lot of Hummingbird Moth's when I grew gourds a few years back. Haven't seen any lately.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:24 PM

306 posts, read 1,192,449 times
Out here in CA we have them, but you don't see them often.

Back in the late 80's we were in at home with the front door open and something flew in and went down behind the stove. Thought it was a bird or bat (eeeww). A few days later I found it's body (dead) in a potted plant. It was the size of a hummingbird and all gray. I put it in a jar and gave it to my daughter to take to school with her (she was in 4th grade). The teacher told us what it was, I didn't have the internet to look it up on back then (ancient times ). I kept it in the jar and just a few years ago while clearing out some old stuff, I found it. The wings had fallen off but otherwise it was intact. The ones you picture are much prettier.

I saw on TV that down in South America there are butterflies that are the size of parakeets and beautifully colored. They are deep in the rain forest and hardly ever seen. The reporter just happened to see and videotape them live. Amazing.

Look at this site I found. These things are HUGE, If they are around be prepared to DUCK!!!

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/sub...Extremes.shtml

Char
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary