Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,827 times

Advertisements

Durham is great. All this crime is happening in the hood. Stay your butt out of the hood and you know you will be fine.

As for the government, I want to see some outside talen brought in and not these Durham connected people who "look out". Thats how we have so many people that don't care. I have to deal with the city in my business and I hate when I have to call. Although there are some city employees that help out and are very glad to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 07:51 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Ohhhhh, so are we starting to admit that I was right about Durham being a dangerous place and should be avoided? Sounds like it with all the shootings that are constantly on the news.
Not entirely. Durham is still a good place as far as the people in general. I've never hated it bad enough to leave and I'm raising a family here. I live on the north side, where we have some crime, for sure. But it's not nearly as bad as some parts of town. I used to deliver pizzas in the worst neighborhoods in town on Saturday night. That was scary. I still work in some of the neighborhoods, but only in the daytime. If we could only get some down to earth common sense leaders, Durham would flourish as never before. BTW, I've worked in a few neighborhoods in Raleigh that were as bad as anything we have.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-08-2010 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
BTW, I've worked in a few neighborhoods in Raleigh that were as bad as anything we have.
That's true, we did have some rough holes but they were few. Fortunately, we have a city council who cares and the city has been buying the houses in the bad areas, condemning and demolishing, and rebuilding. The roughest hole in Raleigh is now all city-owned (Pender, Boyer, Maple, Carver, Fisher streets). I believe Camden st., Walnut Terrace, and Raleigh Gardens is next and the city will have all the major holes wiped out. Raleigh is really good about "spreading the wealth" by buying homes in nice areas and labeling them as "section 8 housing" (Wakefield has quite a few sec.8 homes). By doing this the tenant only pays 30% of their salary while John Q. Taxpayer pays the difference in the rent based on what the city deems as reasonable.

Check out a few of the city-owned houses. "Drive" up and around the block to see more.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...2,60.56,,0,6.6

Old 09-09-2010, 10:24 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Durham regards me of the city gov't in New Orleans when I lived there.

Corrupt, incompetent, and coddling criminals.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:29 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Ohhhhh, so are we starting to admit that I was right about Durham being a dangerous place and should be avoided? Sounds like it with all the shootings that are constantly on the news.
No, I still like it here - but I would LOVE it if they would do something about all of those outstanding warrants.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:36 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,794 times
I dont think anyone says Durham has no crime. But its not the pits of hell that some people claim it is. I blame probation and easy sentencing for the crime. Almost every serious crime is committed by someone on probation it seems. Thats not just a Durham problem though....

Old 09-10-2010, 10:11 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
Durham's a city. Cities have crime. You want a drab suburban lifestyle, where the scariest thing you face is a sweater sale at some strip mall outlet, then go live in the suburbs.

We Durhamites will happily take the bad with the good.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:44 PM

48 posts, read 184,326 times
i came from the bronx in nyc and durham to me is a walk in the park compared to cities up north. Crime can happen anywhere. i love durham

Old 09-10-2010, 09:09 PM

188 posts, read 748,471 times
Durham is bad news. I make it a priority to not go near Durham...

Old 09-11-2010, 06:43 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
It's all gang on gang crime. I'm more concerned with random acts of violence, or being killed in a car crash than I am about being shot at in a store. Just stay out of and away from gangs, pretty simple. I still really like Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary